Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alternative under-sink drawer options....and a slide out for the left hand cupboard!

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I was thinking the same thing as my spare shelf is in the garage.

I have had a look in the under hon cupboard and realised I’d need to drill holes to fit the shelf clips. I know @Aubergine-ine drills holes all the time but they advise caution to avoid hidden electrics. I can imagine there could be a number of cables from the fridge etc in close proximity. I may not be brave enough to get the drill out for fear of damaging it and the ensuing costly repair!

Hello,

That is actually a good idea, haven't thought about that. I wonder if the shelf from the right is the same as from the left. I will give it a try in the next days.

Regards,
Eberhard

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Thanks, in which case I think this thread has just cost me €125 (incl delivery to UK)

We replaced our home kitchen a few years ago and added lots of pull out drawers - they have revolutionised our kitchen, so I’m (perhaps overly) excited about this pull out shelf

I totally agree. Once everything has an easily accessible home, where you don’t need to move things to get at them, staying organised is so much easier. Drawers or pull out boxes are the way to go.

sinbad

sinbad

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
You can drill holes in the fridge side wall, but use a depth stop to make sure you dont go too deep, the shelf can be moved over, but as it is curved you need to remove the front edge and turn the shlf over ten re attach the edge, its quite simple to do

P3240062.JPG

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
You can drill holes in the fridge side wall, but use a depth stop to make sure you dont go too deep, the shelf can be moved over, but as it is curved you need to remove the front edge and turn the shlf over ten re attach the edge, its quite simple to do

View attachment 70232

Thank you for the picture; that’s just what I was thinking of for the shelf.

I’d be tempted to leave the edging off to make it easier to pull out the baskets but that might be tempting fate and a damaged door!

Never used a ‘depth stop’ before but presume I can get one at a good DIY merchants.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello,

That is actually a good idea, haven't thought about that. I wonder if the shelf from the right is the same as from the left. I will give it a try in the next days.

Regards,
Eberhard
I don’t think the right and left fixed shelves are not the same in a T6.1 due to the curvature of the front edge.

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Thank you for the picture; that’s just what I was thinking of for the shelf.

I’d be tempted to leave the edging off to make it easier to pull out the baskets but that might be tempting fate and a damaged door!

Never used a ‘depth stop’ before but presume I can get one at a good DIY merchants.
Just wrap some tape around the drill bit at the depth you want. No need to spend money on a special tool.

Eber123

Eber123

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I don’t think the right and left fixed shelves are not the same in a T6.1 due to the curvature of the front edge.

Hello,

I will have a look tomorrow.

If my spare shelf from the right side fits into the left side I hope I find another way to fix the shelf brackets to the side. I know me, if I drill holes into the cupboard I will do more damage than it is worth.

With all the experience, why hasn't VW put some holes in the side to give the user an option to either place the shelf in a different height or add an additional shelf?

Why-o-why?

Happy California,
Eberhard

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello,

I will have a look tomorrow.

If my spare shelf from the right side fits into the left side I hope I find another way to fix the shelf brackets to the side. I know me, if I drill holes into the cupboard I will do more damage than it is worth.

With all the experience, why hasn't VW put some holes in the side to give the user an option to either place the shelf in a different height or add an additional shelf?

Why-o-why?

Happy California,
Eberhard
They really should.
I guess you could buy some square or angle section aluminium (or wood), cut to length and stick them to the sides to support the shelf. A high strength double sided tape should do the trick.

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Just wrap some tape around the drill bit at the depth you want. No need to spend money on a special tool.
Ah yes...I am accustomed with that technique but my drilling skills aren't great and I'm worried it will punch through and damage something!

S

subthree

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Ah yes...I am accustomed with that technique but my drilling skills aren't great and I'm worried it will punch through and damage something!
I would normally use a bit of tape but for the sake of £2 versus the potential damage to a Cali kitchen I too would probably get one of these.

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
I would normally use a bit of tape but for the sake of £2 versus the potential damage to a Cali kitchen I too would probably get one of these.

Is feel much happier drilling if I had that in place.
Thank you for the link.

Zebedee

Zebedee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have acrylic fridge storage boxes which have a handle on them haven’t needed extra shelf space but i do have the old style kitchen shelf and hooks just below top bed and a £1 poundland chopping board over the sink

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
So same across these tonight:

View attachment 70210

....and then found they have a slide out for the left cupboard:

View attachment 70211

Thought people might like to see it.....
345 euros, so not cheap.

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
345 euros, so not cheap.
Certainly not but I can’t think of much for the Cali that is.

I just know that, although I wouldn’t be without my shop style drawers, they don’t suit everyone, and I think knowing about other options is always useful.

For me the shop drawers win, hands down!

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
You can add extra shelves. I fitted the drawers in the right hand cupboard and sold the redundant shelf to a club member. There should be a few unneeded shelves out there because quite a few people have fitted the drawer kit. You’ll need the retaining clips as well as the shelf.
And here it is.

20201111_140727.jpg

Dr-Snickers

Dr-Snickers

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199

View attachment 70232
So, I found my spare left sided shelf. Can I ask how you removed the front trim, because mine won’t budge? I might just be a weakling, but it looks like the metal is pressed on in places.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So same across these tonight:

View attachment 70210

....and then found they have a slide out for the left cupboard:

View attachment 70211

Thought people might like to see it.....
Thanks for sharing these. Like the idea of sliding shelves rather than drawers. The left cupboard sliding shelf would be particularly good for me.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
They really should.
I guess you could buy some square or angle section aluminium (or wood), cut to length and stick them to the sides to support the shelf. A high strength double sided tape should do the trick.
That sounds like a better plan for people like me who are a bit “over enthusiastic” with a drill.

VW California Club