Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative to VW wind-out awning

Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Firstly, apologies if this is not in the correct forum area.

I've yet to have the pleasure of a Cali on my drive (still awaiting the confirmed build date...grrrrrr) However, if nothing else the long wait is giving me time to research everything else (and expensive research it is :))

I've spec'd the factory fit awning on the Cali. a) its cheaper to order at the start, and b) it will help the resale value, although frankly I'm fully intending to keep the Cali for ever and ever :thumb

But, I'm seriously considering removing and storing the awning as if I'm honest, I don't like the look of it on the van, and, it screams 'Camper' which I'm not overly comfortable with.

But, having always had a sun canopy on my air-cooled campers, I know how great they are, so will definitely want to use one when out for the day or away for a night or two.

It needs to be compact so I can throw it in the back, but also look good, and work as it should.

Does anyone else use an after-market canopy? And with side panels?

Pic and/or advice would be fab, TIA :thumb

PS: I've ordered the Acapulco Blue Ocean and the black awning rail.

There are other alternatives .
Tarps , selfmade or Brandrup one
But , the awining is very easy to set up , no need to store anything xtra in the Cali exept the handle bar wich fit nicely in the drawer under the rear seat.

It comes very handy when it rains , just wind it out a bit ( 30 cm ) and it keeps the open sliding door dry ...
The same in the sun ....winding it out a bit takes 2min. It keeps the sun of the verhicle resulting in a cooler Cali

I can't help you with an alternative to the factory fitted awning but I do agree it looks a bit unsightly. I have seen two awnings on Cali's that have been colour coded which make it look a lot better cause it doesn't stand out. Something I definitely will get done. I have a couple of driveway awnings (big & small both Vango Airway) and have only used the wind out to store stuff when I took the camp down one day early to avoid a "wet" pack up on the following day. The wind out with curtains (Comfortz) must be good for short stays. Like you colour choice BTW.

Hi smiffy.

I agree with you about the aesthetics of the big box tacked on the side but I understand the ease of having one fitted as HC mentions.

I didn't order one to keep my van looking "clean" plus when I hired a Cali for a week I never used the awning so decided not to bother.

However since having my Cali for a few months now I have found it handy to have something to provide shade on very hot days. We bought a nice awning that packs up very tight from EuroTrail. I'd say the roof awning fits into a bag about 2'x1.5' and I can fit this in between one of my building camping chairs that lives in the tailgate so no loss of boot space. The poles fit down on the lower floor and slide down the gap between the seat and the cupboard so again marginal boot space used up.

I bought a side screen too and thus can go either side if it's needed. This can be stored in between the other camping chair.

It takes ten mins to put up and clips into the strip on the cant rail.

Thanks for all the replies guys :thumb Very useful opinions and advice as always.

Practicality vs 'looks' is an interesting debate!! As a die-hard VW fan I'm a bit fussy about how a van looks, and also, as mentioned, I'm not overly keen on it being so obviously a 'camper', if only from security point of view. I don't have the luxury of a garage, and it will be my daily drive (yippee!!) so will always be 'out in the open' for all to see. However, there is no doubting the excellent design and practicality of the VW awning.

I very nearly didn't order it at all, but my dealer rightly persuaded me to purchase it anyway, for the reasons stated in my original post.

The Eurotrail setup looks great, and the colour matches as well, thank you Days Out, I shall look into that one. Very good of you to post a pic as well. A single side screen would be fine, a bit of privacy without feeling boxed in.

Having had several aircooled 'buses' over the years, splits, bays, and a lovely T25 Westy, (still very much missed 5 years on....:() I'm used to their fantastic individuality, and how you can make them your own by way of interiors, curtains, even the odd sticker! As much as I'm beyond excited about the impending arrival of Mr Blu (as named by the kids), I do struggle a bit with how they all look the same, so anything that can make it a bit individual is good with me.

And by the way, the interior of my lovely T25 Westy, which would now be over 25years old, is virtually identical to an Ocean, they were way ahead of their time.....

I was a bit like you, not particularly in favour of the attached awning. However after 4 years of ownership I would not be without it. If anything it kind of defines the 'look' of a California.

I'm hoping my Acapulco Blue Ocean will arrive in about six weeks time

I've been having the same thoughts as you and plan to remove the awning - I'll be using the Cali daily too, and I think the awning is too conspicuous given where I'll be parking. I don't doubt its practicality though, and expect to use it on longer trips.

I'm trying to figure out the best way of attaching a drive away awning when the fitted awning isn't there. I've read every thread I can find on the subject and there are some comments to the effect that you can do so without the need for the VW rubber insert but I can't find details on how that is actually done. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

My Cali came without an awning, and I have since fitted a Fiamma awning so I have the experience of putting one on rather than taking one off! However they are bigger and heavier than they look when fitted, and safe storage may be an issue, but i think the biggest problem of taking them off is the brackets. I'm assuming the factory fit has the same system but the Fiamma brackets are quite large and would look unsightly sticking out of the side of the roof. However I don't think it would be a good idea to regularly remove the brackets as they are bolted into housings in the roof and you would be just asking to damage the paintwork.

IMG_0194.JPG
We decided to remove our factory fitted awning for the winter, bit paranoid over the tendency of brackets to collect crud with all the posts about corrosion. This is how the brackets look after the awning assembly has been removed, I took it to help me remember how to put it back together (memory of a goldfish), but you can see how the rubbish accumulates where the sun don't shine. Each bracket is retained by three easily removed T30 Torx bolts into a square section, light grey on picture. Very solid and no direct contact on paintwork in the gutter, so no damage in removing or replacing, and enables us to get lots of lovely protective wax onto the paint here.

Like some posters we prefer the streamlined look without the awning, but of course like to look for the telltale awning to wave at passing Cali's!

Thank you for the pictures of the Eurotrail set up, if we had seen that option we might well have gone for it, so simple and no problem to keep clean or remove; but like Hotel California we do find the wind out to 30cm option is really quick and effective, and much easier to deal with if everything is wet when time to leave.

Thanks for all the replies guys :thumb Very useful opinions and advice as always.

Practicality vs 'looks' is an interesting debate!! As a die-hard VW fan I'm a bit fussy about how a van looks, and also, as mentioned, I'm not overly keen on it being so obviously a 'camper', if only from security point of view. I don't have the luxury of a garage, and it will be my daily drive (yippee!!) so will always be 'out in the open' for all to see. However, there is no doubting the excellent design and practicality of the VW awning.

I ...

We also use our Cali daily & it lives on our drive ( too big for our garage).
We also choose de badge option to aid security. In fact our detailer thought it was a transporter ,which was fine by us.

Stored the awning on wooden beams across the garage roof.

Last edited:
Personal i find a bikerack more "disturbing" as some mention here than a awning.....
Or roof mounted things like boxes and surfboards....
We are talking about a essential part of the California if you are camping.
In the end the California is a " van " with special features..it is up to you witch special features you want .

Currently we have no wind-out awning fitted, as others have mentioned - the lines do look a bit cleaner without. On the other hand, they are very convenient when compared to the traditional awnings with poles, pegs and ropes..we have a Reimo Mauritius awning but rarely use it as it's such a faff.

I might end up buying a Fiamma F45 and then only fitting it when we actually go camping (and leave it fitted in the summer "season"), it's not such a hassle to fit and remove.

Another awning option is Stitch and Steel , I think they look quite nice.

As always I seem to be the perverse one :(

I have never used my awning, never even wound it out, but keep it fitted as it makes the van look like a camper, which after all is what I bought.

Last edited:

I have never used my awning, never I wound it, but keep it fitted as it makes the van look like a camper, which after all is what I bought.

We hardly use our awning. When we do it's either blisteringly hot or pissing it down. Make sure you buy an awning tie down kit, the wind will easily lift it and wreck it even in a light wind.

We hardly use our awning. When we do it's either blisteringly hot or pissing it down. Make sure you buy an awning tie down kit, the wind will easily lift it and wreck it even in a light wind.

That's what I heard, hence not ordering one. The Eurotrail is only a faf the first few times you use it. Like anything it gets quicker the more you practice. Interestingly the first time we used it I forgot to clamp it to the rail and a slight gust of wind had it down. No damage because it's all fabric. I'd hate to see the damage the wind could do to a fitted awning and the side of a nice shiny van.

I have never used my awning, never even wound it out, but keep it fitted as it makes the van look like a camper, which after all is what I bought.

I've used mine twice in the 5 months I've had the the van, once when it was raining on our picnic and none of the other 5 or 6 vans had an awning ( :happy ), and the first time away with my OH just to see how to do it!

But I too like the fact that it demonstrates that it's a campervan!

The Reimo sun porch and Brandrup top sail with a raising bar look interesting.
I haven't found the need for one yet, but maybe a necessity if travelling south? I have a tarp but it's footery and HUGE!

It all depends on whether you think you will use it. We didn't want the awning cos of look/weight and likelihood of us using it. We went for 4motion and often travel long distances so weight and fuel consumption was also a factor. We already had a lightweight tarp, so sewed a kador strip on, ready for use as a sun shade for the blistering heat of southern France and Spain where we do most of our camping.

California without Awning = T5/T6 van or Caravelle/Shuttle. Never wave.

California with Awning = Fellow Campervan addict. Always wave.

Always using the awning and I don't think the fuel efficiency of driving a brick is going to be that badly affected by having an awning fitted. Also using it all year round I don't have an off season and cleaning the debris that collects in the roof gutters takes less than 30 secs when washing the vehicle. Each to his own though, but I wouldn't be without the Awning.

Oh!

I Always wave to Caravelles!

and to plumbers, builders, carpet fitters in North devon and nice people leaving Sainsbury's car park. I even wave to people from Wales.

I also wave in a friendly reconciling way to people who cut me up although in those circumstances it is often with just one finger.

Still campervan addict without awning in the winter . We wave at everyone.
Diversity rules.

It's great we have different ways of using our Calis

Clean the roof gutter monthly & eachtime the roof is raised but surprised at the amount of debris underneath the awning along roof edge. Should have taken a photo.

I beg to differ - I was the only one with an awning at this meet and we enjoyed our picnic in the rain!

DSCF0014 (Medium).JPG

Back