Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are there any auto electricians on this forum?

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I posted part of this question in another (old) thread but realise it is probably better to lay things out fully here. Hope that I am following forum rules.
I am looking to extend the autonomy of our Beach by making some changes to the battery configuration and have a few questions:

Current config:
2016 T6 Beach.
Original leisure battery under passenger seat being charged by Victron 75/15 MPPT controller (located under Driver’s seat) driven from a flexible solar panel.
  • Has anyone successfully installed a 2nd AGM battery under the driver’s seat - if so what size and is it fine to put it on its side? What fixings?
  • What is the largest Ah battery that can fit in the original location?
  • As long as they are both AGM, can two different Ah capacity batteries be charged by the same MPPT controller (in parallel)? I know that dissimilar battery chemistries can't be charged together).
There is a really useful pac-man tunnel connecting the areas under the two seats with an unused channel through the section between the seats which makes all this easier.

Any help very much appreciated.

I posted part of this question in another (old) thread but realise it is probably better to lay things out fully here. Hope that I am following forum rules.
I am looking to extend the autonomy of our Beach by making some changes to the battery configuration and have a few questions:

Current config:
2016 T6 Beach.
Original leisure battery under passenger seat being charged by Victron 75/15 MPPT controller (located under Driver’s seat) driven from a flexible solar panel.
  • Has anyone successfully installed a 2nd AGM battery under the driver’s seat - if so what size and is it fine to put it on its side? What fixings?
  • What is the largest Ah battery that can fit in the original location?
  • As long as they are both AGM, can two different Ah capacity batteries be charged by the same MPPT controller (in parallel)? I know that dissimilar battery chemistries can't be charged together).
There is a really useful pac-man tunnel connecting the areas under the two seats with an unused channel through the section between the seats which makes all this easier.

Any help very much appreciated.
Normally if 2 batteries are to be wired in parallel then they should be the same type and same amps. Your MPPT controller is fine.
I think you will find more information on the T4/T5 forum

Also a chap on that forum called Travelvolts has a business doing conversion electrics and is very helpful.

Thank you. That is really helpful. A related question is when fitting a DC-DC to replace the relay whether this can be combined with an MPPT controller or best kept separate with both charing the battery array in parallel. perhaps one for Travelvolts...

Thank you. That is really helpful. A related question is when fitting a DC-DC to replace the relay whether this can be combined with an MPPT controller or best kept separate with both charing the battery array in parallel. perhaps one for Travelvolts...
I'm not sure there is such a combined unit.

It looks like there are some but not by Victron and I would like to stick the their stuff if possible. I think i will go with a separate dc-dc and try to fit a second AGM under the drivers seat. - Just not sure regarding capacity, orientation and fixings.

It looks like there are some but not by Victron and I would like to stick the their stuff if possible. I think i will go with a separate dc-dc and try to fit a second AGM under the drivers seat. - Just not sure regarding capacity, orientation and fixings.
If you can get one in there it is going to be tight and once the seat is replaced I very much doubt it would be going anywhere.
Ideally both batteries should be same type, amps and same age for maximum longevity.
Only the +tve cable needs to go to the other battery the - tve cable can go the other battery or to a good chassis earth point. On the Ocean there is a 50 amp cube fuse on the +tve terminal of the 2nd Leisure Battery and remember the batteries are wired in parallel Not series.

Back