Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Season Tyre Suggestion - Michelin CrossClimate +

Just given the Cross Climates a good thrashing this morning. 2wd 204 Cali.
I can confirm, they are bloomin brilliant. They perform better in the snow than the mud. Zero slippage, stop & accelerate up a snowy hill. Gave me total confidence in these conditions today.
So funny seeing a 3series struggling up a hill and my van swinging past and off and up...
Great tyres :thumb
Just for clarity (as these threads push the standard cross climate, the SUV CC and the CC Agilis), which tyre does your positive feedback refer to?

Just for clarity (as these threads push the standard cross climate, the SUV CC and the CC Agilis), which tyre does your positive feedback refer to?

Had a quick look
Think they’re the CrossClimate+

Personally not had a problem in thick mud. 4Motion and DSG. Into 1st and foot off gas pedal. Wait until moving and then gentle on the gas.
second that.

I've seen many drivers who seem to think that loads of right foot and wheel spinning is how to get out of mud and snow merely dig themselves in.
They then blame the vehicle or the tyres for the failing. It can of course be the wrong tyre design for the conditions.
The saying 'There is no such thing as bad weather merely the wrong clothing' can be reworded to apply.

second that.

I've seen many drivers who seem to think that loads of right foot and wheel spinning is how to get out of mud and snow merely dig themselves in.
They then blame the vehicle or the tyres for the failing. It can of course be the wrong tyre design for the conditions.
The saying 'There is no such thing as bad weather merely the wrong clothing' can be reworded to apply.
Good advice. We have a new 4M with Goodyear 4 Seasons tyres fitted from factory. In recent snowy conditions the van has managed to tackle the snow admirably (even going uphill). We didn't spec diff lock se we cannot use that as a fall back. We anticipate (when we can) doing some off grid camping on muddy fields. From what you say, tyres are not the be all and end all, but out of interest, what is your preference for wet and muddy fields. Thanks.

Good advice. We have a new 4M with Goodyear 4 Seasons tyres fitted from factory. In recent snowy conditions the van has managed to tackle the snow admirably (even going uphill). We didn't spec diff lock se we cannot use that as a fall back. We anticipate (when we can) doing some off grid camping on muddy fields. From what you say, tyres are not the be all and end all, but out of interest, what is your preference for wet and muddy fields. Thanks.
As only a very small percentage of the time is spent in fields and the majority on tarmac the all season tyres are the best compromise.

Those that favour, what is termed the Swamper style seem to go for BFG KO2 or similar All Terrain tyres.

I've no experience of these other than on a Defender that I used to have. I don't consider these as suitable for my normal driving at the speed limit for a few hours duration with only a few minutes of need for a chunky tyre per years motoring.
Others will have different criteria for tyre selection.

We have found the Goodyear 4 Seasons to be very good in mud and wet grass on campsites and more recently in snow. I've had them from new on our Cali and I also have them on my T5 panel van.

I have these on my estate car and my California and think they are superb. I first bought a set after Honest John recommended them ...

Useful video of them in action here ...

Discussion about which all season tyres to choose ...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/7-of-the-best-all-season-tyres-for-2018.htm

View attachment 53590
I second that.
They are excellent on snow and ice and almost as good as the best Summer tyre in the wet.

As only a very small percentage of the time is spent in fields and the majority on tarmac the all season tyres are the best compromise.

Those that favour, what is termed the Swamper style seem to go for BFG KO2 or similar All Terrain tyres.

I've no experience of these other than on a Defender that I used to have. I don't consider these as suitable for my normal driving at the speed limit for a few hours duration with only a few minutes of need for a chunky tyre per years motoring.
Others will have different criteria for tyre selection.

I would love to try these back to back with the CrossClimates.
I’m sure the BFGs must be better in mud.

Yesterday I tested my Cali with the CC against my work Nissan E-van with Goodyear Efficiency Grip tyres.
Found a car park with hill, covered in virgin snow. The California stuck like poo poo to a shovel. No slipping, grip grip and more grip in the white stuff. Braked well, turned with no drama.
The Nissan was a complete nightmare. Wheels spinning crazily, struggling with traction. Almost never made the incline of the car park. Slid on braking and was almost stuck trying to reverse into a snow covered space.

The difference was night and day.
I know they’re different vehicles. But both 2wd van types.
The Cali was faultless with the Cross-Climates...

I would love to try these back to back with the CrossClimates.
I’m sure the BFGs must be better in mud.

Yesterday I tested my Cali with the CC against my work Nissan E-van with Goodyear Efficiency Grip tyres.
Found a car park with hill, covered in virgin snow. The California stuck like poo poo to a shovel. No slipping, grip grip and more grip in the white stuff. Braked well, turned with no drama.
The Nissan was a complete nightmare. Wheels spinning crazily, struggling with traction. Almost never made the incline of the car park. Slid on braking and was almost stuck trying to reverse into a snow covered space.

The difference was night and day.
I know they’re different vehicles. But both 2wd van types.
The Cali was faultless with the Cross-Climates...
Mud is like snow, lots of different versions from soft sloppy/slushy to only a soft top covering.
Tyres like the BFG's will be able to bite into the mud and clear their tread more efficiently than an all season design which in turn will be better than a summer tyre. Each one has a specific design to suit the application.

point being that it's difficult to be sure what degree of mud any reference to a particular tyre is made where it is reported as 'being useless'.
In some mud extremes even tracked vehicles get stuck.

I have recently fitted 235/55 Crossclimate SUVs to my Cali.
I have had Crossclimate plus on a Saab and a Focus and found them excellent and very quiet.
The CC SUV on the Cali are noticiably noisier than the Michelin Primacy that came off it, especially on damp roads where you can hear them drumming slightly particularly under light throttle. I was a bit surprised but hoping they quieten a bit once they are part worn. On the plus side when I drove into the snowy sloping work car park yesterday there were a couple of cars slithering around in front of me who gave up, while I just drove in, no drama.

I recently changed from Nokian Weatherproof all season tyres to Michelin Crossclimate SUV with a profile upgrade to 60 from 55.

Instantly noticed more road/tyre noise with the Michelins. Nokians were quiet up to about 50MPH when they would start to 'sing', a bit like a very faint Military Land Rover tyre.

Michelins are no noisier than the wide low profile Goodyear tyres on the car to put into perspective.

With hindsight I should have done a noise level test using the App on my phone before and after the tyre change.

Perhaps someone could do that who is about to change tyre type. Would give a figure in Db as apposed to an opinion only.

I reduced the Db level of my air compressor by over 2Db with that as a measurement device.

Asda tyres are as cheap as any for cross climates and they have £50 free Asda shopping vouchers atm if you buy 2. Do 2 orders in different names for £100

Am I missing something but can’t find crossclimates on their site in either 17” or18” do you have a link?

Am I missing something but can’t find crossclimates on their site in either 17” or18” do you have a link?
235 /55 R17
Search for tyre size.
£124 for SUV and £125 for +
what’s the difference between these two ?
BCAEC293-BB12-481D-A99C-A1D022348993.png

I saw the filter result showed 0 available so hadn’t scrolled down. Their website is poor!

Their website is poor!
So is their Montepulciano D'Abruzzo but I still got our xclimate from there: fitted at ATS. Was thinking of getting a set for the GLE but they’re £1000 for 4!

Im checking to see if the Asda staff discount can be applied - daughter works there in Uni holidays, a further 10% is better still.

235 /55 R17
Search for tyre size.
£124 for SUV and £125 for +
what’s the difference between these two ?
View attachment 72518
The SUV version will have stronger sidewalls and better tread clearance of mud and stones than the standard car version.

I've gone for SUV version as I find that the stronger sidewall is more suited to the weight of a Cali, less flexing giving a more positive feel to the steering.

Layman's interpretation is that it is in between a C, commercial, tyre and an ordinary XL tyre in terms of sidewall rigidity.

Michelin claim the SUV has a 10%/90% off/on road bias vs CC+ which may just be down to the stronger side walls? I have to say side by side with the CC+ on my other car the tread pattern and spacing between tread blocks seems otherwise identical. The slight increase in noise might be down to the side walls too.

hello, about the cross climate+ : we have them on our t4 westfalia, a little over a year now and did a few trips with it - black forest in D and Vosges/Alsace wine route in Fr and some normal rides - but I am very satisfied (handling normal road both dry and wet but also in mud and wet grass, noise, fuel consumption). We also had them put under my wife's car (crossland) and are now impressed by the road quality in snow and ice. Are they as good as a set of winter tires? I do not know but they are certainly good in winter conditions and behave like normal tires in other conditions. Previously we always had a set of summer and winter tires for each car and will not do this anymore. As soon as our coast is delivered, there are also cross climates being put under it.
Greetings

Last edited:
Michelin AT Lattitude Cross. Favourite so far but illegal in winter.
Handled snow fine though.
Today I was in contact with Michelin. They informed me that the Latitude Cross will disappear from their program.
Instead they now sell the Agilis Cross Climate, which is an all season tyre with M&S properties as well as the 3PMFS symbol, thus being a snow tyre.
This is what I will choose, I think. Not cheap though.

Snowy regards from Amsterdam (20 centimeters of snow today),

Marc.

Back