Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Season Tyre Suggestion - Michelin CrossClimate +

Mitchelin Technical Support said the SUV tyres are optimised for heavy cars that spend much of their time in muddy conditions where as the XL are optimised for heavy vehicles that spend much of their time on the road

An SUV spending much of its time on muddy terrain...
Isn’t that an Oxymoron...???

Thanks for that.

If I hadn’t been keeping my distance I would not have been able to react to a completely idiotic action.

The point was about having decent tyres as was the thread.

It seems it is almost impossible to post anything on here without some self righteous judgemental comment. One of the reasons I rarely bother now.

Mike
Have you got a dash cam Mike ?

Always keep the distance is a better moral here.
He obviously was, as he stopped in time BUT, the correct distance depends on the conditions AND the correct tyres and at this time of the year SUMMER tyres are not the correct tyres but unfortunately the general driving public rarely understand this simple fact and it is made worse by the fact that many new vehicles are on Contract Hire and the drivers rarely look after their vehicles to the same degree as an Owner Driver and would virtually never think of changing tyres for winter or using the more expensive All Season tyres thus the rash of 4x4 SUVs that fail to progress when we get a touch of snow/ice. They're still on the summer, low resistance tyres they came out of the factory with.

Mitchelin Technical Support said the SUV tyres are optimised for heavy cars that spend much of their time in muddy conditions where as the XL are optimised for heavy vehicles that spend much of their time on the road
Recall someone on this Forum getting the opposite advice from Michelin some time back.
Based on Cali's theoretically spending time in fields and unsurfaced tracks.
As many public roads now have a worse pothole density than most private roads/tracks I'd still favour an SUV version for durability.

Can someone point me to a page where this 'xl' model is actually available in Cali sizes? I think it may be a discontinued model, or simply pointing to a heavier load capability of the standard cross climate tyre which now seems to be labelled '+' (as in better rather than heavier load).

These work for me, Michelin Agilis Crossclimate van.

9DECE93F-3FF1-467D-BAE4-3B90802DEE61.jpeg

Just fitted last week, quiet and comfy if you have them at the right pressure as the weight rating is way higher than needed, at stated pressure on the tyre at rating is like having wooden wheels, having B6 shocks makes it harsher as well.

Had Fulda M&S previously hard as nails, OK on mud and snow would plow across wet grass but dangerous in the wet wheel spin in 3rd and giving the ABS a work out.

They did last though 2 ½ years and 36,000 km changed at 3mm as minimum in winter is 4mm several countries.

Would have tried BFG’s but not available in a sensible size without messing up the gearing which is already too high in 1st & especially reverse if you spend a lot of time in the mountains

Can someone point me to a page where this 'xl' model is actually available in Cali sizes? I think it may be a discontinued model, or simply pointing to a heavier load capability of the standard cross climate tyre which now seems to be labelled '+' (as in better rather than heavier load).
103 load rating is classed as XL (extra load)
Always go by the load rating figure XL isn't a specific load capability justmore than normal passenger car rating.

Here in Italy tyre shops will only fit tyres with at least the rating on the registration document, here the police never check unless there’s an accident due to a failed tyre.

In France & Germany if you get stopped for check you’l get fined and it’s impounded until you change the tyre’s.

What are the tyre ratings on an T5 or 6 Cali as there is 3 versions 28, 30 & 32 ie #,#00 kg.

My T4 Cali is max 2,800 with a min tyre of 195/70 97T which is to low for a fully loaded Cali or 205/65 100/102, I run 195/70R15 104/102 which are a bit harsh but better at pressure same as the 100/102.
If I’m running a bit heavy pump the tyre’s up to the full pressure, which is when the 2 big teens are in the back with all there crap they bring along they don’t need.

My interpretation - and I would perhaps like to be proven wrong - is that this data plate on my 2008 SE means that for my 16 inch 6.5J wheels the only tyres I can fit are R16C (where C means commercial, which means Agilis rather than XL / SUV Crossclimates).

Can anyone confirm that my understanding of the C in R16C is correct, and if so does the tyre sidewall on a Agilis actually say R16C and an SUV say just R16?

I appreciate the load ratings should be fine either way, but have heard many times that the first thing that an inspector does after an accident is check the wheels and tyres conform to manufactures spec and I'd rather not end up arguing the toss that the SUVs are fine if they don't exactly match the spec on the data plate..

IMG_20200127_171437003.jpg

My interpretation - and I would perhaps like to be proven wrong - is that this data plate on my 2008 SE means that for my 16 inch 6.5J wheels the only tyres I can fit are R16C (where C means commercial, which means Agilis rather than XL / SUV Crossclimates).

Can anyone confirm that my understanding of the C in R16C is correct, and if so does the tyre sidewall on a Agilis actually say R16C and an SUV say just R16?

I appreciate the load ratings should be fine either way, but have heard many times that the first thing that an inspector does after an accident is check the wheels and tyres conform to manufactures spec and I'd rather not end up arguing the toss that the SUVs are fine if they don't exactly match the spec on the data plate..

View attachment 55588
That's an interesting plate at the 16" end of the range. The two types available to you have quite different rolling circumferences (205x65 and 215x65, but have 10psi difference on inflation pressures. Does that equalise the circumferences? (the flat at the bottom bit?).

Can't help you with the 'c' meaning, but it's probably a good shout that it means commercial. My deliberations were between the 2 options at 17" where I went for the non 'c' and wider option.

That's an interesting plate at the 16" end of the range. The two types available to you have quite different rolling circumferences (205x65 and 215x65, but have 10psi difference on inflation pressures. Does that equalise the circumferences? (the flat at the bottom bit?).

Can't help you with the 'c' meaning, but it's probably a good shout that it means commercial. My deliberations were between the 2 options at 17" where I went for the non 'c' and wider option.
'C' is a Commercial tyre specification. All vans used to require this even 5cwt Morris Minor in Business (Commercial) use.
If Private use they didn't need commercial tyres, tyre spec never was simple in legal terms.
XL came about with the advent of low profile tyres. With such a small side area of sidewall to carry the load they needed reinforcing > XL.

View attachment 55588
Not on the plate but Michelin do an Agilis Crossclimate in 235/60/17C 117/115 load rating. Deep pockets needed to buy a set as set I found are £840+

C means it’s a 6-ply tyre rating with a max Pressure of 50psi or the bar equivalent, which means certain tyres are 6-ply some are not to make the load rating.

@TripleBee , i might do . The tyre guy had to balance them correct so the weight is needed . It don't bother me much doh ....lets see once fitted on the Cali .

I know they are needed. Mine are hidden by the wheel covers, but yours are open to see. And they don't match the glossy rims. I'd certainly paint them if I were you.

Just given the Cross Climates a good thrashing this morning. 2wd 204 Cali.
I can confirm, they are bloomin brilliant. They perform better in the snow than the mud. Zero slippage, stop & accelerate up a snowy hill. Gave me total confidence in these conditions today.
So funny seeing a 3series struggling up a hill and my van swinging past and off and up...
Great tyres :thumb

They are awful in the mud. Got stuck on a grassy field slope with 4wd and diff-lock. Like 0 traction.

So it’s not just me then...

Same for the BFG’s
Tested on compacted & flattened snow on a hill, I found from a standing start, it’s better to turn off traction control. The TCS just cuts power and you lose power, rather than feathering it by one’s self.
Obviously the gratis snow shot isn’t on the hill.
Just for fun....
FCCF79E8-F5A1-4723-AF63-793AC6EA9709.jpeg

They are awful in the mud. Got stuck on a grassy field slope with 4wd and diff-lock. Like 0 traction.
So what do you run for spring / summer for wet grass and mud ?
This is the great debate. Need a great spring / summer tyre cable for muddy wet fields !

So it’s not just me then...
Personally not had a problem in thick mud. 4Motion and DSG. Into 1st and foot off gas pedal. Wait until moving and then gentle on the gas.

Back