Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are national trust campsites free to members?

Surely you can see that the current voting system is wrong? - Quick vote, press here to let the chairman elect who he wants, or a 15 minute process to vote for anyone else.

Glitterballs - so you think it's right that historic houses are turned into play zones for kids - chuck away the original furniture & install glitter balls & disco lights?
And this is where the lie permeates Andy.

Below is a link to the Glitter Ball event.

They haven't thrown anything away, what on earth would lead you to believe that the NT would take centuries old furniture, fixtures and fittings and throw it all in the skip?

They are doing a fund raiser for Christmas, bringing in 50 Christmas trees decorated by electric lights, not electric, I demand candles! They will bring in an Eco-Ice Rink, they didn't have them when the Attingham House was built...... quick, kick the management of the NT out, I demand authenticity, let the kids slide in the mud and horse manure outside, next to the privy, smack them if they make too much noise.

They lie always, so often, you have no choice to fall for it Andy. Best Wishes

And this is where the lie permeates Andy.

Below is a link to the Glitter Ball event.

I wasn't talking about a Christmas event - I was referring to Sudbury Hall which has been turned into a pre-teens indoor playground as permanent move.

Let's not get started on Gumby Hall & Shute Barton which the current leadership want to turn into holiday accommodation & stop access for the members.

There are 36 Council members, even if all 5 Restore NT candidates were elected it isn't by any stretch of the imagination taking over, just providing some balance as to the way things are run.

I wasn't talking about a Christmas event - I was referring to Sudbury Hall which has been turned into a pre-teens indoor playground as permanent move.

Let's not get started on Gumby Hall & Shute Barton which the current leadership want to turn into holiday accommodation & stop access for the members.

There are 36 Council members, even if all 5 Restore NT candidates were elected it isn't by any stretch of the imagination taking over, just providing some balance as to the way things are run.
Given that you Fact Checked my illustrative headlines I assume you also fact checked the provenance of the two directors of RT? In doing you will be aware that RT is funded by Billionaires, that the five potential council members would be working for Billionaires.

That is at the heart of why we disagree on this I think. You might be thinking that Billionaires care about your values, I think they care about power and influence. Que sera sera I guess. Happy camping Andy.

Given that you Fact Checked my illustrative headlines I assume you also fact checked the provenance of the two directors of RT? In doing you will be aware that RT is funded by Billionaires, that the five potential council members would be working for Billionaires.

That is at the heart of why we disagree on this I think. You might be thinking that Billionaires care about your values, I think they care about power and influence. Que sera sera I guess. Happy camping Andy.

Why are you trying to provoke an argument?

The only thing I have suggested is the NT need to stick to doing what they were set up to do - preserving our Heritage.

Why do you have a problem with that?

The only thing I have suggested is the NT need to stick to doing what they were set up to do - preserving our Heritage.

I'm with @andyinluton all the way on this.

@The Tall Luthier: you are skillfull with words, and I suspect you believe what you write too, but you read like the 77th Brigade CDU.

The fact that there might be Billionaires involved rather than Benefit Claiments is immaterial. In a Democratic vote for a National Executive ALL candidates should have an equal opportunity to be voted in. In this case, however, the vote is rigged in favour of a group that is acceptable to the Executive. They've obviously have taken note of how Putin organises his elections for President.
The fact that you cannot see that a Rigged Voting System is not democratic says it all.
The fact that the organisation has the title of National Trust means it should be open to all especially its " National " Executive and the fact that you object to people standing for the Executive who might not share your views or the rest of the Executive says it all.

I don't give a stuff how much money anyone has. All I care for is that they are working in the interests of the trust in holding it to it's mandate and everything I have seen so far suggests they are. I also welcome that for as I said earlier seeing some of the arguments that some of the past members of the executive have involved themselves in suggest to me that the interests they have are more to do with protecting "non-endangered wildlife species" *** at the expense of ancient woodland and supporting out of town "Special interest groups" *** at the expense of farmers trying to make a living.

*** = deliberate avoidance of the "minority" word as it appears to spark outrage with accusations that I have no idea what diversity is.

I don't think I am trying to provoke you Andy. I was merely trying to get to the nub of why two reasonable, rational people have differing views after sharing our truths.

I got the impression that you are of the opinion that the NT has gone off mission and that RT will put them straight. I have no doubt that they will, I also have no doubt that Billionaires will not stop until they have total control. That Billionaires do not care about you Andy, they will say whatever they need to say, to pander to those who may just give them the power they crave. Trust them if you must.

Oh, and the hate you have for The Children’s Country House at Sudbury is sad. What a wonderful place, I'll take the grandkids there one day, it looks brilliant, only up the road too.What a great way to raise money to pay for the upkeep of our heritage, whilst soaking young ones in it. Sudbury isn't a Chatsworth, it's not that impressive, I imagine that if you look at its stats, it wasn't paying for its upkeep. I would be willing to place a bet that these board members have turned all of that around and that it is much more financially viable now it is a children's centre. That's good preservation, that will be removed by the RT as it's a bit too woke!!! nuts!

@WelshGas , @GrannyJen
You really should care about Billionaires. They own our sources of truth, radio, tv stations, newspapers, social media sites, they manipulate populations to make decisions that benefit their goals. They have us hating migrants, hating LGBTQ folk , loving Europe but Hating the EU, despising trans folk. To believe that they are just average joes getting on with their lives is naive in the extreme.

That said, there's nothing we can really do about them, they have the power. Gosh! that's conspiracy level stuff there.

Last edited:
Please. This thread is about the NT. Just keep your comments within that context.
Please. This thread is about

ARE NATIONAL TRUST CAMPSITES FREE TO MEMBERS​

. Just keep your comments within that context.

"I don't give a stuff how much money anyone has. All I care for is that they are working in the interests of the trust in holding it to its mandate and everything I have seen so far suggests they are. " Granny Jen

Please. This thread is about

ARE NATIONAL TRUST CAMPSITES FREE TO MEMBERS​

. Just keep your comments within that context.

"I don't give a stuff how much money anyone has. All I care for is that they are working in the interests of the trust in holding it to its mandate and everything I have seen so far suggests they are. " Granny Jen

Exactly. Now try to follow my example.

I wonder why. A few inconsiderate numpties ruined it for the many?
I didn’t see anyone being inconsiderate in that car park and the guy didn’t mention that issue either. I think it’s more about maintaining revenues of NT campsites. £10 for a carpark compared to £25 for a campsite (£50 at the weekend where you have to book for a minimum of two nights).

I think there’s a world of difference between turning a blind eye to considerate overnight camping and seemingly encouraging it by charging for it. I suspect someone further up the chain decided to crack down on it.

Excellent result this morning, all five boards members re-elected.

With the far right making fools of themselves in London today it’s great to see their enablers getting stuffed too.

Now the board can get on with giving discount camping to members perhaps.

Last edited:
You don’t need to visit many NT properties to make membership worthwhile.
I agree about membership costs.
Waddesdon Manor is near us and has lots of events through the year. Visiting there repays our NT membership cost and some. We also check out NT properties near to where we’re going in the van and have now visited many across the country. Cragside was a recent one and a gem.

Last edited:
Yes there is, your membership contributes to all sorts of things - buying rainbow lanyards for staff & public shaming of people who happen to be descendants of slave owners. Latest row is about a country house in their ownership that burnt down, they won't rebuild it despite being given the circa £60m rebuild costs by the insurance company....

On the positive side there's a good few carparks that they own in Devon & Cornwall that are free for members.
Absolutely right. They have lost so many volunteers and paying members by trying to force their woke and minority rights agendas down everyone's throats, ours included. Sickening.

Absolutely right. They have lost so many volunteers and paying members by trying to force their woke and minority rights agendas down everyone's throats, ours included. Sickening.
The minute anyone lazily uses the word “woke” pejoratively, I switch off. Not worth my time arguing with them.

The minute anyone lazily uses the word “woke” pejoratively, I switch off. Not worth my time arguing with them.
Any Democratic Organisation should be cognisant of the views of its members, employees and customer base.

I agree about membership costs.
Waddesdon Manor is near us and has lots of events through the year. Visiting there repays our NT membership cost and some. We also check out NT properties near to where we’re going in the van and have now visited many across the country. Crags was a recent one and a gem.

Waddesdon is a beautiful house. One of my favourites. I love the Christmas market too…

National Trust membership has increased by over 50% in the last ten years. August 2021 saw a record number of sign ups.

Over 76% of members polled backed the NT to give more background history on their properties.

Unfortunately no polling was carried out regarding discount for members camping.

Hope this helps.

Which is why they have an AGM and members are able to vote for council members. And all five were re-elected.

Seems this democratic organisation is working.
Very Democratic voting system. Putin uses the same system.

1 button to vote for All candidates endorsed by the Executive.

Jump through hoops to vote for anyone else.

If you really believe that is Democratic then there is no hope.

National Trust membership has increased by over 50% in the last ten years. August 2021 saw a record number of sign ups.

Over 76% of members polled backed the NT to give more background history on their properties.

Unfortunately no polling was carried out regarding discount for members camping.

Hope this helps.
Totally agree that membership should get you a discount for camping. Although free parking pays for my membership many times over. Perhaps there should be a two tier membership scheme where paying more does get you a camping discount.

Very Democratic voting system. Putin uses the same system.

1 button to vote for All candidates endorsed by the Executive.

Jump through hoops to vote for anyone else.

If you really believe that is Democratic then there is no hope.
While I don’t agree with the quick vote option, I think it’s disingenuous to suggest you “have to jump through hoops” to vote in any other way. Unfortunately the resolution to abandon the quick vote option was not carried.

Like all "sweet and nice" organisations it ends up being stuffed full of cronies thinking good deeds and being terribly understanding to whingeing minorities.

However I first supported them when they saved most of the Cornish coast from being fenced off and helped make possible that truly remarkable trail, the South West Coastpath, one of the top ten trails in the world. For that alone they will always get my support.

Part of their problem is that other terribly sweet and nice people thinking good deeds leave them legacies of listed crumbling piles that cost a fortune to repair and maintain. Perhaps why they trousered the insurance cash rather than rebuild the now smouldering crumbling pile.
Where did you learn to write? Love it, informative, interesting & irreverent.

Potent mix!

Where did you learn to write? Love it, informative, interesting & irreverent.

Potent mix!

Sadly no one taught me to write, quite the opposite. My grasp of English grammar was severely curtailed by a serious lack of formal education in my secondary school years. Why I can be sometimes extremely hostile to irksome "grammar police" that can crop up on social media.

Ironically though writing became the second, and most lucrative, of my three careers when illness forced my retirement from the first career, that of Finance director of a rapidly emerging company just prior to it's stock market flotation.

With recovery in sight I started to indulge my love of history by visiting places of historical interest and when I discovered a dearth of literature relating to places that intrigued me the most I started writing my own, also forming my own tour company to take me off to such exotic places, if you can call the midwest of the USA exotic. Well, I suppose it is, in some grim form or other.:cool:

Back