Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alarm settings for the night Calif Ocean 6.1 (2022)

MCEv

MCEv

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all , we took our Cal , named Moxie, out for the first time . All went well till we went to bed.

Car locked itself and soon the alarm would go off . After several attempts and pressing of buttons we seem to have tackled the problem , but can not recall what we did to achieve it.

i have 3 actions i can take, not sure in what order .

1) Locking button on key fob ( press twice i believe )
2) children’s lick button on driver side (not sure whether relevant or not)
3) central control panel , camping , activate camping mode

can someone confirm that i should be doing the following?

first press twice locking button in key fob and then secondly on center control , Activate camping mode.

if not correct , what are the steps to be taken?

thanks

When camping, don’t lock using the key fob as this activates the motion sensor alarm and will sound the alarm when you move. It also deadlocks the car IIRC so you won’t be able to exit using the door handles. You’re locked in.

Lock using the lock button on the driver’s side door next to the side mirror knob.

After a restless night for all of our neighbours on our first night away, I figured out this routine to stop the alarm going off in the night, either due to movement inside the van, or opening the side door to get out when the alarm had been set using the fob.

Ours is a Cali, so not sure if the same approach works on a 2022 model.

1. Activate camping mode on the central panel.
  2. Disarm the internal monitoring motion sensor in the vehicle settings on the infotainment system.
  3. Always lock the doors at night using the lock button on the driver's door. Don't use the fob.
No idea if all the above steps are overkill, but we've not had a false alarm yet and have been able to leave the Cali with the roof raised whilst away from campsites all day without any internal movement sensors causing the alarm to trigger. We lock the Cali using the fob when leaving it on site.

According to the manual, the camping mode will remain set until deactivated on the control panel, but will switch off when the engine is started and when the vehicle is moving.

Also according to the manual, the internal sensor remains deactivated unless you either activate it manually in the infotainment system or drive the vehicle over 9mph.

You can disable the interior alarm with Carista, takes no time at all. Also comes in handy for ferry crossings.

Do you guys not have a button on the pillar next to the drivers seatbelt that turns off the motion sensors for when you leave pets in the car or stop on a ferry?

Do you guys not have a button on the pillar next to the drivers seatbelt that turns off the motion sensors for when you leave pets in the car or stop on a ferry?
Not on the T6.1, no. Pain in the arse I have to say as reaching out to the driver side locking button when the driver seat hasn’t been turned around and is packed full with all the stuff can get tricky.

Not on the T6.1, no. Pain in the arse I have to say as reaching out to the driver side locking button when the driver seat hasn’t been turned around and is packed full with all the stuff can get tricky.
I know...big white mobile home cures all ills!
No alarm sleeping problems, no leaky bellows, two size burners, room, 3 way fridge, no reorganization every night/morning or mealtime, I do miss my california but the more I read all your problems I am reminded how much crap it caused!

I know...big white mobile home cures all ills!
No alarm sleeping problems, no leaky bellows, two size burners, room, 3 way fridge, no reorganization every night/morning or mealtime, I do miss my california but the more I read all your problems I am reminded how much crap it caused!
Yeah, Caravan with an engine.

When camping, don’t lock using the key fob as this activates the motion sensor alarm and will sound the alarm when you move. It also deadlocks the car IIRC so you won’t be able to exit using the door handles. You’re locked in.

Lock using the lock button on the driver’s side door next to the side mirror knob.
pressing the lock twice on fob seems to do the trick.

what about pressing fob twice , seems to work
That's what I did on Saturday night, after doing some research on the forum. Then I wanted to leave campsite quietly at 1.00am. Put the key in to start the car and alarm came on. Turning the key quickly, to switch on ignition, disabled it, but I managed to wake up some people.

So from now on, I will just use lock button on the door.

We had our first night away last weekend but didn't actually lock van at night as a small gated CL site. Must admit on previous van conversion we had for 9 years we'd never ever locked it at night.

My understanding is if you press central locking button on drivers door is disables the alarm but if, like me you sometimes have to nip to the loo you could be locked out as side door will lock once shut but not arm or am I wrong. Sure I've seen it somewhere................

That's what I did on Saturday night, after doing some research on the forum. Then I wanted to leave campsite quietly at 1.00am. Put the key in to start the car and alarm came on. Turning the key quickly, to switch on ignition, disabled it, but I managed to wake up some people.

So from now on, I will just use lock button on the door.
Did you not have it in camping mode and unlock using fob?? Alarm shouldn't have gone off unless not switched off

I think, I clicked on the fob to unlock, but maybe it wasn't precise enough and it didn't unlock. I tried it later in the car park and alarm didn't come on.

Regarding locking yourself out, I always take key with me everywhere or leave it hidden outside of car/van. Travelling alone with one set of keys means I take extra precautions.

I wouldn't put much credence in DVLAs ability to describe a vehicle as a full on conversion can be described as a " Van with windows".
Actually you are entirely incorrect, in order to satisfy DVLA that a commercial vehicle has been converted into a camper there is a multitude of requirements that must be met, including but not limited to a fixed table to eat at, windows behind the A pillar, an external view that is substantially different from that of the van, somewhere to cook, a fixed bed and somewhere to sit when not driving. You may only apply once and their subjective decision is final.

Actually you are entirely incorrect, in order to satisfy DVLA that a commercial vehicle has been converted into a camper there is a multitude of requirements that must be met, including but not limited to a fixed table to eat at, windows behind the A pillar, an external view that is substantially different from that of the van, somewhere to cook, a fixed bed and somewhere to sit when not driving. You may only apply once and their subjective decision is final.
Sorry to ruin your day.
These T6 Forum members would disagree. I suggest you take it up with them.

This is not the T6 Forum, why is this relevant here?
And...if you read it, it agrees with what I said.