Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Two tone re-spray on brand new Cali?

Is it likely that 60% of red cars are involved in a crash? As I understand it, the average life of a car in the UK is about 14 years, and the average interval between crashes (insurance claims) is about 18 years (see below). So the average car will be involved in a crash at some point in its life about 80% of the time. On average, however, a car is half-way through its lifetime, so the risk of a car having been in a crash in the past is perhaps 40%. For 60% of red cars to have been involved in crashes would make them roughly 50% riskier than cars on average, which seems a lot, but isn't totally implausible.

The fact is that most cars will be in a crash at some point in their lives.

Classic case of putting links into an article and then making a statement that purports to come from the links.

None of the links give any facts that "most cars will crash in their lifetime". One of them just has that title and immediately says "we will never know how many times a car will crash in its lifetime". They actually seem to say driving lifetime, which is very different.

The rest, to my eye, looks like cod statistics.

Last edited:
Classic case of putting links into an article and then making a statement that purports to come from the links.

None of the links give any facts that "most cars will crash in their lifetime". One of them just has that title and immediately says "we will never know how many times a car will crash in its lifetime".

The rest, to my eye, looks like cod statistics.
The first link says the average life of a car is 14 years; after that they're scrapped. I do think that statistic is valid, albeit now a few years out of date. The second link says that the average interval between insurance claims is 18 years; I have less confidence in that statistic.

The rest is I think reasonable logic. If cars live for 14 years and the average interval between claims is 18 years, then on average each car will have 14/18 crashes in its lifetime. Obviously some cars will have more than one crash and many will have none.

But you're right, it's just a bit of fun. I was just assessing whether it was plausible that 60% of red cars had been crashed, and from the (probably dodgy) statistics I wasn't able to refute that proposition, but it sounds pretty unlikely to me.

The first link says the average life of a car is 14 years; after that they're scrapped. I do think that statistic is valid, albeit now a few years out of date. The second link says that the average interval between insurance claims is 18 years; I have less confidence in that statistic.

The rest is I think reasonable logic. If cars live for 14 years and the average interval between claims is 18 years, then on average each car will have 14/18 crashes in its lifetime. Obviously some cars will have more than one crash and many will have none.

But you're right, it's just a bit of fun. I was just assessing whether it was plausible that 60% of red cars had been crashed, and from the (probably dodgy) statistics I wasn't able to refute that proposition, but it sounds pretty unlikely to me.
Way off topic from your OP, of course, but key for me was the point "driving lifetime" - so lifetime of a driver, not a vehicle. In my lifetime I've had likely a dozen cars since passing my test back in 88, and crashes needing insurance, 3, maybe 4. So on a sample size of 1, thats one crash every 3 or 4 cars. Or, 75% of my cars were never crashed in my driving lifetime. My cod stats for everyones perusal.

I could be wrong and my ex wife would definitley say im wrong but i think i read on this forum that you can still get two tone vehicles its not avaliable on the vw configurator but it is on the dealers configurator.

If you were happy to go second hand, there's a red/white two tone on auto trader:

Its red and reflex silver. I wouldn't wrap or paint a new van.

If you were happy to go second hand, there's a red/white two tone on auto trader:

Thank you. I have concluded that although the two tone vans look amazing, they attract a lot of attention and I'd prefer a slightly lower profile. I'm really quite anti-social.

The pricing of that van is interesting. Clearly it would be negotiated but the price I'm quoted for a brand new 204PS Ocean is less. The two tone paint was an expensive option, of course, and we don't know what bargain would be struck buying this one, but it still indicates real confidence about the second hand values. I wonder whether scarcity of "factory" two-tone Californias will mean their value holds up particularly well?

Thank you. I have concluded that although the two tone vans look amazing, they attract a lot of attention and I'd prefer a slightly lower profile. I'm really quite anti-social.

The pricing of that van is interesting. Clearly it would be negotiated but the price I'm quoted for a brand new 204PS Ocean is less. The two tone paint was an expensive option, of course, and we don't know what bargain would be struck buying this one, but it still indicates real confidence about the second hand values. I wonder whether scarcity of "factory" two-tone Californias will mean their value holds up particularly well?
There'll be some of course who will only want a second-hand two tone California, but I suspect there'll be plenty more who would rather save £2800.
I don't think you can expect to see your full investment returned on anything on the Ocean options list, tbh.

Take it from me a two tone van doesnt get any more attention than any other nice looking van.

We're thinking of buying a new California Ocean, and have rented one from Breeze, Poole, next week to see. As you can imagine (there are enough posts in this forum like this one already) we're debating colours and options.

We really love the red/white two tone look, but VW aren't offering that any more. So we're choosing between ordering a metallic red van, or maybe... a white van, which we might then have the lower half re-sprayed red. Or a red van and have the upper half re-sprayed white.

I've read lots of threads in the forum about re-spraying and wrapping, and the potential issues with insurance and the possible need to re-register with the DVLA, so that is all noted.

My questions for the wisdom of the forum are:
  1. If we are going to re-spray either the top half or the bottom half, which is easier? I suppose that's really a question for a paint shop, but I'd value any expertise here. My instinct is it's easier to respray the bottom half. In which case we would buy a white van.
  2. Aside from matters of personal taste, the cost, and the insurance/DVLA issues, are there any other bear traps? For example, is there reason to believe that having it re-sprayed would adversely affect its residual value?
I think we will probably get the metallic red, because it is a lot of extra money and we could re-spray the top half later?

What would you do, if you really liked the two-tone look but were nervous about messing about with a brand new vehicle? All thoughts welcome.
It really depends on the overall look you want - outside and inside. For example, our van is a 2 tone green/ white, from the factory. It was clearly a bay leaf green van which was over-sprayed white on the top. The inside edges of the doors, pillars etc are all green. We have seen a couple of similar vans from the factory (green/white) where tge base van was white. With doors closed you wouldn’t notice any difference. Overall we like the colour in the door openings rather than white - looks more utilitarian.

For me, the two tone styling creates a different type of look, a more retro/dated vibe , a bit flowery whereas the single colour scheme compliments the chunky minimalist look. Matched with grey/black 18’s, a single colour looks super modern and tough.

Obvs it’s all down to the individual so arguing one colour gets more attention than another is utter bollox, in my op obvs.

I think it depends on the colour. Ours was a bright green.
View attachment 115753
If I was going two tone again I would be slightly more subtle. Maybe a dark metallic blue with the silver. Like this
View attachment 115754
That green is awesome!!!!! My previous camper (a Trafic) was bright green, I loved it. But yes, it was always the first thing people commented on! If I had a penny for everytime I heard, you'll always see that coming.... but it was true, you would never lose it in a car park!

Now having a 2 tone red and white California it feels a bit more subtle. I'm not a fan of the current trend for grey/beige/insert any other dull colour, but can see why people want a van that blends in, be it security (I'm lucky enough to keep mine in a garage) or just not to attract attention.

As usual here the final thing is go with what you want as it's a lot of money and you don't want to regret it, it's you who has to own/drive/look at it

My new van met my old van:

With Renault.jpg

We've got two tone Candy White/Copper Bronze. I don't believe it attracts any additional attention, we have had a couple of comments in 2 years but that's all. We have also wild camped for 30+ nights with no issues, indeed one of the compliments was from a local while wild camping. So I don't think any worries on that score.
As for cost an additional £1400 at the time as anything other than a couple of standard colours cost around £800 anyway. The dealer met 50% as compensation for the 6 month delay.
In summary it's individual choice, and which ever way you go the colour really doesn't alter the experiences you will have.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Wrap every time. Remember what you like isn’t always what others like. Defo not red top due to UV degradation but also dark over white doesn’t work visually.

Speaking of dodgy cities. Anyone see the first episode of Wheeler Dealers Series 20. Mike and Elvis rebuilt a Mk1 Ford Fiesta and some scrots stole it out of the covered trailer at the hotel the production team were staying at. They were on their way to its grand reveal.

I would (and did) wrap (the lower half) - it’s totally reversible at near-zero cost, and meantime it protects the lower part of the car which is most prone to stone chips etc..

OK, my hand was (self-)forced by the availability of a plain grey cancelled order, which I thought looked like a dreary carpenter’s van, and I really wanted a TT scheme - smarter-looking and more cheerful, so I took the opportunity to be creative whilst making a virtue out of necessity.

Go on, dare to live a bit!

View attachment 115756
Here's mine, brand new wrapped !
I would (and did) wrap (the lower half) - it’s totally reversible at near-zero cost, and meantime it protects the lower part of the car which is most prone to stone chips etc..

OK, my hand was (self-)forced by the availability of a plain grey cancelled order, which I thought looked like a dreary carpenter’s van, and I really wanted a TT scheme - smarter-looking and more cheerful, so I took the opportunity to be creative whilst making a virtue out of necessity.

Go on, dare to live a bit!

View attachment 115756
Here's mine, wrapped when I bought it new; the dealer brought it to the wrapping shop before I took delivery.

View attachment 1698425228275.jpg

Funnily enough I had this conversation with the insurer for my new Cali (Comfort Insurance) and they told me that if my Cali was wrapped or sprayed aftermarket they wouldn't insure it. They said decals were okay strangely.....
Indeed we literally renewed our insurance with Comfort today and asked the same thing !!
So if they don’t which insurers do ?

We're thinking of buying a new California Ocean, and have rented one from Breeze, Poole, next week to see. As you can imagine (there are enough posts in this forum like this one already) we're debating colours and options.

We really love the red/white two tone look, but VW aren't offering that any more. So we're choosing between ordering a metallic red van, or maybe... a white van, which we might then have the lower half re-sprayed red. Or a red van and have the upper half re-sprayed white.

I've read lots of threads in the forum about re-spraying and wrapping, and the potential issues with insurance and the possible need to re-register with the DVLA, so that is all noted.

My questions for the wisdom of the forum are:
  1. If we are going to re-spray either the top half or the bottom half, which is easier? I suppose that's really a question for a paint shop, but I'd value any expertise here. My instinct is it's easier to respray the bottom half. In which case we would buy a white van.
  2. Aside from matters of personal taste, the cost, and the insurance/DVLA issues, are there any other bear traps? For example, is there reason to believe that having it re-sprayed would adversely affect its residual value?
I think we will probably get the metallic red, because it is a lot of extra money and we could re-spray the top half later?

What would you do, if you really liked the two-tone look but were nervous about messing about with a brand new vehicle? All thoughts welcome.

Having both a lower half two tone wrap then later in the same van had a lower half two tone re-spray i feel I'm well placed to answer your questions. image1.jpeg

It is easier to wrap or paint the lower half.

Wrapping does provide some protection to the paint underneath but it is not in the same league as paint protection film.

Some insurers will not cover wraps but some do. Be sure to tell them its wrapped.

No need to inform the DVLA regarding wraps as it is not considered a permanent colour change.

A lower half wrap costs around £3k and will last 5 to 7 max years before you will need to have it removed and re-wrapped.

A lower half re-spray will cost around £4k from an approved VW bodyshop and should last the life of the van.

Don't worry about re-spray affecting the robustness of the paint finish. Since the original factory paint is not removed. They simply key the surface and apply base coat and clear on top. This paint after a few months will be as hard as the factory paint underneath.

My thoughts / advice is

If you want to stealth wild camp then choose a subtle factory colour all over.

If you really keen on a two tone colour combo then paint instead of wrapping as it cheaper in the long run and ages better.

If you like the idea of changing van colour combo after 5 years of ownership then wrapping is the way to go.

If you want to go the extra yard then apply PPF to the lower half of your van to protect the paint against hedgerow scuffs. Cost is about £2k

When choosing a colour I would advise on thinking about how it will complement the Van's interior colour. I have seen some nice coloured Van's but when they open the doors the outside inside colour combination is hideous.

Having both a lower half two tone wrap then later in the same van had a lower half two tone re-spray i feel I'm well placed to answer your questions. View attachment 115858

It is easier to wrap or paint the lower half.

Wrapping does provide some protection to the paint underneath but it is not in the same league as paint protection film.

Some insurers will not cover wraps but some do. Be sure to tell them its wrapped.

No need to inform the DVLA regarding wraps as it is not considered a permanent colour change.

A lower half wrap costs around £3k and will last 5 to 7 max years before you will need to have it removed and re-wrapped.

A lower half re-spray will cost around £4k from an approved VW bodyshop and should last the life of the van.

Don't worry about re-spray affecting the robustness of the paint finish. Since the original factory paint is not removed. They simply key the surface and apply base coat and clear on top. This paint after a few months will be as hard as the factory paint underneath.

My thoughts / advice is

If you want to stealth wild camp then choose a subtle factory colour all over.

If you really keen on a two tone colour combo then paint instead of wrapping as it cheaper in the long run and ages better.

If you like the idea of changing van colour combo after 5 years of ownership then wrapping is the way to go.

If you want to go the extra yard then apply PPF to the lower half of your van to protect the paint against hedgerow scuffs. Cost is about £2k

When choosing a colour I would advise on thinking about how it will complement the Van's interior colour. I have seen some nice coloured Van's but when they open the doors the outside inside colour combination is hideous.
That looks lovely. Could you not get the EHU/water filler sprayed to match?

Back