Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are national trust campsites free to members?

As above! Does anybody know?
No NT campsites aren’t free to members. We stayed at one recently and their website specifies this. We didn’t stay at Brownsea but it states the same on all of them.

The world is more diverse than you suspect. Everyone has a duty to be sensitive of different values

my soft sit racis

Goodness, you must tell me what I do suspect the diversity of the world to be. As someone who grew up hearing racist taunts hurled at my mother and is one of those considered to be a minority I really must have led a sheltered life.

I think also that when I penned my flippant comment that you find so objectionable I was not thinking of anything relating to humankind but more to when the trust made itself a laughing stock defending objections to badger tunnels on the M5, throwing their weight behind a group of protestors who turned out to be "out of town" protestors. I've been a member of the trust for probably nearly half a century and seen many such instances and, after all, this thread is about the National Trust and not those, currently defined by some (excluding me), as Woke.

Diversity comes in many forms, not just the narrow form you appear to have adopted when responding.

Last edited:
Thanks! Won’t bother with a membership then.
We rejoined recently and have already made back more than we paid (in entry fees etc). The NT is great for car parks all over the country.

A post on another thread (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/parking-challenges.51586/) says NT is starting to put 1.8m height barriers on some of its car parks. No intel provided on which ones exactly but I'd be interested to know which, and will certainly be writing to NT if they're starting to do that on a widespread basis (I realise they may have a particular need to deter overnighting at certain sites).

A post on another thread (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/parking-challenges.51586/) says NT is starting to put 1.8m height barriers on some of its car parks. No intel provided on which ones exactly but I'd be interested to know which, and will certainly be writing to NT if they're starting to do that on a widespread basis (I realise they may have a particular need to deter overnighting at certain sites).
Might also deter tourist cars with roof boxes.

They could at least make the height limit 2m!!

We love the National Trust…… (which is a bit weird I s’pose because many of the properties come from times when the world was clearly ’haves’ and ‘have nots’, and I would have been at the front of the revolution back in the day yelling “Off with their heads!”) however the fact is that for a one off fee we get access to beautiful historic and unique properties and parks all over the UK and free parking in nearly all the coastal car parks in Cornwall (worth it for that alone!).

We have just moved from Scotland where we had Scottish membership which as it happens is considerably cheaper than the English membership (especially if one of you is over 60 :) ).

Funnily enough, a few years ago we used to stop overnight in many of the ‘house car parks’ by simply being discreet, placing ourselves at the far end and often having a quick word with one of the attendants although they never officially sanctioned our presence,, just turned a blind eye. Unfortunately those days have gone now :(

We also used to, and still do, stop overnight in some of the more remote car parks out of season, again common sense and discretion prevailing :thumb.

We have often thought how useful it would be if the National Trust would allow campervans to stop overnight, say between 18:00 and 09:00 when the car parks would otherwise be empty. We would be happy to pay a modest fee (£10 perhaps?).

So there we are, long live the National Trust :thumb
I agree with the overnight use of car parks, this is currently being trialed at Aira Force in the Lake District for a fee of £10

I agree with the overnight use of car parks, this is currently being trialed at Aira Force in the Lake District for a fee of £10
They did that at Stickle Barn carpark in Langdale over the last couple of years. However, the last time I was there (probably about six months ago) the NT guy said they’ve now stopped it and it is NT policy to enforce no overnight camping in all NT car parks. When was the last time you were at Aira Falls?

They did that at Stickle Barn carpark in Langdale over the last couple of years. However, the last time I was there (probably about six months ago) the NT guy said they’ve now stopped it and it is NT policy to enforce no overnight camping in all NT car parks. When was the last time you were at Aira Falls?
I wonder why. A few inconsiderate numpties ruined it for the many?

Jeez - is there anywhere I can go online to escape politics?!
Nope! The whole online experience is now divisive, support one side or the other, no quarter offered for the on the fence or "wrong side" of the fence. Opinions are now facts backed up by someone on twitter (sorry, X). Going online is starting to feel toxic.

Nope! The whole online experience is now divisive, support one side or the other, no quarter offered for the on the fence or "wrong side" of the fence. Opinions are now facts backed up by someone on twitter (sorry, X). Going online is starting to feel toxic.
This is such a sad truth, one that isn’t going away anytime soon.
The reason is simple enough though, content creators, the big accounts, get a clip of the advertising revenue for their page’s view, they know that their headline has to be catchier/edgier/controversialier(sp!) to get a viewer to click their link.

Take two headlines, the first from NT
National Trust Annual Report
The second from restore trust
National Trust Outs Gay Man and Pilfers £60m

The first link will undoubtedly tell you a great deal about the operation of the organisation, but no one will click through.
The second is salacious gossip, which tells you nothing about NT but it will get ALL the traffic, the revenue. By the time visitors have read through they will
a) believe the NT is corrupt
b) have no time or inclination to read the truth, the first link
c) go on to share the misinformation on less toxic forums

Apply this logic to every news item on the internet, every day! We can then understand why the Mail Online will auto generate 60-70 Hate Megan Markle headlines per day, or why conspiracy theorists do what they do, the toxic headlines they generate lead to ad revenue, content creators are desperately competing for your mouse click.

Last edited:
Take two headlines, the first from NT
National Trust Annual Report
The second from restore trust
National Trust Outs Gay Man and Pilfers £60m

I have just Googled “National Trust Outs Gay Man and Pilfers £60m” the results that come up do not include anything from Restore NT.

They do include similar headlines from The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Mail and results also come up from The Independent & Pink News.

I can find no trace of that sentence in any publication issued by Restore NT

So where are you seeing that headline?

I have just Googled “National Trust Outs Gay Man and Pilfers £60m” the results that come up do not include anything from Restore NT.

They do include similar headlines from The Guardian, The Telegraph, The Mail and results also come up from The Independent & Pink News.

I can find no trace of that sentence in any publication issued by Restore NT

So where are you seeing that headline?
Sorry Andy, the headlines were illustrative, I made them up to fit the narrative that we live in a world where our eyes are being tempted by clickbait and that that clickbait earns content creators a fortune.

It's easy enough to find similar on their Twitter feed. Virtually every post is instructing readers to hate and vilify NT. None of them create a vision for the future, instead they leave the reader with the distinct impression that NT's values are rotten to the core, they're not. The imagery they use is either of crumbling building (NT Neglectful) or beautiful ones (NT not doing enough)

It's so stupidly similar to 2016 it's untrue. Hate, hate, hate and no concept of the future beyond a power grabs for those orchestrating things.

the headlines were illustrative, I made them up to fit the narrative that we live in a world where our eyes are being tempted by clickbait and that that clickbait earns content creators a fortune.

So you've actually made up headlines & attributed them to an organisation that you obviously don't like to paint them in a bad light.

"It's easy enough to find similar on their Twitter feed. Virtually every post is instructing readers to hate and vilify NT. "

Hate & vilify ... really ? more like get back to doing what the NT is supposed to be doing, preserving country houses not installing glitter balls & disco lights in an attempt to make it a kids play zone.

The latest couple of tweets....

"The National Trust has become dangerously focused on the politics of the day, moving the goal post further away from its original mission, to preserve our heritage."

"The encroachment into political areas by the National Trust and the diversion of resources from their original objective is disheartening.

It's especially distressing to see dedicated volunteers feeling undervalued."

"Last year, a “Quick Vote” was introduced on the AGM voting papers, encouraging voters to tick a box to vote in line with all the recommendations of the Trustees and of the Nominations Committee.

This is little more than a rubber-stamping exercise for what the management wants.
Image"

Where is the hate??

So you've actually made up headlines & attributed them to an organisation that you obviously don't like to paint them in a bad light.

"It's easy enough to find similar on their Twitter feed. Virtually every post is instructing readers to hate and vilify NT. "

Hate & vilify ... really ? more like get back to doing what the NT is supposed to be doing, preserving country houses not installing glitter balls & disco lights in an attempt to make it a kids play zone.

The latest couple of tweets....

"The National Trust has become dangerously focused on the politics of the day, moving the goal post further away from its original mission, to preserve our heritage."

"The encroachment into political areas by the National Trust and the diversion of resources from their original objective is disheartening.

It's especially distressing to see dedicated volunteers feeling undervalued."

"Last year, a “Quick Vote” was introduced on the AGM voting papers, encouraging voters to tick a box to vote in line with all the recommendations of the Trustees and of the Nominations Committee.

This is little more than a rubber-stamping exercise for what the management wants.
Image"

Where is the hate??
Obviously we can never agree on such matters. You seem to be of the mind that we should judge the National Trust, an organisation with 500 stately homes, 100s of miles of beaches, 200,000 hectares of land by worrying about 'Glitterballs' or making voting quicker and more accessible.

Me? I think we should measure Restore Trust by one person, Neil Record, its director. He is the Chairman of the secretly funded Institute for Economic Affairs, a far right, 55 Tufton Street, Think Tank. They have had an open door to Downing Street since 2015 advocating for Libertarian politics.

Most famously Liz Truss is a huge fan, she single handedly implemented their policies, crashed the economy and left the country £52 billion pounds poorer and mortgage rates that make eyes water. Link attached. They also heavily influenced the government since 2016.

So when I see tweets like
"The encroachment into political areas by the National Trust and the diversion of resources from their original objective is disheartening."
I know that they lie.
The IEA is political, its aims are libertarian , Rich White Heterosexual Men keeping all the power. The IEA couldn't give a tuppeny toss about heritage, they care about power, they care about making the world a place that their rich powerful backers want, which is nearly always the opposite of what the people want.

Or by its other director, Zewditu Gebreyohanes, she works for the Legatum Institute, who's shell company, based in Dubai, owns GBNews. Absolutely political.

They lie, they will win, they will assume power, and just like everything else they touch, they will make life worse for ordinary people. But ...... glitterballs!

You seem to be of the mind that we should judge the National Trust, an organisation with 500 stately homes, 100s of miles of beaches, 200,000 hectares of land by worrying about 'Glitterballs' or making voting quicker and more accessible.

Surely you can see that the current voting system is wrong? - Quick vote, press here to let the chairman elect who he wants, or a 15 minute process to vote for anyone else.

Glitterballs - so you think it's right that historic houses are turned into play zones for kids - chuck away the original furniture & install glitter balls & disco lights?

Well,

I had never heard of Restore Trust before this thread. For the best part of half a century I had always thought of the NT as a jewel preserving access to some of the most beautiful land in the country whilst also managing some large estates with grand houses that cost a fortune to maintain.

Having piqued my interest I've scuttled around trying to find a word of hate in any of their literature and I cannot find any. The main thrust of their movement seems to be to hold the NT to it's mandate of preservation and conservation and to prevent it from dabbling in other issues.

All this heat in this thread regarding that appears to stem from a very early post mentioning "rainbow lanyards". Well, had I been a volunteer almost certainly I would have worn one, until someone told me to, which is when I may have well have put it in the bin. As we have seen in this thread that would no doubt provoke insinuations from others of being phobic in various guises, without having knowledge of my medical history, my ethnicity and the many occasions I have been quoted publicly as an activist in defence of the human rights of not only minorities in the UK but also worldwide, probably most famously in Hansard.

Yes the NT have some lovely car parks, the evidence now suggests that the ability to access them is being curtailed for larger vehicles. Despite some of the persuasive arguments by restore trust it has not stopped me from personally loving the NT as it fulfils it's mandate and I will always support it for reasons quoted earlier.

Last edited:
Back