Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All geared up: my all-seasons all-purpose T6 Ocean interior & organisation :

Auberg-ine

How did you do the DIY Lounge bench

Auberg-ine

How did you do the DIY Lounge bench

I just fixed double-sided velcro's at the end of 2 wooden sticks. Here in a very early stage of my 'gearing' :embarrased:
IMG_E0523.jpg

just wondering : what's the weight all geared up ? ( as 3080 kg - all included- is the max allowed )

just wondering : what's the weight all geared up ? ( as 3080 kg - all included- is the max allowed )
Depends, pre-party or after-party. ;)
You've seen the content. I could do with plastic beakers and plates instead of glass and China. I could throw out the RidgeMonkey, books, ... keep the very basics. No need for a costume or pastels or petanque to survive, indeed. Or I could organize my things in different 'scenario' boxes and put them always in and out from garage to van, plan everything upfront.
In fact, been there, done that. I traveled quite some times with a basic backpack between my twenties and thirties. But always with the idea that when getting grey I would go more 'glamping', treat myself with one of these super trooper pick-nick baskets, living the spur-of-the-moment.
And then I found one that I can even drive! :embarrased
Who's counting kilo's when you're having fun hé?
To answer your question about the 'WeightWatch', I just went to the Technical Control, with no remarks, except for some envy ones.

@Auberg-ine , they only mesure the weight the first time you go .....making up the techinical fiche .
You need to put it on a weight platform somwhere lokal yourself when fully loaded before heading on a trip , you need everything in : filled fridge , drinks , watertank full , clothing ,....
I did :came pretty close to the max .

@Auberg-ine , they only mesure the weight the first time you go .....making up the techinical fiche .
You need to put it on a weight platform somwhere lokal yourself when fully loaded before heading on a trip , you need everything in : filled fridge , drinks , watertank full , clothing ,....
Well, since the car got introduced as a 5-seater, and I imagine my extra stuff not heavier than that bloody heavy 5th seat I never use, I guess I am still quite ok. But I'll look once for a weighing bridge, just to surprise you all how lightfooted I travel ! ;)

The five seater does not have more max weight as others ....
It has LESS loading capacity then others!

'de keuring ' told me they will check the weight every yearly controll and i have to fill up the fuel and water tank ( clothes and other gear , that's my choice )
( yearly weight check as there might be additional things installed )

'de keuring ' told me they will check the weight every yearly controll and i have to fill up the fuel and water tank ( clothes and other gear , that's my choice )
( yearly weight check as there might be additional things installed )

Some weeks ago the highway police stopped me near Bruges (for texting while driving), they noticed I was too late for my TC, and forced me to go immediately. So I had to go to your Control Center in Oostende. No mentioning of extra weight though.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I made me a summary of all the extra tunings, DIY's, extra equipment,... that grew onto the Auberg-ine, after experiencing all kinds of settings (as mobile office, as camper,...) and weathers,... Might be useful for the so many new newbies around here, even if of course very personal and specific. What I still carry around now might be crazy for most people, but to me it's my favorite omni-toy. Fridge, water, gas, all permanently topped, ready to fly out at whatever spur of the moment!

(Edit: lists get updated after each new intervention along the thread)

View attachment 34189
Auberg-ine Front Part mods
  1. Jump leads + 20m Hook-up cable + air compressor + oil storage on top of main battery (post 89)
  2. DIY Ceiling storage made out of our famous safety net (for scarfs, hats, caps...)
  3. Storage of Reimo door top ventilation (double grille) in small net above roof shutter. Edit: + sunscreen organizers (CD's, cards, glasses,...); see post 170.
  4. Hooks to fix Kelty Bestie Blanket (hung at shutter) at B-pillars in case of stealth camping. Edit: DIY stealth mesh hung at Ikea Sunnersta side rails (see post 149).
  5. Mobile ventilator hung in front of towel (no vibrations)
  6. Ikea colander/ herbs garden (can also be hung at glass cover above the sink) (post 23).
  7. DIY slide-in phone dock in cubby hole (no more cable fuzz to connect with CarNet)(post 48)
  8. VW coat hanger/ drying rack (passes Brandrup pockets); DIY neck-rest/duvet bags see post 156
  9. Warning triangle strapped in front of driver chair. Edit: see post 172
  10. Fire extinguisher strapped in front of passenger chair; see post 172
  11. Brandrup pockets for small stuff needed while driving, or items reachable from upper bed
  12. DIY cup&can holder, incl. small mod. to also hang it at sliding door (post 69)
  13. Fishing gear; fishing net/fruit basket in pocket of driver seat, fitting in seat/lid of Luggable Loo (see post 139)
  14. VW Campershop Multi-box /dustbin
  15. DIY storage for magnetic blinds
  16. Umbrella storage
  17. Sunware multibox/paper towel dispenser/tray (when lid reversed)
  18. DIY library (Sunware); under seat: NOCO Genius GB40 Jump booster, window defrost spray, first-aid kit, fluo jackets, magnetic defrost/sun protecting window cover, and the VW Bible; edit: + pressure sprayer for shower (besides library), see post 113
  19. Brandrup mosquito screen
  20. Rotan container/Luggable-Loo. Serves as stool (I prefer not to rotate driver seat), footrest, container for roaming stuff (can be fixed at bench drawer, can also contain 2p sleeping bag), waste bin, ice bucket, fishing stool, loo. Bucket independently also for (dish-)washing, carrying water (see post 90)
View attachment 34190
Auberg-ine Middle Part mods
  1. Sliding Ikea stainless steel hooks (to hang wet coats off the bench/pockets) edit: now Ikea Sunnersta rail, (see post 138) edit: now also Reimo ventilation grid stored at ceiling (see post 100)
  2. DIY Ceiling storage made out of unused safety net (shirts&socks&slips pockets, …).
  3. 3 Plastic jars (medicine, cables, junk) fixed at ceiling. Ikea led light (post 64)
  4. DIY bronze color filter in front of existing white led lights (except for main central light); for lounging mode; edit: now Ikea Sunnersta rail with tablets, containers, hooks (see post 110)
  5. Sliding mosquito screen
  6. Wardrobe for costume, jogging outfit, raincoat, swimsuit, two stacked flat clothes bags, hammocks at the bottom.
  7. DIY vanity basket (made from Woolite box)
  8. DIY newspaper rack/ fly swatter/wine rack (see post 140)
  9. Exploration Pillar (magnifying glass, binoculars, harmonica)
  10. Brandrup mosquito screen
  11. DIY cow skin protection
  12. DIY table print (high definition European roadmap, for whiteboard markers; post 48)
  13. Coffee&tea, hot&cold drink glasses, compact cooking set, Ridge Monkey pans, (led-)candles, cookies& chocolates (permanently accessible, even when in bed position)
  14. Apero-snacks, cutlery,… , Ikea tray cutting board on top of cutlery drawer (permanently accessible)(post 48).
  15. Food&drinks provisions (not accessible when bed installed) Ikea Skubb zipper boxes
  16. Deep dishes (omni-functional), cans, pasta, … Ikea Kuggis boxes
  17. Maintenance&Hygiene, petanque sets, frisbees; Ikea Skubb
  18. Flexible ‘empty hole’; Outwell 20l double function container/collapsible bowl see post 207
  19. Elastic (bike) fastener, holding loose items or container (reversed rotan stool) while driving
  20. Dille&Kamille candle lampion for awning pegs/ slippers storage/permanently plugged i-phone/Ipad charger cables
View attachment 36744
Auberg-ine Rear Part mods
  1. Outwell Baffin stools/footrests/tables, installed in between the chairs, can together with the towel become Cali chair comfort headrests. (see post 48)
  2. DIY i-Pad holder against ceiling roof cabinet, to watch movie in bed. Cabinet=drawing/painting equipment (integrated DIY led reading light holder in grip. (See post 118)
  3. Foldable water container, funnel,… Ikea Skubb zipper box
  4. Board games box
  5. Reimo Airvent (sliding window) (edit: now hung on ceiling; see post 100)
  6. CO alarm
  7. Straps, velcro, rope, towing,… Ikea Skubb zipper box
  8. Collapsible shopping baskets, Ikea Skâdis magazines bag (can stay in place after turning bench to bed)
  9. Folding boxes (clothes, blankets…), fits kitchen counter when positioning bed
  10. Day-backpacks, flexible storage,...
  11. Cushions
  12. CareBags for Luggable-Loo, toolbox, camping accessories,...
  13. Awning floor/pick-nick mat,
  14. Outwell 2-persons sleeping bag/ blanket, accessible from inside. Rain coat&trousers
  15. Coconut-charcoal, large plastic foil
  16. Fiamma leveling ramps + tire grip mats.
  17. 10l spare diesel, BBQ, VW shower&toilet tailgate tent. Edit: post 97: sliding outdoors kitchen tablet under mattress.
  18. Large storage box with lid + inside second box with boots, jogging- and river shoes, mud scraper floormat…+ also for (dish-)washing, reversed serving as step. Large box serves also for indoors shower (see post 113). Outwell Baffin table tops / bbq ashtrays (reverse side covered with thick aluminum sheet)
  19. Brandrup pocket with shower hose
  20. 2 Outwell folding relax chairs
My over the window idea didn’t work so I thought of this (mostly Ikea stuff).
Link to my full post, with explanation https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/this-week-ive-bought-________-for-my-cali.17067/post-343942

F50BDF6F-96FC-4C3E-B884-2126B37C622F.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh, nice you're experimenting Elly! But do you dismount it all each time you drive?
How came my shelve solution was not working? Your 3D printed brackets seemed so neat?
Hi Aubie-wan (As in Star Wars Kenobi)

The plastic couldn’t really take the weight of the shelves very well and a few other design issues. Bigted is working towards some good solutions to have it working with the Sunnersta pots and hooks, not the shelves.

My pegboard solution can just be moved a little for driving and stay in the van permanently. All the bits pack away small (in the bin) for travelling and I only need to connect what we want for certain types of trips. It’s handy to have the rolls staying connected and our flasks held by the bungee. It’s really solid and takes only seconds to fit in place. Everything to go on it has a place in the van anyway but want it out for convenience.

265B480C-5A1F-4914-ACB2-BB31187F6A8C.jpeg

Hi Aubie-wan (As in Star Wars Kenobi)

The plastic couldn’t really take the weight of the shelves very well and a few other design issues. Bigted is working towards some good solutions to have it working with the Sunnersta pots and hooks, not the shelves.

My pegboard solution can just be moved a little for driving and stay in the van permanently. All the bits pack away small (in the bin) for travelling and I only need to connect what we want for certain types of trips. It’s handy to have the rolls staying connected and our flasks held by the bungee. It’s really solid and takes only seconds to fit in place. Everything to go on it has a place in the van anyway but want it out for convenience.
"Use the Force" Elly. IKEA! ;) With the Lillången hooks you can use the bin as bin, the paper in pots, and the seat inclined.
In fact, that other Force should make the sliding doors out of these pegboards. I once thought of fixing one of the small boards onto the left door. But then I had to drill some holes,... :Grin

No, just short self-tapping screws. Also, the bottom of the extinguisher is resting at the floor, so no extra vertical weight component.
For my bamboo lantern I just looped an elastic ribbon through the ventilation grille right behind.
Just a quick point: When your fire-extinguisher expires, you will need to purchase another and unless the replacement bracket is EXACTLY the same, you will need to drill even more holes!

Just a quick point: When your fire-extinguisher expires, you will need to purchase another and unless the replacement bracket is EXACTLY the same, you will need to drill even more holes!
Or modify the bracket by drilling the corresponding holes.
Use the old bracket as a template.

"Use the Force" Elly. IKEA! ;) With the Lillången hooks you can use the bin as bin, the paper in pots, and the seat inclined.
In fact, that other Force should make the sliding doors out of these pegboards. I once thought of fixing one of the small boards onto the left door. But then I had to drill some holes,... :Grin
Careful, your Cali will start to look like a tea bag!

... in the meantime, while cruising through sunny Spain, I often got disturbed by not being able to see the GPS info (glare, reflexion, finger traces). So I made me this sunscreen on the spot, made out of one of my plastic folders. Can be inclined as much as needed, while radio button still stays accessible.
View attachment 36104
Master stroke. Can I have some more information on how to make please?

Snap. I made this one some months ago from cardboard and sprayed it matt black.Img_1386.jpg

Master stroke. Can I have some more information on how to make please?
Sorry Pete, I was out of orbit for a while.
Just take one of these plastic A3 folders, cut one sleeve in half, and slide it in between the small gap. You can push it in, or incline it as you wish since that gap is quite deep. Done in 2 minutes. It's damp proof, and the borders can take some bumps.
pagna-folder-a3-with-elastic-fastener-pp-black.jpg

Amazing - how long has this taken you to complete?? Just to type it up must have taken long enough :thumb

btw - where did you get the map........
  1. DIY table print (high definition European roadmap, for whiteboard markers; post 48)

Amazing - how long has this taken you to complete?? Just to type it up must have taken long enough :thumb

btw - where did you get the map........
  1. DIY table print (high definition European roadmap, for whiteboard markers; post 48)
Hello
What post were you replying too? i would like to see this map.

Thank you

Hello
What post were you replying too? i would like to see this map.

Thank you
Post 48 as mentioned?

After checking it is Post 69.

Back