Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on purchase

daveyboydanger

daveyboydanger

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello! I'm on my second grape yellow beach and have only love for this brilliant vehicle. It's coming up to 3 years old and I would like to change it.
My plan had been just to wait for the T6.1 and then reorder the same kinda spec (parking heater, DSG, App connect, comfort lighting etc).
When in for an Oil service today my wife saw an Ocean and was very excited about the kitchen etc. She's a writer and is the one that uses the van the most for camping as she goes away to write (without me, the 3 kids or internet distracting her!). My eldest son has Autism, ADD and Down Syndrome and so finds it impossible to holiday away never mind camp and so that means really the most it would ever need to sleep is 4.
We've enjoyed the flexibility of a beach and have never considered the Ocean because of the 4 seats (and the 5th seat pictures look ridiculously cramped). However I wondered whether the 2 seat bench could go all the way to the back of the van on the rails so went to ask Guy at Preston. He showed how far it could go before hitting the brackets that the bed frame go in. Looking at those it seems that they can be removed with an Allen key so in theory that means the bench should go all the way to the back.
So with all that said here are some questions I'd appreciate your help on.
1) if I take those brackets out will the seat go all the way back? If so that will mean 5th seat isn't a cramp at all.
2) do you think I will be making a mistake with my 5 person family getting an Ocean over the Beach (I'm not asking to start the silly debate off again - both are great vans!).
3) have any of you gone from beach to ocean and regretted it?
4) the 30 year edition still seems to be available - worth a go?
5) should I buy now rather than t6.1? New always appeals but by the time the new one is released the loyalty discount will probably have disappeared and the dealer discount maybe squeezed too.
6) Lastly, is there anything I should be thinking about when making this decision?

Thanks everyone. Any thoughts are welcome!

Hello! I'm on my second grape yellow beach and have only love for this brilliant vehicle. It's coming up to 3 years old and I would like to change it.
My plan had been just to wait for the T6.1 and then reorder the same kinda spec (parking heater, DSG, App connect, comfort lighting etc).
When in for an Oil service today my wife saw an Ocean and was very excited about the kitchen etc. She's a writer and is the one that uses the van the most for camping as she goes away to write (without me, the 3 kids or internet distracting her!). My eldest son has Autism, ADD and Down Syndrome and so finds it impossible to holiday away never mind camp and so that means really the most it would ever need to sleep is 4.
We've enjoyed the flexibility of a beach and have never considered the Ocean because of the 4 seats (and the 5th seat pictures look ridiculously cramped). However I wondered whether the 2 seat bench could go all the way to the back of the van on the rails so went to ask Guy at Preston. He showed how far it could go before hitting the brackets that the bed frame go in. Looking at those it seems that they can be removed with an Allen key so in theory that means the bench should go all the way to the back.
So with all that said here are some questions I'd appreciate your help on.
1) if I take those brackets out will the seat go all the way back? If so that will mean 5th seat isn't a cramp at all.
2) do you think I will be making a mistake with my 5 person family getting an Ocean over the Beach (I'm not asking to start the silly debate off again - both are great vans!).
3) have any of you gone from beach to ocean and regretted it?
4) the 30 year edition still seems to be available - worth a go?
5) should I buy now rather than t6.1? New always appeals but by the time the new one is released the loyalty discount will probably have disappeared and the dealer discount maybe squeezed too.
6) Lastly, is there anything I should be thinking about when making this decision?

Thanks everyone. Any thoughts are welcome!
The bench seat cannot go right to the back because of the rear overhead storage locker. Certainly not if someone is expected to sit on the bench seat.

The bench seat cannot go right to the back because of the rear overhead storage locker. Certainly not if someone is expected to sit on the bench seat.
Thanks for that. Will it go further back than the brackets though? Or is that where the locker starts?

Thanks for that. Will it go further back than the brackets though? Or is that where the locker starts?
If the brackets closest to the bench you'll gain about 12". With the headrests down about 2'6" but the locker will be immediately above the bench backrest so no adults could. Sit there.

Last edited:
Have you thought about a caravelle or kombi, then use a tent to sleep a few in when camping?
Other than the beach for seating space + sleeping I think you may struggle for travelling space.

Have you thought about a caravelle or kombi, then use a tent to sleep a few in when camping?
Other than the beach for seating space + sleeping I think you may struggle for travelling space.
Thanks for this. Caravelle seems over priced when you get a beach for 3k more. Plus my wife does want to camp still. Def still want a roof. It’s just whether we could do the ocean or not.

We use the 5th seat a lot, if toddlers are using the back seat you can go back well past the overhead locker as the head rests are lowered/not needed, we have taken out the rear rail stop bracket to increase the travel.
When adults are carried in the rear seat it is positioned to a point that the head rests touch the overhead locker and there is still plenty of space fit and use the 5th seat particular if it is positioned next to the kitchen which allows the passengers legs to stretch into the space between the front seats.
Of course this requires the rear bed frame to be removed first.

Thanks for this. Caravelle seems over priced when you get a beach for 3k more. Plus my wife does want to camp still. Def still want a roof. It’s just whether we could do the ocean or not.
[/Will your Dealer not give you a tester for the weekend?

We use the 5th seat a lot, if toddlers are using the back seat you can go back well past the overhead locker as the head rests are lowered/not needed, we have taken out the rear rail stop bracket to increase the travel.
When adults are carried in the rear seat it is positioned to a point that the head rests touch the overhead locker and there is still plenty of space fit and use the 5th seat particular if it is positioned next to the kitchen which allows the passengers legs to stretch into the space between the front seats.
Of course this requires the rear bed frame to be removed first.
That’s helpful to know. Thanks.
Do you have to remove the bed frame brackets or is it just the stops in the rails? Are they easy to remove?
Have you got any pictures of that set up by any chance?

I suppose it depends if they let us move that bench seat back beyond the stops?! Could ask!

Can you stick with a Beach and buy a removable kitchen pod?

5a744ce4cadc4fab13b1ff90764daf2a.jpg

This one from VanEssa sits behind the front passenger seat.

605b57eb0fb23c4cd4063ee77170e88d.jpg

Can you stick with a Beach and buy a removable kitchen pod?

5a744ce4cadc4fab13b1ff90764daf2a.jpg

This one from VanEssa sits behind the front passenger seat.

605b57eb0fb23c4cd4063ee77170e88d.jpg
Yes, possibly! Just trying to weigh up all the options. I suppose I’ve just been open to thinking about the ocean for the first time and it’s a little tempting. Trying to work out whether it’s silly for us though.

That’s helpful to know. Thanks.
Do you have to remove the bed frame brackets or is it just the stops in the rails? Are they easy to remove?
Have you got any pictures of that set up by any chance?
The bed frame brackets are not a problem, they do not obstruct the travel of the seat, there is no need to remove the front/rear travel stops, it just allows more travel if you require space in the van for any reason.
It is possible to fit a sixth seat in a Ocean/SE but leaves only enough room for a baby on the rear bench, use the search function, six seats in a se, to see photos.

There is plenty of legroom for 3 tall adults in the rear with the 5th seat on the kitchen side & bench positioned with the head restraints just in front of the rear locker. The person sitting behind the 5th seat has the option of stretching their legs out straight either side of the 5th seat, the base of which is a fair bit narrower than the seat itself.

Just need to remove the rear bed base & slide back the stopper in the seat rail that prevents the seat going further back.

The ocean makes a good 5 seater for daily use, & a good camper for 4, its when you go camping with 5 that it starts getting cramped.

There is plenty of legroom for 3 tall adults in the rear with the 5th seat on the kitchen side & bench positioned with the head restraints just in front of the rear locker. The person sitting behind the 5th seat has the option of stretching their legs out straight either side of the 5th seat, the base of which is a fair bit narrower than the seat itself.

Just need to remove the rear bed base & slide back the stopper in the seat rail that prevents the seat going further back.

The ocean makes a good 5 seater for daily use, & a good camper for 4, its when you go camping with 5 that it starts getting cramped.
Thanks for that. Good to know.
It's certainly appealing!

Perhaps you could remove the roof locker?

Back