Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative to carrying spare 907 for Cadac

C

Craig Storey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hey guys, bought myself a Cadac Carried Chef 2 for the Cali. Used it goes trimester this weekend and it performed flawlessly, think I will buy the paella pan for it so I don't have to clean the grill down all the time but in fairness everything cleaned up pretty well, and pretty quickly.

My question is, does anyone have an alternative option to carrying a spare 907? I understand a spare 907 for a week or so away, but to carry one all the time for 1-3 days seems daft. Thinking something smaller but still readily available, any thoughts?

I am new to the Ocean, in the past always using our Cadac with a massive gas bottle.
I am still unsure whether or not to :-

Buy another 907, our local gas bottle company sell a new bottle filled for £ 49

Just remove the fitted 907 when parked up if using the Cadac on a site and refit as reqd.

Or pipe up a Tee piece in the supply to the hob ( obviously inside the gas container and make an outlet with a quick connection properly secured and gas tight) Still looking at this option and may not be possible but if any one has any suggestions ???

Kev

think you can use any smaller bottle. I'm sure there is a tiny one that screws on underneath but not checked that out yet I used a 907 on my cadac and it lasted the whole summer with lots of use. so I'm sure a smaller one will last 3 days easy. just use the cadac connection

I don't like carrying an extra gas bottle in the van, if I take one it goes in the external box. For short breaks we don't bother with a second bottle.

I put a quick release connector in the flexi hose in the gas container & did the same on the BBQ hose. It means I can plug the external BBQ into the van bottle in seconds.

I cant use both BBQ and Hob at the same time but we don't tend to.
Either the weathers good & I cook outside, or its bad & we cook inside.

Also have an ordinary regulator with a short hose & same connector for using a second bottle on longer breaks.

I don't like carrying an extra gas bottle in the van, if I take one it goes in the external box. For short breaks we don't bother with a second bottle.

I put a quick release connector in the flexi hose in the gas container & did the same on the BBQ hose. It means I can plug the external BBQ into the van bottle in seconds.

I cant use both BBQ and Hob at the same time but we don't tend to.
Either the weathers good & I cook outside, or its bad & we cook inside.

Also have an ordinary regulator with a short hose & same connector for using a second bottle on longer breaks.

That sounds like the idea I have, can you take some pics?

Thank you

Kev

This is what I use - self sealing as a backup to the regulator being turned off. Cost about £5 from most camping shops. Pull back the sprung loaded knurled bit to separate the 2 halves. Its about 50mm long

ha035h-1_1.jpg

I was thinking of installing something like this, fitted inside the van on the outside of the gas container.
Suitably sealed and gas tight.

MIGHT BE A STUPID IDEA THO !!!

b6087g-1.jpg

I was thinking of installing something like this, fitted inside the van on the outside of the gas container.
Suitably sealed and gas tight.

MIGHT BE A STUPID IDEA THO !!!

View attachment 38563
You do realise the Gas Container is in fact the Water Tank?
The only access to the Gas Tank holding area would be through the Lid.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../068/subcategory/68030/part_id/3706722/lang/e

The better alternative might be to look at putting in a T connection in the Gas delivery pipe from Gas Container to Hob.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl.../068/subcategory/68040/part_id/3692921/lang/e

Last edited:
No I did not, thank you I did say it might be a silly idea !! :):):)

We had two 907s from years of camping, when one was empty I exchanged it for a full 904 for our cadac. The 904 sits safely in the bench seat drawer.

Since I got a slidepod, because that runs on a twin en417 adapter (I think cadac) I have switched our regulators to run on the EN417 setup, which are much smaller bottles. We did run CampingGaz bottles on our safari chef etc prior to that but the gas is very expensive in the UK and the bottles are very large. Switching the cadac regulator has meant everything runs off the same bottles including our AlpKit.

I appreciate that for the Ocean changing the regulator may be slightly more difficult but it could be done.

I installed a quick release adapter on our Cadac. And have two hoses - one for the 907 (as backup) and on the small disposable ones. We spend 4 weeks this summer using the Cadac regularly and did only use one disposable canister.

I am new to the Ocean, in the past always using our Cadac with a massive gas bottle.
I am still unsure whether or not to :-

Buy another 907, our local gas bottle company sell a new bottle filled for £ 49

Just remove the fitted 907 when parked up if using the Cadac on a site and refit as reqd.

Or pipe up a Tee piece in the supply to the hob ( obviously inside the gas container and make an outlet with a quick connection properly secured and gas tight) Still looking at this option and may not be possible but if any one has any suggestions ???

Kev
As discussed previously, the length of coiled hose will take up the same, if not more space than a spare bottle?

6296485E-66AD-4086-8BE1-A5373C9C1871.jpeg Have a look at the Cadac Powerpac, it uses two standard EN417 self sealing camping cartridges. Regulator, hose & six cans is similar price to a 907 bottle, but more compact. I think this is the one MattBW mentioned above. We have used these in conversions to save space. Buying replacement gas cans in packs of 6 is much cheaper than refilling the 907 too.

Yes, Coleman ones are good, but any of the EN417 cans work. Just make sure that you use two the same size as it uses the pair together to get the pressure. Six 500g cans is a little more gas than a 907 bottle, so should last a long time.

Back