Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two tone re-spray on brand new Cali?

Thank you. Did cross my mind but not really feasible. Besides I feel black (and the grey) contrasts nicely against the particular shade of yellow. The reason why we chose it.

Having both a lower half two tone wrap then later in the same van had a lower half two tone re-spray i feel I'm well placed to answer your questions. View attachment 115858

It is easier to wrap or paint the lower half.

Wrapping does provide some protection to the paint underneath but it is not in the same league as paint protection film.

Some insurers will not cover wraps but some do. Be sure to tell them its wrapped.

No need to inform the DVLA regarding wraps as it is not considered a permanent colour change.

A lower half wrap costs around £3k and will last 5 to 7 max years before you will need to have it removed and re-wrapped.

A lower half re-spray will cost around £4k from an approved VW bodyshop and should last the life of the van.

Don't worry about re-spray affecting the robustness of the paint finish. Since the original factory paint is not removed. They simply key the surface and apply base coat and clear on top. This paint after a few months will be as hard as the factory paint underneath.

My thoughts / advice is

If you want to stealth wild camp then choose a subtle factory colour all over.

If you really keen on a two tone colour combo then paint instead of wrapping as it cheaper in the long run and ages better.

If you like the idea of changing van colour combo after 5 years of ownership then wrapping is the way to go.

If you want to go the extra yard then apply PPF to the lower half of your van to protect the paint against hedgerow scuffs. Cost is about £2k

When choosing a colour I would advise on thinking about how it will complement the Van's interior colour. I have seen some nice coloured Van's but when they open the doors the outside inside colour combination is hideous.
This is exactly what I wanted to know, thank you. May I ask which insurer you found that did not object, please? Your van is lovely.

Isn't a wrap one big decal?!
No. If the Decal is on the damaged panel and cannot be replaced after repair you could live without it. If a wrapped body panel is damaged then the body panel has to be repaired , painted with original colour and then wrapped and that's where the problem lies. Can the original wrap be matched? If not, colour discontinued or ageing of original wrap, then the remaining wrap may have to be removed and replaced adding considerably to the cost overall.

This is exactly what I wanted to know, thank you. May I ask which insurer you found that did not object, please? Your van is lovely.
Not sure if you are referring to it being wrapped or non factory lower half respray.

No worries as the answer is the same.

If have always insured using CMC insurers (AXA). They where the best value and were always easy to deal with (had three no fault claims with them). This year switched to Safegaurd as they were lower in cost for the same or slightly better cover. Not had to make a claim with Safegaurd (yet) but their reviews are positive.

No. If the Decal is on the damaged panel and cannot be replaced after repair you could live without it. If a wrapped body panel is damaged then the body panel has to be repaired , painted with original colour and then wrapped and that's where the problem lies. Can the original wrap be matched? If not, colour discontinued or ageing of original wrap, then the remaining wrap may have to be removed and replaced adding considerably to the cost overall.
Sorry, was meant as a bad joke.

Happened to me. No fault claim after car reversed into NS. Small dent and damaged wrap. Wrap colour discontinued so third party insurance agreed to cost to repair and repaint damaged panel and then re-wrap the whole lower van two tone wrap in an alternative colour that was still available. The cost to do this was almost the same to repair and repaint the whole lower van a two tone colour. So I settled and had the van lower half re-spray by VW approved bodyshop instead of a complete lower half re-wrap. Every no fault bump has a silver lining!

My Candy White 21reg Ocean had 3000 miles on the clock when I bought it my car being white I saw the VW Viper Green colour swatch in the showroom and took the plunge with no regrets.
Was given advice in Scotland on our first week away to avoid parking near certain football stadiums (getting keyed) we all in the club share one thing in common whatever we coat them in we love our Cali’s….

IMG_3042.jpeg

My Candy White 21reg Ocean had 3000 miles on the clock when I bought it my car being white I saw the VW Viper Green colour swatch in the showroom and took the plunge with no regrets.
Was given advice in Scotland on our first week away to avoid parking near certain football stadiums (getting keyed) we all in the club share one thing in common whatever we coat them in we love our Cali’s….

View attachment 115882
Looks stunning. What wheels do you have on your Cali?

I thought I had the name somewhere of the alloys but can't find it...I think they are 17" Davenports Michelin Agilis 3 fitted

I thought I had the name somewhere of the alloys but can't find it...I think they are 17" Davenports Michelin Agilis 3 fitted
The alloys are called ‘Devonport’ but are often referred to as Davenports. Regardless of the name they are really easy to clean and plentiful on the second hand market so inexpensive to replace :thumb . I picked up a brand new set with 235 tyres for £500.

Back