Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Annoying search restriction

Bramco

Bramco

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I'm sure I'm not the only one to find this annoying but the restriction on word size in the search can be really frustrating.

I want to search for 'key' because I'm looking for info on getting a non electronic key for when I'm out windsurfing.

'key' doesn't work in the search because it's only 3 characters. I've hit this before with other searches.

Why is there such a restriction? I can search using the term 'key' in Google and see threads on the forum.....

Maybe this is why HC has his work cut out reminding people about search....

Correct , short words don't work....
Try "surf key" , just did it and those treads you are looking for where in the list;)

I am also after a spare non electronic key
I recently asked Timpsons about getting a basic, non remote key. Apparently they have to create a cloned key with a transponder in the key set up for the specific vehicle and as yet they haven't "cracked the code" for my T5. Like you I need a submersible key. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found a locksmith who can supply one.

Last edited:
With your VIN number you simply order on ar VW , mine was arround 50euro.

I had the same problem when searching for threads on DSG... Hadn't thought about the wildcard...

Led is another example.

And while HC you are correct I could put my search words in quotes or Loz add a wildcard this isn't what you do in normal website use.

Google will return threads with 3 letter search words - why can't the site itself do this.

Imagine newbies trying out the site for the first time only to find that apparently their search for a common term like key, dsg or led returns with zero results. Not very helpful.

Led is another example.

And while HC you are correct I could put my search words in quotes or Loz add a wildcard this isn't what you do in normal website use.

Google will return threads with 3 letter search words - why can't the site itself do this.

Imagine newbies trying out the site for the first time only to find that apparently their search for a common term like key, dsg or led returns with zero results. Not very helpful.
It's a setting on the forum software to limit the amount of processing power required when searching the database.
I am sure if the forum owners had the same number of servers that Google had there wouldn't be such a restriction :) Database searches on a form this size can be very resource intensive and that's why it's limited.

It's a setting on the forum software to limit the amount of processing power required when searching the database.
I am sure if the forum owners had the same number of servers that Google had there wouldn't be such a restriction :) Database searches on a form this size can be very resource intensive and that's why it's limited.

Hi Loz, I would have hoped that the forum owners are using a 3rd party like Amazon to host the forum, which should enable dynamic load balancing. Also surely the software in use indexes the threads to make searching less resource hungry. But having said that, even if they aren't using a 3rd party and haven't any indexing then I'd question how many searches are performed each day and then the benefit of restricting searches to words larger than 3 characters. Seems like a bit of a false economy but then I'm sure the mods know what they are doing.