Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone with a T6 Cali dare look under their raising roof seal!!!

Mine is in the garage when not in use not a daily driver and only comes out for trips so not it the rain the whole time , and i got bublles under the seal ( T5 2012)

@Slovenia , normaly you can pull the seal off , open the roof 30cm stand on a small ladder and gently pull the rubbet downwarts.
If yours is glued think it's done afterwarts...
Mine lives in the garage. Only comes out for hols, weekends etc... Not got any bubbles... Ummm...

That's no surprise really as they are not rust bubbles. It's corrosion causes by galvanic action between dissimilar metals.
It only needs a speck of iron or steel from say grinding or welding to be left on the aluminium when it's primed, or contaminated primer to start this time bomb that will grow like an abscess under the skin.

That's no surprise really as they are not rust bubbles. It's corrosion causes by galvanic action between dissimilar metals.
It only needs a speck of iron or steel from say grinding or welding to be left on the aluminium when it's primed, or contaminated primer to start this time bomb that will grow like an abscess under the skin.

And a very good explanation.

As someone picking up my first ever Cali in 2 weeks I am tad surprised that VW can have such poor manufacturing processes.

Are these unique to Californias? Or do other VW vans also suffer from these?

Plus any anecdotal sense of percentage of Calis that get affected by this problem?

Normal vans are all steel so wouldn't get this reaction, the pop roof is aluminium so it also needs a special primer.

A stone chip could also start the process by allowing water to accelerate the growth, hence the plastic cap.

Normal vans are all steel so wouldn't get this reaction, the pop roof is aluminium so it also needs a special primer.

A stone chip could also start the process by allowing water to accelerate the growth, hence the plastic cap.

Ah, I know this.....from another car.

A super duper sports car I have has diamond cut alloys. The lacquer on top bubbles off.

I always complain. They claim stone chips let some water in, and then the process begins. A few years ago one alloy was affected so I had it relacquered.

Now all four of have developed it extensively.

Interestingly, has always developed only after I have had tyres changed. Which tells me it is not the stone chips but the handling of the alloys during changing of tyres that is to blame.

And actually it is not rust....

Rather it is paint/lacquer peeling off.

Now obviously very poor of VW. Many cars are made of aluminium or have aluminium panels. Doubt it is stone chips causing the problem. It is a poor finish at some end which is letting moisture or water creep in.

Ah, I know this.....from another car.

A super duper sports car I have has diamond cut alloys. The lacquer on top bubbles off.

I always complain. They claim stone chips let some water in, and then the process begins. A few years ago one alloy was affected so I had it relacquered.

Now all four of have developed it extensively.

Interestingly, has always developed only after I have had tyres changed. Which tells me it is not the stone chips but the handling of the alloys during changing of tyres that is to blame.

And actually it is not rust....

Rather it is paint/lacquer peeling off.

Now obviously very poor of VW. Many cars are made of aluminium or have aluminium panels. Doubt it is stone chips causing the problem. It is a poor finish at some end which is letting moisture or water creep in.

The fixed part of the roof will always be wet, it gets in the gap where it rests on the body.
The seal around the lifting section of the roof fills with water, and contains steel to make it grip onto the roof, perfect conditions to make a battery.
Diamond cut wheels are a crap idea because they don't put a chamfer on the corner therefore you get an incredibly thin layer of laquer on the corner allowing water ingress which then spiders out.

Vw Cali and Loz you have all this pleasure to come when your Calis arrive! :thumb

Vw Cali and Loz you have all this pleasure to come when your Calis arrive! :thumb

I know, but I have already started a plan.........

A very good friend of mine builds Carbon fibre super maxi yachts and tenders, for the race boats they also make everything out of carbon even loo seats!
I told him about this issue and he thought it would be fairly easy to make a mold of the pop roof and make them out of carbon fire. As I have a Blackberry Cali on order in a few years time when this emerges I'll take him up on his offer and I wouldn't need to paint it either..

Last edited:
I know, but I have already started a plan.........

A very good friend of mine builds Carbon fibre super maxi yachts and tenders, for the race boats they also make everything out of carbon even loo seats!
I told him about this issue and he thought it would be fairly easy to make a mold of the pop roof and make them out of carbon fire. As I have a Blackberry Cali on order in a few years time when this emerges I'll take him up on his offer and I would need to paint it either..
Sounds like a good plan, let us know the cost:shocked

Sounds like a good plan, let us know the cost:shocked

Aha, yes the cost.

My super duper sports car has plenty of outside carbon fibre.

One scrape on one part and it costs 3k gbp to replace! Carbon fibre cannot be polished or repaired.

Nonsensical material in many ways. Strong and light on one hand....exorbitant to replace on other.

The fixed part of the roof will always be wet, it gets in the gap where it rests on the body.
The seal around the lifting section of the roof fills with water, and contains steel to make it grip onto the roof, perfect conditions to make a battery.
Diamond cut wheels are a crap idea because they don't put a chamfer on the corner therefore you get an incredibly thin layer of laquer on the corner allowing water ingress which then spiders out.

Great explanation on diamond cut wheels. Explains why none of my other cars ever got it.

And my Cali was signed off on 15 August 2016 and by the 17th was sitting in some German port. I will pick it up just after 01 Sept to get a 66 registration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving this thread a bump.
Bubbling again on the roof after 2 repaints

T6 owners be sure to have a look under the seal on the raising section of the roof.

As a new owner of an older 2007 T5 I also have bubbling paint but after 9 years its still hasn't got any worse than I see in other photos and they are quite tough to the touch so I feel that I just will leave as is, has anyone got an older van with this?

I have an early T6 registered in Jan 16 with plenty use - i have checked and although its dusty and dirty under seal there is no sign of bubbling - i would be very disappointed if VW have merrily moved on to a whole new T model without resolving this issue
Hi CALI FATE :) When you pealed back the roof seal was there any mastik/adhesive type stuff holding the seal on?

Back