Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alloy wheel locking bolts

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Quick question are locking bolts/nut supplied with New Calis that have alloys fitted?? Also same question for the little caps on the nuts?

Yes, to the locking nuts.

No, to the protective caps
These can be acquired from your friendly dealer if he is in a mind to be generous. Otherwise around £40 for a set of 20, I think.

I have found that my 2017 Ocean does not have any locking bolts on its 18” Springfield wheels.
Has anyone else had this issue?

I had locking wheel nuts delivered on my new vehicle 2015 T5.1. They are a pain in the backside. As they get older their thread deteriorates and are very difficult to remove and the key will wobble off and scratch your alloys.
Also if you have a service or have your tyres replaced or repaired and the service centre puts them on tight you will struggle to get them off.
I am removing them entirely and just going with standard bolts.
Criminals can remove a locking wheel nut in seconds anyway.

I had locking wheel nuts delivered on my new vehicle 2015 T5.1. They are a pain in the backside. As they get older their thread deteriorates and are very difficult to remove and the key will wobble off and scratch your alloys.
Also if you have a service or have your tyres replaced or repaired and the service centre puts them on tight you will struggle to get them off.

A couple of threads on this issue and a number have made the same decision.

Mike

Yep complete PITA. One of mine has been rounded by over tightening. As soon as the dealership is open for regular business they will be removed and swopped for standard bolts.

Yep complete PITA. One of mine has been rounded by over tightening. As soon as the dealership is open for regular business they will be removed and swopped for standard bolts.
Exactly I am off to the nearest tyre place to get the last remaining security bolt removed I can't shift it with standard tools and forget using the lever in the VW toolkit.

Yes, to the locking nuts.

No, to the protective caps
These can be acquired from your friendly dealer if he is in a mind to be generous. Otherwise around £40 for a set of 20, I think.
See post #1713 on "What have you bought for your Cali today" thread. Sorry can't give link. Set via Ukjuzdeals on Amazon £5.95.

Exactly I am off to the nearest tyre place to get the last remaining security bolt removed I can't shift it with standard tools and forget using the lever in the VW toolkit.
Like you I find the supplied wheel bolt tool useless for lock nut removal due to the angle which tries to spin the lock nut tool out/off the lock nut head.
I use a short breaker bar and wheel nut sucket which gives a 90 degree angle and have no problem removing the lock nuts/bolts.

This type. Use the 17mm on the cars.

Like you I find the supplied wheel bolt tool useless for lock nut removal due to the angle which tries to spin the lock nut tool out/off the lock nut head.
I use a short breaker bar and wheel nut sucket which gives a 90 degree angle and have no problem removing the lock nuts/bolts.

This type. Use the 17mm on the cars.

We’ve all been there when we’ve trying to remove a stubborn screw or bolt.
However annoying it is to have to make another trip to get the right tool it is quicker in the long run.
Once the tool starts to slip it’s harder from that point.
For that reason the supplied tool has been replaced.

Mike

Yes I have also invested in a proper socket and breaker bar. I will use it just for the standard bolts and do away with the lock nuts.
Just for a bit of bling I have bought the £6 chrome plastic caps. They are tricky to get off and would be a slight hinderance to thieves not much granted. But for 20 at £6 if I break a couple I will replace them.
Its not like I am taking the wheels off every week.
The plastic tool that they come with is not much use unless you push them on ever so slightly. So a pair of snipe nose pliers to wriggle them off it is.
I will post a pic when the service centre gets the lock nut off.

No lock nuts for me!
Had them on my Golf 4. Got rid of them as soon as possible. I don't want the hassle of breaking a nut and find myself stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Just 20 standard nuts. Who would be interested in 16" alloys anyway?

Back