Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Just ordered Cali Ocean - Any advice on essential options please?

VW must have a reason for dropping the standard issue of HRW and WW as these are standard on the coast and beach
Ocean has insulated ie. double glazed rear window as standard so no heating. There used to be a no cost option to delete the dble glazing and add the heating elements but looks like that’s been dropped, doubt it would have been popular tbh. Not sure about the wash part of the wipe; still has it as standard according to the brochure. “Rear window with insulating glass, not heated with wiper
and washer system”.

It is the sports pack, also had it lowered by 30mm.

The black cladding ensures it nicely finished off around the sills. In the first instance in my naivety I did endevour to have VW issue side bars fitted at the dealership, however, the sports pack prevented the fix of such.

I don't think the Ocean has a heated rear window or wash (has wipe) as standard. I don't think its an option either? However given that the wardrobe, overhead cupboard and rear head restraints all clutter the rear view to the size of peering through a glove box it was not an option i explored.

VW must have a reason for dropping the standard issue of HRW and WW as these are standard on the coast and beach?
Still has wash/wipe but heated rear screen not needed as it is double glazed.

It is the sports pack, also had it lowered by 30mm.

The black cladding ensures it nicely finished off around the sills. In the first instance in my naivety I did endevour to have VW issue side bars fitted at the dealership, however, the sports pack prevented the fix of such.

I don't think the Ocean has a heated rear window or wash (has wipe) as standard. I don't think its an option either? However given that the wardrobe, overhead cupboard and rear head restraints all clutter the rear view to the size of peering through a glove box it was not an option i explored.

VW must have a reason for dropping the standard issue of HRW and WW as these are standard on the coast and beach?
Yes the Ocean has an upgrade to double glazing in the rear. The sports pack though includes the 'Z2C' option which includes upgraded laminated cab windows and darker tint in the rear. All good stuff but...
The configurator shows Z2C includes 'Rear Window' and I noticed California Chris (from 4 mins) says it replaces the double glazed rear window with a heated window...I hadn't realised that, and wouldn't want to lose the double glazing ideally. Good to hear then that the Sports Pack doesn't include a heated window instead of double glazing...so confusing!

They are a charge option. If I remember about 300 Euro
They're not on the UK configurator as an option. Which makes me wonder if thay are standard here...?

They're not on the UK configurator as an option. Which makes me wonder if thay are standard here...?
I think its been discussed before and the conclusion is the UK vans get the standard ARB's as standard.

pics extrapolated from current brochure. Had a look at my Cali today, rear window is double glazed with a was wipe (no hrw) i did not spot this until it cropped up in the forum.

E8B4A5EB-348B-46F5-B240-E033B00FE12E.jpeg

EB898CE7-CD79-433D-80A0-EF23A44C7EE6.jpeg

Do you think you’ve got laminated glass in the cab windows? Should be thicker in the side, might be trickier to know in the windscreen?

I meant that option is the darker than normal privacy glass. Not just the fairly light ordinary tint that Oceans get , or the no tint at all that a Coast gets as standard.

Is anyone actually ordering this package? Seemed very overpriced to me
I ordered it, and justified it with twisted logic instead of 2-tone paint (now that is expensive!).
The brochure doesn’t fully explain it. It includes 18” Springfield wheels (£1200 upgrade?) and the Z2C pack (£760) including laminated acoustic cab, and darker tint living area glass (or at least partial Z2C pack - not the heated rear window according to @pjduffill, as it keeps the double glazing thankfully). It also has darkened rear light cluster, black wing mirrors, b-pillars, and undertray - another few hundred quid?
I like the look of it, think it'll suit an Ascot Grey van.

Last edited:
I ordered it, and justified it with twisted logic instead of 2-tone paint (now that is expensive!).
The brochure doesn’t fully explain it. It includes 18” Springfield wheels (£1200 upgrade?) and the Z2C pack (£760) including laminated acoustic cab, and darker tint living area glass (or at least partial Z2C pack - not the heated rear window according to @pjduffill, as it keeps the double glazing thankfully). It also has black wing mirrors, b-pillars and undertray - another few hundred quid?
I like the look of it, think it'll suit an Ascot Grey van.

Certainly looks great with Ascot Grey!

ED2B75F8-268B-4BFA-BEF5-ED40CEFBD2E3.png

apologies, the privacy glass is part of sports package

View attachment 76332
Yes, realised that when I spec'd it, and I presume that is the privacy glass in the rear of the 'Z2C' pack that appeared on my order unexpectedly when I added the Sports Pack. I didn't realise the Sports Pack came bundled with the Z2C glass pack.
California Chris explains in a recent video that he can no longer spec Z2C alone, and wouldn't anyway as he thinks the double glazed rear window is better than the heated rear window that comes with Z2C. Clearly yours didn't come with a heated rear window, good news, so clearly the Sports Pack doesn't FULLY add Z2C . Who knows what is actually added with the Sports Pack - what is the 'acoustics package extra'? Possibly the most confusing item on the confuserator.
1617787048603.png

Certainly looks great with Ascot Grey!

View attachment 76336
Nice! First time I've seen an Ascot Grey with Sports Pack. Where was that one? Are there any other photos? I'm looking to understand the black 'underguard' - think you can just see it front and side on your photo. I wonder if it is designed to protect, or just look good - or like side bars, a bit of both? Does it cover much of the underside of the van, removing the need for Dinitrol, or is it just visible bits?
I've asked Cali Chris to do a Sports Pack review (and a DCC one) and he's said he will next time he has one in...

Last edited:
Nice! First time I've seen an Ascot Grey with Sports Pack. Where was that one? Are there any other photos? I'm looking to understand the black 'underguard' - think you can just see it front and side on your photo. I wonder if it is designed to protect, or just look good - or like side bars, a bit of both? Does it cover much of the underside of the van, removing the need for Dinitrol, or is it just visible bits?
I've asked Cali Chris to do a Sports Pack review (and a DCC one) and he's said he will next time he has one in...

I'll PM you a video link

I could put it on here, but it was a personal video sent to me from a dealer so not sure if appropriate, but probably worrying too much

Last edited:
The brochure doesn’t fully explain it. It also has.....black wing mirrors
Wasn't that far back that VW were charging extra for you to have body coloured mirrors rather than the standard black.

Wasn't that far back that VW were charging extra for you to have body coloured mirrors rather than the standard black.
Yeah, and now its seen as a sporty upgrade. They are painted gloss black though, rather than naked plastic

Having watched the video on the Ascot Grey thread, unless you got run over by the van I don't think you would ever see the under guard bits of the style pack - thought the other pack looked better value & with the stainless Steel bits on the Under guard bits you would actually be able to see them.

Last edited:
Having watched the video on the Ascot Grey thread, unless you got run over by the van I don't think you would ever see the under guard bits of the style pack - thought the style pack looked better value & with the stainless Steel bits on the Under guard bits you would actually be able to see them.

My feeling on that style pack is that it looks good, but think it's (will be) achievable aftermarket without too much hassle / cost.

Having watched the video on the Ascot Grey thread, unless you got run over by the van I don't think you would ever see the under guard bits of the style pack - thought the other pack looked better value & with the stainless Steel bits on the Under guard bits you would actually be able to see them.
:thumb Yes, as my old grandad used to say - a blind man would be pleased to see it.
I'd like to know what their purpose is. I think it is a nice touch at the back and sides - a bit like a sidebar, protecting the bodywork a bit - and you can see it against a pale colour, at the back and sides anyway, presumably more from further away. At the front you can see it running round to the wheel arch, but it appears as just another bit of black plastic to the front bumper. I'll reserve judgement until I see it for real.
I think the Sport and Style Pack underbody cladding are the same just different colour/material, as described in the brochure. Clever black paint on the Style pack though, to contrast with the stainless steel. The black under guard is less of a visual feature on a dark van, close to invisible.

Last edited:
Back