Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just ordered Cali Ocean - Any advice on essential options please?

About the additional seat. We got one with the California too. Yes, the seat is removable, but it is so heavy that it is very difficult to get it in and out easily. Our seat was put in the camper at the dealer when we collected the van, than I took it out and now it is in the garage (for almost 4 years now).

And just to show how different people use their vans differently:-

Our two extra seats go in and out of our Beach like a yo-yo. 5 seat camper one day, 7 seat MPV the next. They are heavy but only need to be transported from van to bike shed or vice versa. A bit of a faff, but pretty quick once practiced a few times.

Hi All,

We've just ordered an Ocean from VW in Liverpool and need to confirm the
final options imminently. I wondered if anyone would add anything to the options below
in their experience of using as camper van and daily driver - thanks

Current spec of options is:-

Volkswagen California Ocean 150BHP 7 Speed DSG
Ascot Grey Solid Paint
LED Lights
Front and Rear Sensors with Rear View Camera
Black Awning
17” Wood stock alloys
80 Litre Fuel Tank
Electric Folding Mirrors
Heated Windscreen
Programmable Parking Heater
Removable 5th Seat (we have grandkids so need this)
Alloy Spare Wheel (this has been added to make sure we use up the £1000 factory options discount.)

Thanks and great to meet you all.

Stuart (Warrington)
I would definitely add hd anti roll bars ... they make huge difference to the ride and cornering.

I would definitely add hd anti roll bars ... they make huge difference to the ride and cornering.
Am I right in thinking these are only available aftermarket? VW won’t fit them?

Only regret not getting the chrome pack for the side and tailgate streamers and the spare keys.

Am I right in thinking these are only available aftermarket? VW won’t fit them?
I think the 6.1 has larger as standard, however you can still go bigger aftermarket.

Do you have a link to the bespoke bin please?

Swap the engine for the 204. Then
Get ready for all the 150 engine is adequate comments.
Ditch heated screen. The air heater will do that for you unless your in a massive rush.
Think folding mirrors are standard.
Then some bling. Side bars. Chrome pack.
Enjoy
Thanks, are there many occasions when the 150 would have struggled? We live on a bit of a hill and have struggled in the snow in rear wheel drive Audi etc.

I would skip the alloy spare wheel, it’s going to be filthy anyway being under slung so stick with steel. Add the shower option very handy for cleaning mucky kids and animals.
Thanks for your advice much appreciated

Your spec is very close to my own. Here are my notes having been through a very similar exercise...

Woodstock alloys: there was some discussion of corrosion problems on all these diamond cut alloys. I eventually, for various reasons, went for Devonports.

Heated windscreen: Expensive to replace if stone chipped. Some people find the embedded wires affect their vision. Your standard parking heater has remote control according to the configurator.

Alloy spare wheel: as you are just spending the free options and you will seldom see this wheel you could look at some other stuff. 235 (wider) tyres either the free ones or the all seasons*. Rear shower* for cleaning stuff. Safe box for lock up storage. Extra two keys*. Extra storage drawer and net*. Direct tyre pressure monitoring*. Traffic sign recognition.

Stuff I wound up with indicated. I may regret the safe.

I hope this helps.
Thanks, spare keys and ‘lose the spare alloy wheel’ seem to be recurring advice so I will take these on board. Much appreciated.

Similar spec here ordered in Feb although I went with steel 17” wheels. No tank upgrade available in Spain and the LED headlights are standard.
All I’d add to that is ACC (horses for courses but I personally wouldn’t get a vehicle without it) and the shower head (or artichoke as they call it here lol) for rinsing boots and bikes. I went for the light wood interior to contrast the dark blue paint, not that I know much about that kind of thing.

Did VW Liverpool give you an idea of timescale? I was advised not to expect much before Oct…
They said September Bob but it sounds unlikely given the current demand. I’m in no rush though. Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts.

Tow bar for tow bar mounted bike rack. A revelation!
thanks

I love my heated windscreen. During the latest cold spells it took 30 seconds to clear the windscreen.

Also if the windscreen starts to go abit misty whilst driving I pop it on rather than the blowers.

Alloy spare not needed. Just a normal spare.

The rest is personal choice. Go with what you want.
It will be a daily driver so I may stick with the windscreen. Thanks

Steel will rust.

Alloy is lighter so will increase your payload slightly + can avoid driving round with unmatched wheels until you find time to get the tyre fixed.
Thanks dodge, great advice

Hello,

Configuration of a California is a lot on personal choice, wishes and needs.

For example the heated windscreen. If I would in a position to get a new California I would certainly add this to it (especially it is not that expensive). Yes, the parking heater can clear the screen, but it will take a while. My camper is my daily drive and there were situations that I desperately would have needed the heated windscreen.

About the additional seat. We got one with the California too. Yes, the seat is removable, but it is so heavy that it is very difficult to get it in and out easily. Our seat was put in the camper at the dealer when we collected the van, than I took it out and now it is in the garage (for almost 4 years now).

Trailer hitch is handy. I would never go with the original bicycle holder again. It looks good, but it is not practical. I certainly would prefer to get a bicycle holder sitting on a trailer hitch. It is so much easier. If you plan to carry bicycles maybe you want to consider it.

I don't know if the digital cockpit is part of the Ocean in UK or not (many of your items on the list are standard in the Ocean here in Ireland). I certainly would go for the digital cockpit. It is not necessary, but it looks brilliant. And like the heated windscreen it is not that much more. Also I believe it will add value to the van if you ever plan to sell it.

You might want to consider to change the tyres. I good rid of the original Goodyear tyres. I thought they were terrible. Very often I had the spinning front wheels. I changed after 17k km to Michelin CrossClimate and it improved a lot.

Exiting times. I can imagine that while you are waiting for the new camper you will start to look for accessories. They are endless for the California. Enjoy the research and the new camper.

Happy California,
Eberhard
Thanks for your great advice Eberhard Especially about the tyres. Much appreciated.

All sounds pretty good but wouldn’t bother with the Alloy Spare. If you’re looking for options on spending the £1k consider a dash cam , we put that on our £1k spend.
Dashcam sounds like good advice. Have you had any issues when leaving your Cali from a security perspective?

Sounds great as it is.:thumb
Thanks mate

Comfort mattress, extended storage and safe and good value options, we've also gone for pro media, wood effect floor and electric side door, they are certainly personal preference and in no way essential!
Thankyou

Good afternoon,

I would wait a wee bit with the comfort mattress. We got one with our van and it is killing my back. I simply can't sleep on it anymore.

As soon as the lockdown is over I will contact 2x companies who offer foam for mattress and see if they will work with me to replace the foam inside the comfort (which is for me certainly not comfortable) mattress.

Looking back I would prefer to check it out more before I buy the mattress.

Happy soft sleeping California,
Eberhard
You’d expect a comfy mattress on a £60+k camper. Thanks for your advice, I’ll do some research

If I was ordering a new one:
  • All season tyres
  • Extra keys
  • Shower
  • Extra bench drawer
  • Chrome pack
  • Tow bar (prep as minimum)
  • Mudguards
  • Possibly the Driver’s Assistance Pack.

I’m presuming this is just from the options list and not VW/Brandrup accessories that can be ordered from the dealer.
Spare keys and shower seem to be important to a lot of CALI Owners. I’ll take This on board. Thank you so much

Thanks, are there many occasions when the 150 would have struggled? We live on a bit of a hill and have struggled in the snow in rear wheel drive Audi etc.
I’m used to 90 ish bhp (1.9tdi albeit in a lighter van) so the 150 will fly. Couldn’t test drive as I was between licenses, had to chop in my uk one for Spanish, but literally anything will be an improvement. Couldn’t see the need for more power anyway, other than for rearranging the cutlery drawer off the lights!

exactly

Spare keys and shower seem to be important to a lot of CALI Owners. I’ll take This on board. Thank you so much
I don’t have the spare keys and really wish I did as they are ridiculously expensive to order later on.

We use the shower all the time but I suppose it depends on your lifestyle. We use it to wash down feet and gear at the beach and also muddy wellies after walking.

Most important tip of all. Buy the VW extended warranty, it’s something like £329 for an extra 2 years.

It HAS to be taken out in the first 3 months after registration.

Considering it covers all the mechanical, bodywork and the camping equipment it’s an absolute bargain.

Rear wheel drive Audi?

Hi All,

We've just ordered an Ocean from VW in Liverpool and need to confirm the
final options imminently. I wondered if anyone would add anything to the options below
in their experience of using as camper van and daily driver - thanks

Current spec of options is:-

Volkswagen California Ocean 150BHP 7 Speed DSG
Ascot Grey Solid Paint
LED Lights
Front and Rear Sensors with Rear View Camera
Black Awning
17” Wood stock alloys
80 Litre Fuel Tank
Electric Folding Mirrors
Heated Windscreen
Programmable Parking Heater
Removable 5th Seat (we have grandkids so need this)
Alloy Spare Wheel (this has been added to make sure we use up the £1000 factory options discount.)

Thanks and great to meet you all.

Stuart (Warrington)

Most of these are standard as others have said.

Personally:

Remove

Heated Windscreen

Add

Direct Tyre Pressure management
Comfort mattress
Mud guards (the ones they fit afterwards are awful as they have to rivet though the bumper)

Do not bother upgrading the Radio as using Apple CarPlay / Android Auto is free and in my opinion 1000% better and more future proof than anything VW offer.

Most of these are standard as others have said.

Personally:

Remove

Heated Windscreen

Add

Direct Tyre Pressure management
Comfort mattress
Mud guards (the ones they fit afterwards are awful as they have to rivet though the bumper)

Do not bother upgrading the Radio as using Apple CarPlay / Android Auto is free and in my opinion 1000% better and more future proof than anything VW offer.
Good advice. I left the standard radio, I use CarPlay with Waze/Spotify. Ok a bigger screen would be nice, and am I right in thinking you can only connect wirelessly with the upgraded radio plus charging holder?
I just figured it’d be fine as is, but if I need a better one down the line, a Pioneer or Sony etc is usually a better proposition than OEM units.

Also specced the welly washer as I use a pump up plant sprayer to rinse off my muddy running shoes and lower legs - it takes up loads of room and I can’t wait to be shot of it!

I got the extra seat, just because the cali is technically a fourseater without it. I have taken it out, it is heavy, however, i can forsee times (very occasional) where the extra seat will present its own joys!

it also has its own isofix system.

CC9DB1B8-CA14-41A0-8308-2F587F26B2B7.jpeg

D1713F3C-68E6-4A05-8481-9CE63AB3CC66.jpeg

Crome pack and tow bar. Tilting bike rack - there a number of options. Added Heavy Duty Anti Roll bars after purchase to help when carrying bikes. Then pack light and add as little as possible. We use 2 Dovalay’s up top easy to roll up and pack and less scrapping for the duvet at night. ISO Top brillant. - enjoy your Cali best ever purchase we’ve made.

@66tim99 here it is from the official price list. I got the name wrong.

View attachment 76272
Thanks - I’ve ordered the Sports Pack too. I love Springfield wheels (might have preferred silver).
@pjduffill are you happy with it?
Do you have a heated rear window?
Can you see the black undertray, sides and front/back? Guess it’s not so pronounced against Indium grey...

Last edited:
It is the sports pack, also had it lowered by 30mm.

The black cladding ensures it nicely finished off around the sills. In the first instance in my naivety I did endevour to have VW issue side bars fitted at the dealership, however, the sports pack prevented the fix of such.

I don't think the Ocean has a heated rear window or wash (has wipe) as standard. I don't think its an option either? However given that the wardrobe, overhead cupboard and rear head restraints all clutter the rear view to the size of peering through a glove box it was not an option i explored.

VW must have a reason for dropping the standard issue of HRW and WW as these are standard on the coast and beach?

Back