Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice please Headdlight deflectors for driving in Europe?

PAPPA J

PAPPA J

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
I’m going to Austria for two weeks and was going to fit light deflectors to my t5 2015 California se,
I contacted vw and they have stated none are req??
Would you fit or not?4F264F6C-929F-4E36-976F-8CDEB018D4C8.png

Which headlights do you have?

I knew that on the newer models with upgraded lights that they don't always need reflectors apparently, e.g. the new LED lights are agnostic to the driving side (they point straight ahead?). The more basic headlights tend to have a side orientation, and will need something fitting.

I guess the easy way to be sure is if you turn your lights on and they shine into the nearside kerb/verge then they will need adjusting as when on the opposite side they will point directly at oncoming vehicles.

Last edited:
i thought the new LED lights could be changed with the onboard system, not that they look straight ahead. In any case to get to Austria, you may have to drive through countries that require them. Just go to halfords and buy the little stickers, or cut out duct tape.

The LED lights are changed from the steering position. otherwise buy the VW deflector's leave on all the time protects the lenses. the kit comes with the stickers which are reusable. there's marks on the Perspex which show where the black stickers needs to be applied.

On a T5 they won't be LED unless retro fitted, Xenons won't need covers but ordinary bulbs will do.

We once fitted them but didn't drive in the dark so it was a waste of time. We carry them but have only actually used them once!

We once fitted them but didn't drive in the dark so it was a waste of time. We carry them but have only actually used them once!
Come to Norway you use them constantly in the tunnels, especially outside the major towns/cities as some are not well lit.

Come to Norway you use them constantly in the tunnels, especially outside the major towns/cities as some are not well lit.
Oh, I would love to come to Norway but full time work means there's not enough time to get there! I have to console myself by reading all the posts on here!
I thought that I had found a ferry from Holland but unfortunately not.

I’m going to Austria for two weeks and was going to fit light deflectors to my t5 2015 California se,
Would you fit or not?View attachment 45493
Gas discharge bulbs, more commonly called xenon, are set flat and straight, they are not biased to the left like normal H7/H4 bulbs in the UK. How you get on with the requirement to carry a spare bulb set in a lot of countries I don't know, personally I don't bother.

Gas discharge bulbs, more commonly called xenon, are set flat and straight, they are not biased to the left like normal H7/H4 bulbs in the UK. How you get on with the requirement to carry a spare bulb set in a lot of countries I don't know, personally I don't bother.
We have LED headlights and just carry a cheap standard set of light bulbs, should satisfy most police people.

We have a 2013 SE and I’m assuming they are xenons, as we’ve spent the last six years driving all over Europe without need of covers. Have driven hundreds of kms through tunnels in countries such as Croatia, Austria, Slovenia, Switzerland, etc, where dipped headlights are obligatory and never been flashed once. I did buy self adhesive deflectors for our first trip before realising I didn’t need them. The lights just dip down. Still carry a set of bulbs that VW had sold me when I bought the van. So check type of lights, hopefully you don’t require anything.

Oh, I would love to come to Norway but full time work means there's not enough time to get there! I have to console myself by reading all the posts on here!
I thought that I had found a ferry from Holland but unfortunately not.

We're going to Norway on June 6th D Day and returning July 4th, Independence Day.

I’ve attached a photo of my head lights for anyone to compare,tested in the dark and they do point straight and down so it looks like my dealer was correct in saying no deflectors required,I take some in case I get pulled but looks good,
Thx for all the replies I know this subject always causes confusion,
Maybe those who know exactly how to fit deflectors could post a picture when your on your travels?
There are only a few variations and we could solve this once and for all.

C673BEB1-98DB-45C1-AB09-93FBFA288183.jpeg

8DC8C534-2B9A-4313-A9F6-9A159179FE4F.jpeg

We're going to Norway on June 6th D Day and returning July 4th, Independence Day.

There is a ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland. There used to be one from Harwich direct to Sweden and Norway, but long gone now. There is a lot of interest in Norway these days, I bet it would be a well used service.

We have LED headlights and just carry a cheap standard set of light bulbs, should satisfy most police people.

I also carry a plain set. The law in France is being ignored by the police because some of the new headlights require a dealer to fit them and they can cost up to £1000 or so I have been told.

Would you fit or not?View attachment 45493
Make sure you don't have a dashcam, they are illegal in Austria. According to Daily Express:
Austria: While it is not illegal to own a dash cam it is completely illegal to use and drivers could face fines of up to around £9,000 and up to £22,000 for repeat offenders.

Here are some headlight protectors fitted to my 2015 SE.

When i travelled to Spain last year i got flashed so decided to fit for this trip. Could have put the tape on better i know.20190530_072634.jpg20190530_072630.jpg20190530_072622.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve attached a photo of my head lights for anyone to compare,tested in the dark and they do point straight and down so it looks like my dealer was correct in saying no deflectors required,I take some in case I get pulled but looks good,
Maybe those who know exactly how to fit deflectors could post a picture when your on your travels?

View attachment 45745

View attachment 45746

View attachment 45745

View attachment 45746
You have standard Halogen headlights and your dealer is wrong. These lights do kick up on the left to illuminate the left side of the road. So you will get flashed as you drive through tunnels and at night abroad.

I have found the stickers difficult to position on lights with plain lenses (the beam shaping is done at the back by the reflectors) but did find the headlight protectors sold by VW dealers very good. They have marking on the plastic where you can place pre cut black patches, which are supplied. You are then confident that your headlights do not dazzle, and can use the protectors year after year. They are more expensive that a pack of stickers though.

Alan

I can’t imagine anyone flashing standard California lights. More likely wondering if there are two fast moving people holding candles coming towards them. When I say candles I mean the little ones you put on a birthday cake. Saying that I do put the stickers on in France as it’s not worth having the argument even if VW say you don’t need them.

I can’t imagine anyone flashing standard California lights. More likely wondering if there are two fast moving people holding candles coming towards them. When I say candles I mean the little ones you put on a birthday cake. Saying that I do put the stickers on in France as it’s not worth having the argument even if VW say you don’t need them.

I agree with your last sentence. No point in drawing attention to yourself. And the French don't like us at the moment.