Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone use a wood burner?

Tried to explain to SWMBO that I can fix it and she doesn’t understand that its a ”bloke thing” that I need to fix it myself. But as Christmas looms..... things aren’t looking good!
I can put up with the cold but not the daily demands for progress reports:(
Yes I fixed ours a couple of times but tbh the winters just started with trepidation if another issue so time for a change. Our garage is now a lot colder but we use the same amount of oil for a much warmer house!

like to add a picture inside the stove after burning yesterday see #33 above
32EB6BB6-549B-49B1-844E-FD0D14CA0554.jpegAs usual no black risidu , nice clean side walls.
you will also notice almost no ash remains

Nothing like chillin with a good wood burner (multi fuel)

E7A0C05A-7442-40A7-A5DF-5888831D6621.jpeg

Last edited:
Our Jotul that we installed last year. Do we love it more than the Cali?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201220-184557.png
    Screenshot_20201220-184557.png
    526.7 KB · Views: 18
A Chilli Penguin Chube - one of the few Scandi style stoves that burn solid fuel as well as wood. Now discontinued but it was based on a virtually identical stove by Oak Stoves in South Wales which is still available. IMG_20201027_155648.jpg

Jydepejsen. Only use it a few times a year and only when temp drops below freezing outside because it gets too hot! 389EFFE7-23B2-4482-8F4D-A938512CD771.jpeg

I'm a Chimney Sweep, I bought my business in 1993,
Nice little earner there :thumb
Just paid 83 euros for 4 minutes work for the obligatory
yearly flue clean, we also have the twice a year gas burner
flue check but that's quite cheap at 63 euros a pop.

The chimney sweep is God to the heating fitter in germany, if
the chimney sweep doesn't sign it off then its not allowed.
Although its an extra cost i don't mind, i like things proper.

Nice little earner there :thumb
Just paid 83 euros for 4 minutes work for the obligatory
yearly flue clean, we also have the twice a year gas burner
flue check but that's quite cheap at 63 euros a pop.

The chimney sweep is God to the heating fitter in germany, if
the chimney sweep doesn't sign it off then its not allowed.
Although its an extra cost i don't mind, i like things proper.
Blimey. I just paid £45 for my annual check and clean. I don't think there are any rules requiring annual cleans here but perhaps insurance might be difficult if a fire occurred in an neglected chimney.
He also cut me a full new set of bricks for an extra £40 fitted.

Blimey. I just paid £45 for my annual check and clean. I don't think there are any rules requiring annual cleans here but perhaps insurance might be difficult if a fire occurred in an neglected chimney.
He also cut me a full new set of bricks for an extra £40 fitted.
I don't want to blow the trumpet but if it fits in with
the german safety standard then im in.
Can be costly... but then again i can go out and drive
as fast as i want to on the autobahn.

they fitted one in a car on top gear once

I would treat this report with a very large dose of salt. The report says little about the type of burner, type of log, how the burner was set up, how recently the chimney was cleaned, how the burner is/was maintained or serviced, how the door was opened (if fast then smoke will enter the room, if carefully then no smoke entered the room), was the user experienced in using a wood stove? I could go on. We have used our wood stove for 40 years, regularly cleaned the chimney, regularly maintained the stove, use dry wood, open the door carefully and then only when the chimney has a good draft (warmed up). Like anything, use poorly and you will get problems. Learn how to use your stove properly and you will have few, if any, problems.

I see a short piece in today's Guardian throws the original article into doubt. The author purchased a particulate monitor and measured the particle concentration in his own home with and without the burner alight and with the door open and closed. No difference in particulate concentration was measured. Igniting a match near the monitor sent the measurements soring. Monitoring dust levels in my house over 40 years of stove use, this is what I expected.

I see a short piece in today's Guardian throws the original article into doubt. The author purchased a particulate monitor and measured the particle concentration in his own home with and without the burner alight and with the door open and closed. No difference in particulate concentration was measured. Igniting a match near the monitor sent the measurements soring. Monitoring dust levels in my house over 40 years of stove use, this is what I expected.
Objective measurement, whatever next, that will become a hate crime in the near future, the meme cannot be contradicted.

We have an air quality monitor which measures Temperature, Humidity, VOCs, CO 2 and Dust particles.
We try to limit our chemical and dust exposure and have a general understanding of clean air principles. Our home was extensively renovated without or with minimal VOC materials and once completed an air quality survey confirmed all was good.
Normally the air monitor reads 2.5 PM , we find the problem occurs only when opening the stove door and adding wood (properly seasoned), the monitor then rises rapidly and maintains high readings for 20 minutes or so until vented.
C0 2 levels are also poor unless the room is vented properly i.e open window, stoves with a closed air system are preferable.
Interestingly the monitor goes off the scale for chemical levels when partaking in a wee whisky

There are particulates and particulates. Some will kill you stone dead quite quickly (like the ones from the Chernobyl reactor on full bore), others will kill you slowly (like the ones from our diesel engines) while others will have little impact (like the ones from a forest on a spring morning). I imagine those from a log burner will do you very little damage unless you spend your life stuck in front of it. But then my old editor used to say: “To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever been killed or seriously injured whilst drinking a nice glass of brandy in front of a roaring log fire.”

It does make me smile when the media and politicians start spouting forth about all these reports relating to things we do or things we eat or don't eat that increase your risk of dying or developing some disease. I wonder if anyone has looked into the absolute effect of all these things in total and absolute effect on life expectancy if you did everything that's been published.
Eg: there's a risk of driving a diesel car from A to B but also a risk of taking public transport. At present, which is greater? There is a risk of having a woodburner but what is the risk of hypothermia or using coal or electricity to you or others? Life is not without risk in any task and the human race has been quit good at assessing the overall risk and mitigating it otherwise we wouldn't still be here. Darwin Theories of evolution still hold true.
Do the right things and you survive to breed, Don't do the right things and you sucumbe early and don't breed.

1610796610070.png

Stress is said to be a killer, so waiting for a California build week could seriously damage ones health. Cancel your orders immediately to survive :)

Stress is said to be a killer, so waiting for a California build week could seriously damage ones health. Cancel your orders immediately to survive :)
I think that's sound advice, because some of the postings about people continually stressing out about getting a build date from VW, when obviously VW have no idea about build dates, will pale into insignificance compared with the stress levels they will experience when they need to contact their dealer with regard any future problems they might experience!

Back