Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two tone re-spray on brand new Cali?

JollyGoodShow

JollyGoodShow

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
We're thinking of buying a new California Ocean, and have rented one from Breeze, Poole, next week to see. As you can imagine (there are enough posts in this forum like this one already) we're debating colours and options.

We really love the red/white two tone look, but VW aren't offering that any more. So we're choosing between ordering a metallic red van, or maybe... a white van, which we might then have the lower half re-sprayed red. Or a red van and have the upper half re-sprayed white.

I've read lots of threads in the forum about re-spraying and wrapping, and the potential issues with insurance and the possible need to re-register with the DVLA, so that is all noted.

My questions for the wisdom of the forum are:
  1. If we are going to re-spray either the top half or the bottom half, which is easier? I suppose that's really a question for a paint shop, but I'd value any expertise here. My instinct is it's easier to respray the bottom half. In which case we would buy a white van.
  2. Aside from matters of personal taste, the cost, and the insurance/DVLA issues, are there any other bear traps? For example, is there reason to believe that having it re-sprayed would adversely affect its residual value?
I think we will probably get the metallic red, because it is a lot of extra money and we could re-spray the top half later?

What would you do, if you really liked the two-tone look but were nervous about messing about with a brand new vehicle? All thoughts welcome.

Funnily enough I had this conversation with the insurer for my new Cali (Comfort Insurance) and they told me that if my Cali was wrapped or sprayed aftermarket they wouldn't insure it. They said decals were okay strangely.....

Funnily enough I had this conversation with the insurer for my new Cali (Comfort Insurance) and they told me that if my Cali was wrapped or sprayed aftermarket they wouldn't insure it. They said decals were okay strangely.....
Yes, I am very worried about that.

Funny thing is, when I wrote my post, I think it clarified my thinking. It really is a lot of expense and trouble to go to. I expect we'll enjoy the Cal just as much with it being in one colour. I would like two tone but maybe that's for "next time".

Thanks.

I also figured that if without 2 tone my van would be more inconspicuous should I wildcamp anywhere.

I also figured that if without 2 tone my van would be more inconspicuous should I wildcamp anywhere.
Yes. It also occurred to me that if we had a two tone van, people might think I was some form of party animal. Or remotely friendly. I suppose I could get two tone and then have decals on the sides and the bonnet saying "B*gger off, I'm antisocial", but maybe that's not the spirit of the thing.

Perhaps a more low-key paint job is more sensible.

Our last VW Camper was green and white two tone, whilst our Cali is silver. Two tone has its pros and cons. You get a lot more waves on the road and people always came to chat at any campsite. The cons were that everyone you knew locally spotted you out and about and told you about it and complained when we didn't wave back when they drove a black Ford Fiesta.

Our last VW Camper was green and white two tone, whilst our Cali is silver. Two tone has its pros and cons. You get a lot more waves on the road and people always came to chat at any campsite. The cons were that everyone you knew locally spotted you out and about and told you about it and complained when we didn't wave back when they drove a black Ford Fiesta.
I can see the cons; I'm not clear which are the pros! These are very good points: I don't want to be that easily recognisable. I'm rapidly going off the idea of having two-tone... (I knew asking the Forum was a good idea.)

I can see the cons; I'm not clear which are the pros! These are very good points: I don't want to be that easily recognisable. I'm rapidly going off the idea of having two-tone... (I knew asking the Forum was a good idea.)
I think it depends on the colour. Ours was a bright green.
20230823_132435.jpg
If I was going two tone again I would be slightly more subtle. Maybe a dark metallic blue with the silver. Like this
v8e5o3xowy09m0lkpnnz.jpg

I think it depends on the colour. Ours was a bright green.
View attachment 115753
If I was going two tone again I would be slightly more subtle. Maybe a dark metallic blue with the silver. Like this
View attachment 115754
I can see why the green one attracted attention. It looks amazing. But as I reflect on it, I don’t think I want that attention. A brand new Cali is flash enough…

I can picture it now. We rock up at some campsite in our brand new vehicle, and proceed to incompetently flap around unsuccessfully operating it, while Mrs GoodShow and I swear at one another. That will be bad enough.

We're thinking of buying a new California Ocean, and have rented one from Breeze, Poole, next week to see. As you can imagine (there are enough posts in this forum like this one already) we're debating colours and options.

We really love the red/white two tone look, but VW aren't offering that any more. So we're choosing between ordering a metallic red van, or maybe... a white van, which we might then have the lower half re-sprayed red. Or a red van and have the upper half re-sprayed white.

I've read lots of threads in the forum about re-spraying and wrapping, and the potential issues with insurance and the possible need to re-register with the DVLA, so that is all noted.

My questions for the wisdom of the forum are:
  1. If we are going to re-spray either the top half or the bottom half, which is easier? I suppose that's really a question for a paint shop, but I'd value any expertise here. My instinct is it's easier to respray the bottom half. In which case we would buy a white van.
  2. Aside from matters of personal taste, the cost, and the insurance/DVLA issues, are there any other bear traps? For example, is there reason to believe that having it re-sprayed would adversely affect its residual value?
I think we will probably get the metallic red, because it is a lot of extra money and we could re-spray the top half later?

What would you do, if you really liked the two-tone look but were nervous about messing about with a brand new vehicle? All thoughts welcome.

I would (and did) wrap (the lower half) - it’s totally reversible at near-zero cost, and meantime it protects the lower part of the car which is most prone to stone chips etc..

OK, my hand was (self-)forced by the availability of a plain grey cancelled order, which I thought looked like a dreary carpenter’s van, and I really wanted a TT scheme - smarter-looking and more cheerful, so I took the opportunity to be creative whilst making a virtue out of necessity.

Go on, dare to live a bit!

77A613C5-7786-4FFA-9E28-7768239452E1.jpeg

In our opinion they all look braw, but I can think of a few ‘too many’ cities in the UK where colour combo’s could attract the wrong kind of attention from so called football fans !

I would (and did) wrap (the lower half) - it’s totally reversible at near-zero cost, and meantime it protects the lower part of the car which is most prone to stone chips etc..

OK, my hand was (self-)forced by the availability of a plain grey cancelled order, which I thought looked like a dreary carpenter’s van, and I really wanted a TT scheme - smarter-looking and more cheerful, so I took the opportunity to be creative whilst making a virtue out of necessity.

Go on, dare to live a bit!

View attachment 115756
That van does look amazing! It really does stand out, though. As I've reflected on it, I'm not sure I want to stand out that much. Sooooo conflicted.

PS I couldn't bear the idea of putting more paint on a brand new car. A wrap though is pretty benign.
Also, I'd sooner argue a body warranty issue having used, in effect, just a protection film, rather than having painted permanently over the factory finish.
You could still hedge your bets, buy whatever single colour you like enough in its own right, but which later allows you to have your favoured TT choice by wrapping half ;-).

PPS I certainly didn't want 'loud' - our blue and grey has never attracted anything more than cheery smiles and compliments - on a dreary day it gently glows, on a sunny day, especially on the coast, it just blends in.

Yes, I think we can hedge our bets with a Fortana red van. We can wrap the top half if we want to (in white, probably) at a later date. The better option, if we were committed to two-tone, would be to have a Candy white van and wrap the lower half, as that would I think be easier (no decals, for example) and provide stone-chip protection, but I don't think we would be keen on having a Candy white van what wasn't wrapped, and given the worries about insurance etc., I think the better option is to go Fortana red, and then wait and see.

It's been very helpful to think this through - thanks for the comments.

Yes, I think we can hedge our bets with a Fortana red van. We can wrap the top half if we want to (in white, probably) at a later date. The better option, if we were committed to two-tone, would be to have a Candy white van and wrap the lower half, as that would I think be easier (no decals, for example) and provide stone-chip protection, but I don't think we would be keen on having a Candy white van what wasn't wrapped, and given the worries about insurance etc., I think the better option is to go Fortana red, and then wait and see.

It's been very helpful to think this through - thanks for the comments.
Screenshot_20231024_120238_Chrome~2.jpg

Is it likely that 60% of red cars are involved in a crash? As I understand it, the average life of a car in the UK is about 14 years, and the average interval between crashes (insurance claims) is about 18 years (see below). So the average car will be involved in a crash at some point in its life about 80% of the time. On average, however, a car is half-way through its lifetime, so the risk of a car having been in a crash in the past is perhaps 40%. For 60% of red cars to have been involved in crashes would make them roughly 50% riskier than cars on average, which seems a lot, but isn't totally implausible.

The fact is that most cars will be in a crash at some point in their lives.

Back