Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative under-sink drawer options....and a slide out for the left hand cupboard!

Has anyone found an easy way of moving the draw from the right to the left without buying a new runner?
I'd much prefer it on the left. So much easier to get to when the table is out.

Has anyone found an easy way of moving the draw from the right to the left without buying a new runner?
An interesting idea. I actually like ours on the right as we have a little tray that goes atop it so it can be pulled out and used as a handy little ”table” between the front and back seats.

If on the left its going to make it extremely hard to get to the gas valves?

If on the left its going to make it extremely hard to get to the gas valves?
Someone on here has done it so they're probably better answering but from looking at the draw in its original position then I think it would be OK.

Someone on here has done it so they're probably better answering but from looking at the draw in its original position then I think it would be OK.
I don't see how you could get to the valves without removing the draw.
If the draw was fitted lower down to give space to get your hand in between the top of the draw & the underside of the hob then you can't open the draw when the bed is down.

I don't see how you could get to the valves without removing the draw.
If the draw was fitted lower down to give space to get your hand in between the top of the draw & the underside of the hob then you can't open the draw when the bed is down.
I've just been and looked at mine. The draw on the right is low enough to switch exactly to the left and get to my valve easily.
Would definitely need to trim the draw to account for the curve on the lefthand cupboard, and then I would look for a spare shelf for the right so I would have 3 shelves instead of 2.
Think this is a job I will do later this year when I have more time.

We have a drawer on the left and yes, it restricts access to the gas switch a little. Not a major issue as we only need to pull the drawer out slightly for access and we only store soft items in there - tea towels etc.

We have a drawer on the left and yes, it restricts access to the gas switch a little. Not a major issue as we only need to pull the drawer out slightly for access and we only store soft items in there - tea towels etc.
Do you have any other photos when you reduced the drawer width please? And the fixing details?

I was looking at the left hand cupboard only the other day and wondering how I could use the space better. :thumb

Hi @subthree
I can take some photos but bear in mind that my solution was a bit ‘Heath Robinson’ and based on using a slide out shelf that I wasn’t happy with. I used the fixings for the shelf but replaced the shelf itself with a modified drawer. I dismantled the drawer and reduced the width by 15mm and reassembled it. Note: The front of the drawer didn’t need reducing.
If I was starting from scratch I would fit a full sized drawer and appropriate width aluminium (or wood) uprights with the drawer rails fixed to them. Actually the ones that VW fit to the right hand drawer would probably work but you’d need to reverse them. Difficult to describe but will send a photo asap.

Hi @subthree
I can take some photos but bear in mind that my solution was a bit ‘Heath Robinson’ and based on using a slide out shelf that I wasn’t happy with. I used the fixings for the shelf but replaced the shelf itself with a modified drawer. I dismantled the drawer and reduced the width by 15mm and reassembled it. Note: The front of the drawer didn’t need reducing.
If I was starting from scratch I would fit a full sized drawer and appropriate width aluminium (or wood) uprights with the drawer rails fixed to them. Actually the ones that VW fit to the right hand drawer would probably work but you’d need to reverse them. Difficult to describe but will send a photo asap.
OK here are some photos which might make things clearer. With the correct ‘uprights’ and ‘runners’ you wouldn’t have to modify the width of the drawer as I had to. Nor would the front of the runners be visible. It would be as per the additional drawer set that can be purchased.

82ACBE8F-AF7D-4F05-95BC-0D2C9D22EC39.jpeg

B5DC4A47-303E-461A-8463-AB6370B3CFDC.jpeg

6213F201-211C-4B74-BCCC-D76E9091D1DF.jpeg

1AED2D48-5ADB-4BAA-8430-213869E3123D.jpeg

42493E27-53DB-4517-A985-599EDE48E183.jpeg

FB35BE45-5144-4770-BCBE-CCF160795DA8.jpeg

ACFE3401-007C-429A-8219-ABCCB00E881C.jpeg

915A84B7-29AE-4E8C-8F07-60C479C1628C.jpeg

OK here are some photos which might make things clearer. With the correct ‘uprights’ and ‘runners’ you wouldn’t have to modify the width of the drawer as I had to. Nor would the front of the runners be visible. It would be as per the additional drawer set that can be purchased.

View attachment 91517

View attachment 91518

View attachment 91519

View attachment 91520

View attachment 91521

View attachment 91522

View attachment 91523

View attachment 91524
Thank you very much for the photos, very helpful.

I took out my right hand drawer this morning to look at the runners. They should be easy to get. As you say, I don't think the drawer needs reducing in width. Just need to think how I fix the runners to the kitchen walls.

Back