Advice re damaged new BMW

treecity

treecity

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

Would love any opinions or experience if possible

My parents, 82 & 79, went to collect a new BMW 2 series today. Noticed damaged paint on driver’s door. Salesman sent new car away to have door sprayed and gave them loan car.

Paid in full by BACS!!

They don’t want to cause any stress but are clearly very distressed by this. My father is terminally ill as well, this would be his last car so it’s tough to see them so upset.

Is it realistic to expect an invisible repair? It’s white, non metallic

Can they reject the car? Should they?!

What are there options?

Huge thanks

I had a panel replaced on a white bmw. Could never tell it got damaged. Also had some superficial damage caused by bmw and fixed by them, I could never see that either. I gather damage during delivery does occur so touch ups probably occur without us knowing normally. I’d just check they’ve done a good job.

Hi all,

Would love any opinions or experience if possible

My parents, 82 & 79, went to collect a new BMW 2 series today. Noticed damaged paint on driver’s door. Salesman sent new car away to have door sprayed and gave them loan car.

Paid in full by BACS!!

They don’t want to cause any stress but are clearly very distressed by this. My father is terminally ill as well, this would be his last car so it’s tough to see them so upset.

Is it realistic to expect an invisible repair? It’s white, non metallic

Can they reject the car? Should they?!

What are there options?

Huge thanks

Tough one and very poor of the sales person to let it go like that.
Can you have a word with him/her and express your concern and show that your parents have some back-up? Hopefully the repair will be as new, no reason for it not to be with solid white and the sales person should throw in some extras for the upset. The last thing your father probably needs is stress and upset so I think it is a balancing act between making sure they are not taken advantage of but at the same time get their new car in the condition it should be.
That is certainly what I would do. Maybe even go to the dealer principle and ask them to treat it confidentially....

Many thanks. I emailed the Dealer Principal last night at 22.45 and he replied within 10 minutes (and he's on holiday), so that was promising.

I think we'll just hope for a great paint job. Would be nice if they throw in a little good will gesture too.

Many thanks. I emailed the Dealer Principal last night at 22.45 and he replied within 10 minutes (and he's on holiday), so that was promising.

I think we'll just hope for a great paint job. Would be nice if they throw in a little good will gesture too.

That is promising. I’m sure that it will be resolved well and your parents will have big smiles when they get their car.

Sorry to hear about this. Non metallic white is an easy colour match so I don't think you will be able to tell. As the paint is new, it wont have faded so won't need blending into the panels either side. I'm sure it will be done to a high standard as BMW will still have to warranty the work as well. I would keep a record though that BMW painted it just in case anything goes wrong in a few years time to avoid arguments over liability.

I would of thought that you could reject it if you wanted too. Maybe worth phoning BMW customer services and ask them.

I'm sure that most used cars can be rejected within 1 month or 1000miles, but not sure if that applies to new cars.

If it was my dad and possibly buying his last new car, I would've handed back the keys. I lose a bit of interest in my cars when they've ever needed bodywork repaired!

I would of thought that you could reject it if you wanted too. Maybe worth phoning BMW customer services and ask them.

I'm sure that most used cars can be rejected within 1 month or 1000miles, but not sure if that applies to new cars.

If it was my dad and possibly buying his last new car, I would've handed back the keys. I lose a bit of interest in my cars when they've ever needed bodywork repaired!

I think you’d be surprised by the amount of damage which occurs between the production line and the customer taking delivery of a new car. Of course, it’s never pointed out, just repaired without the customer ever knowing...

I think you’d be surprised by the amount of damage which occurs between the production line and the customer taking delivery of a new car. Of course, it’s never pointed out, just repaired without the customer ever knowing...

I really wouldn't be surprised at all but what you don't know, don't hurt!

Whilst the situation is not what your parents were hoping for. I agree with some earlier posts that it should be invisible. The know how is there to make it so. I would get in writing that this has been done and retains the full paint warranty (which may seem overkill but only until god forbid something starts to show and there is no record).
Top this off with the dealer showing some good will on something else like accessories or servicing and perhaps it will recalibrate the feeling they wanted and should have had buying a new vehicle.
So @treecity I'd be on their case (dealer principal) working out what would sweeten the experience for your parents if I was you.
I wish you good luck.

I had a few dents pulled out of my T6 by my local paintless repair guy, and he said he does loads of work for BMW dealers in the southwest sorting out damage on new cars before they're collected by customers.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Update... my parents collected car today, said all looked fine and there was a nice bunch of flowers.

They probably deserved a bit more than a bunch of flowers but they didn't want me to push for anything, even behind the scenes.

So, thanks for all of your input, hopefully they will be happy with their new car!

Update... my parents collected car today, said all looked fine and there was a nice bunch of flowers.

They probably deserved a bit more than a bunch of flowers but they didn't want me to push for anything, even behind the scenes.

So, thanks for all of your input, hopefully they will be happy with their new car!

At least the repair was done quickly and hopefully they will be out and about enjoying their new car.

Back