Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas burner rings

H

Helen Baron

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I inadvertently left one of the gas burner rings on too long the other day and the heat has changed it from a shiny steel silver colour to a brown/multi colour. Does anyone know what to use to remove the heat stains? We've only had our new Ocean for 6 weeks, oops - a bit upset with myself. Thanks, Helen

I did similar when ours was a few weeks old. It was really obvious at first but I barely notice it now. I think the whole unit has discoloured a bit as it's been used over time.

Like John says, it happens with normal with use. I tried vainly to polish it back to shiny, but did not succeed.

I inadvertently left one of the gas burner rings on too long the other day and the heat has changed it from a shiny steel silver colour to a brown/multi colour. Does anyone know what to use to remove the heat stains? We've only had our new Ocean for 6 weeks, oops - a bit upset with myself. Thanks, Helen
Normal. At least you've used the hob, unlike some.:thumb

Only way to keep them shiny as new is not to cook on them...:D
It won't stay showroom new forever;)

Someone once posted that they had melted the washing up bowl while using the ring next to it. This makes me cautious when using that ring. Has anyone else encountered this as a problem? We currently remove the washing up bowl if using that ring, as a precaution.

Someone once posted that they had melted the washing up bowl while using the ring next to it. This makes me cautious when using that ring. Has anyone else encountered this as a problem? We currently remove the washing up bowl if using that ring, as a precaution.
Not had that problem on mine, over 2 years, but I can see it happening if you use very large diameter pans on that ring. By large I mean pans of a size that you couldn't fit 2 side by side on the two rings.:thumb

I think there's mention of maximum pan diameter in the handbook.

I know, and how many members admit to not having read the Handbook?:headbang

That was me. Yes, the washing up bowl got a bit melted when I used the right hand ring. We binned it as it was just a pita anyway!

That was me. Yes, the washing up bowl got a bit melted when I used the right hand ring. We binned it as it was just a pita anyway!
That plastic wash up bowl is not original VW but Brandrup stuff so not meant to be there while coocking...pretty obvious it would melt if you leave it in place while coocking on the right burner...

We hired a van last year and the bowl in the sink was distorted having been melted with heat from the right ring. - so we know to be careful with ours! We've only used Cali as a day van at the moment, but already there is discoloration on the ring that we've used - it's normal.

Yep! Our washing bowl is slightly melted. So we always remove it. Actually, at the moment it is out of the car, since we bought a collapsable outwell.

Yes there is page 233 (gas system section)

Energy-efficient usage
For maximum energy efficiency when using the cooker, please follow these suggestions:
• Use pots and pans with a diameter between
16 -20cm.​
• Use pots and pans with flat (not convex) bottoms .
  • Centre pots and pans over the flame.
The gas flame should not extend around the edge of the pot or pan

I've not read the manual cover to cover but getting there slowly.

..me..

I have ordered a spare washing up bowl just in case I can ever bear to sell, I shall continue to use the melted one until then. It has charachter!

My washing up bowl has a slight distortion where the heat from the right hand ring got to it - even though it was used for the kettle which has a small enough diameter. Now I use the left hand ring mostly and do the same as you, remove the bowl if using the right hand ring. Not really a major problem.

Not had that problem on mine, over 2 years, but I can see it happening if you use very large diameter pans on that ring. By large I mean pans of a size that you couldn't fit 2 side by side on the two rings.:thumb
Hello Paul,
Any idea where I can purchase the 8 rubber grommets, that the gas ring supports sit on, mine have separated in two places due to age and heat.
Regds Tony

Hello Paul,
Any idea where I can purchase the 8 rubber grommets, that the gas ring supports sit on, mine have separated in two places due to age and heat.
Regds Tony

Forum shop, they sell the new type rubber ones and not the brittle ones, we replaced all 8 about a year ago, so far so good.