Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Newbie Q's

C

Craig Rudge

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome.

We collect our new Ocean this Friday (copy/paste of spec below)and we're heading off down to Woolacoombe foe the weekend (Easewell Farm Park) I really don't want to forget something vital, but as I see it I need a hook-up cable, a tube/funnel for filling the water tank and a 907 gas bottle. Of course there's all the other regular camping/touring stuff, but I'm specifically thinking about kit I need for the vehicle. If anyone has any advise/comments on what's essential I would really appreciate it.

Mandatory Options:

PAINT, DISCOVER NAV & AWNING, PARKING SENSORS AND FOLDING WING MIRRORS, PRIVACY GLASS AND APP CONNECT (NOT ADDED AS REMOVED SAT NAV OPTION), CRUISE CONTROL & SLIDING DOOR. I'm not sure what they mean by "(NOT ADDED AS REMOVED SATNAV OPTION)" I'm not sure whats been removed.

Factory Options:

1 SWIVEL SEAT IN 2ND ROW (NOT AVAIABLE ON 4MOTION) (IF SEATING ISNT SELECTIED IT WILL COME WITH 4 SEATS), Also unclear where this seat will be and if it's fixed to the floor or not.

Best regards

Craig

Hi Craig, Got my cali a few weeks ago went through same questions . I was wondering , as it doesnt come with a gas bottle , would it have a regulator , I called the dealer they said it didnt and I bought one, then when I picked it up in fact it did . The dealer was very nice about their mistake and refunded me the cost . So its worth knowing what it comes with and what one needs.

It does come with a charging connecting lead , just need an extension cable for min 10amps

I bought a bungee for the roof , but havent fitted it yet , a spare safe for the spare tyre , some carpets, mats , levelling blocks , seat covers , a wrap around for the roof ( second hand ) portaloo ( second hand ) things for the kitchen like enamel plates and saucepans with removeable handles . Mattress protectors at Aldi 7£

I think the seat covers and spare safe is the essential items , possibly the bungee too,

Best wishes

If you're just away for the weekend, you won't be likely to need a hook-up cable so if you don't manage to procure one before you go, don't worry.

You might want to get a pair of levelling ramps as at this time of year on campsites you may not get the pick of a level pitch. But you'll manage without them if you need to, some owners don't bother with them at all.

If you fill up the water tank at home, you're unlikely to need to refill it on a short trip. Unless you have a shower fitted for the dog etc.

If you're going to use the cassette awning, some kind of tie-down kit for it is very very advisable. Even on a summer day a sudden squall can be disastrous and expensive, as some poor folks on the forum can attest.

Other than that... bottle opener.

Have a great first trip. :happy

Thanks Niborn. Yes, I double checked on the regulator, so that's sorted. I see what you mean by the charging lead, it comes with the lead for charging from a domestic 240v 3-pin socket I guess? So it's just the extension I need.

Thanks again

If you're just away for the weekend, you won't be likely to need a hook-up cable so if you don't manage to procure one before you go, don't worry.

You might want to get a pair of levelling ramps as at this time of year on campsites you may not get the pick of a level pitch. But you'll manage without them if you need to, some owners don't bother with them at all.

If you fill up the water tank at home, you're unlikely to need to refill it on a short trip. Unless you have a shower fitted for the dog etc.

If you're going to use the cassette awning, some kind of tie-down kit for it is very very advisable. Even on a summer day a sudden squall can be disastrous and expensive, as some poor folks on the forum can attest.

Other than that... bottle opener.

Have a great first trip. :happy

Thanks, I'll obtain a guy rope kit for the awning. And I'll certainly be testing the beer/cider cooling capacity of the fridge.

Cheers

Welcome & congraluation on your new Cali.
You are wise to just take essentials, we have changed things with each trip.
We didn't buy a bungee, we carefully/ slowly have 2 people checking the roof when lowered.Husband has head in the roof space.
We haven't used the water tank yet. Just take large bottles of water which we fill up on campsite.
Spare safe( sold by forum shop)is essential if you want to keep your spare tyre( lots of threads on being stolen ).
We use boginabag for emergency takes little space.
Try comfort of beds before deciding on topperes etc,lots of threads on this.

Throws for rear seats bench to protect if you have children, dogs until you decide what covers.

If you join as VIP can access discounts off forum shop & lots of other partners see VIP lounge.
Have a great first trip.

Thanks Niborn. Yes, I double checked on the regulator, so that's sorted. I see what you mean by the charging lead, it comes with the lead for charging from a domestic 240v 3-pin socket I guess? So it's just the extension I need.

Thanks again
No, it comes with a six inch long lead to plug into a french 2 pin socket!
You will need a normal caravan hook up lead - usually orange - it has a special round pin plug on one end which fits all uk (and 99% of european) hook ups on camp sites, and special round pin socket at the the other that fits into the side of the van.
25m is the normal maximum length you would need on a camp site.
You then will also need a uk 3pin domestic plug to hook up lead adapter if you intend hooking up at home.

This is the uk plug adapter you need

With one of these.

51bW21ITRSL._SX425_.jpg
And this is what comes with the van.

shopping
For water Get a hose like this - about 2ft is long enough to jam one end into the tank & a water bottle will fit onto the rubber connector. If you fill at at home the tankfull should last more than a weekend anyway.

Thanks, I'll obtain a guy rope kit for the awning.

There are various solutions available for this, including guy lines that fix to the tops of the canopy legs, or a web strap that goes over the frame 'rafters' of the awning (a length of nylon rope will also do this job). You can also just hammer in thin pegs through the 'feet' of the awning legs (put them at an angle for more staying power) but that's not as secure as a tie-down kit.

Incidentally while on subject of the awning: make sure if you do leave it up while away from the van, or overnight, that you put one leg significantly lower than the other so any rain will run off rather than collect on the canopy and damage it.

Thanks all for the advice. Where here and just settling down. How do we ensure the vehicle is locked from the outside without the alarm going off? I'm guessing I use the sensor inhibit switch on the B pillar, but the instructions for that seem to be for if you're leaving the vehicle with someone inside.

IMG_3315.JPG

Thanks all for the advice. We're here and just settling down. How do we ensure the vehicle is locked from the outside without the alarm going off? I'm guessing I use the sensor inhibit switch on the B pillar, but the instructions for that seem to be for if you're leaving the vehicle with someone inside.

Thanks all for the advice. We're here and just settling down. How do we ensure the vehicle is locked from the outside without the alarm going off? I'm guessing I use the sensor inhibit switch on the B pillar, but the instructions for that seem to be for if you're leaving the vehicle with someone inside.

If you're outside, use either the b pillar button or two presses of the remote lock. If you are inside, use the lock button on the divers door by the window/mirror controls.

When using the B pillar switch, make sure the drivers door is the last one to close, otherwise the sensors will still be active.

Y
your question doesn't say whether you want to lock it when sleeping inside of if leaving?

If you are sleeping you don't set the alarm obviously and simply lock the van by pressing the internal lock button on the drivers door above the wing mirror adjuster. That way you can open and relock the sliding door during the night.

If you are leaving the van unattended you use a single press of the remote, this will double lock the van and enable the volumetric sensors and anti-tow.

If you leave a human or animal in the car temporarily,( whilst paying for fuel) you can press the b piller button or a double press of the remote, as the b piller button also disables the deadlocks.