Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AirLift helpers

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Our 4 Motion was getting low in the back end and wallowing in bends when fully loaded so I decided to try a helpers kit from Julian at Air Lift.

The kit contains everything needed to install the lifters apart from a mounting plate for the valve which needs to be sited easily accessible but out of the way.
It took around a couple of hours to fit, the main time taken up in deciding the best route for the piping.
The units are a doddle to fit, get the van up on axle stands so the the suspension is fully extended, take the black valve caps off the units, squash them flat and replace the cap.
Push the units through the coils and make sure that the valves are pointing out sideways
P1160835small_zpsc814f2e4.jpg

Push the pipe onto the valves and secure with the spring clamps.
I clipped the pipe to the brake hoses which ensures it is out of the way.
P1160844small_zps4b617575.jpg

I decided to fix the pipes to the roll bar making sure it was on the rear side to keep it (hopefully) from getting caught or hit by stones etc. The two pipes meet at the tee which then comes off to the rear of the van.
P1160847small_zps227e4023.jpg

Clipped to the wiring loom and under the plastic undertray.
P1160851small_zps24f0d376.jpg

I made up a mounting bracket for the valve from a towbar socket plate and fitted it to the back of the socket. All quite neat and easy to get at to adjust the pressure in the units.

P1160860small_zpsa10b5bf1.jpg

Last job is to fit the heat shields. These are made from bendy metal and just clamp to the exhaust with the supplied hose clips. Easiest way is to clamp the plates on and then bend them round the pipe.
P1160855small_zpsf47adcf4.jpg

With the van unloaded I am running with a pressure of around 15psi, loaded 25psi.
Quite a noticeable difference. The van doesn't roll as much in corners and generally feels more solid on the road.
Hope this helps if anyone is thinking of fitting them.

Very helpful thank you for posting :thumb

Back