Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are vans being searched/checked for food at Eurotunnel before entering France?

M

Mrs Acer

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does anyone know if the vans are being searched or you are being questioned about food at the Eurotunnel? I'm guessing that if this is happening, then there will be a lot of delays in the summer! I'm just trying to plan what food to take if anything at all. It's not a huge problem as we've got a supermarket in mind for when we arrive at our aires for the first night but it would be nice to know what is actually going on so that I could take some bits (tea, milk, sandwiches etc for the journey).

My experience in April,

no checks either way, just make sure that everything you take is for personal consumption and you do not try to bring anything that can be “grown” seeds etc. The worst than can happen is that you have to bin it

I’ve been over via Eurotunnel twice in the past few months, all they were interested in was whether the gas was off or if we had a stowaway on board. But as a precaution we only had minimal stuff in the fridges in case there were any objections.

I have used the euro tunnel twice in the last few months and have had no problems at all as Cwcltd says they are mostly interested in who is travelling. No problem with food for own consumption.
I also think it depends on the guy on duty that day, as some might be more curious in what you are carrying. Generally, I think they are just interested in commercial quantities. I did not take any milk produce just in case except chocolate of course.
when we crossed over w e stopped on a Inter marche and bought some milk.
I’ve been over via Eurotunnel twice in the past few months, all they were interested in was whether the gas was off or if we had a stowaway on board. But as a precaution we only had minimal stuff in the fridges in case there were any objections.
Does anyone know if the vans are being searched or you are being questioned about food at the Eurotunnel? I'm guessing that if this is happening, then there will be a lot of delays in the summer! I'm just trying to plan what food to take if anything at all. It's not a huge problem as we've got a supermarket in mind for when we arrive at our aires for the first night but it would be nice to know what is actually going on so that I could take some bits (tea, milk, sandwiches etc for the journey).

We travelled to France on the 4th, no questions/search about food. But were pulled in to check the gas was off and disconnected...

I’ve used tunnel 4 times in the last 6 months. Never been checked for food.

Sometimes interested in gas - I.e whether the gas system is isolated. As it’s a beach I just show them the closed EN417 cylinders……

Same as above. Tested that the gas was off, no other checks.

Been over twice this year. Both times, no checks.
To be honest, I’m sure they have bigger things to worry about, but at some point someone might loose a few bags of Haribo…

I've been over twice this spring with the seats removed and beach loaded to ceiling with furniture and miscellaneous stuff for our apartment. Got asked about gas once and that was it. Don't worry about it, queues have got much worse at peak times though with all the passport stamping etc etc......

Sorry if this has been covered before, does “gas off” mean the tap in the kitchen cupboard or disconnected at the cylinder? We are going to France by ferry in the summer so would be good to know.

Mine was checked coming back only did not check if tap was off just that it had compliant stowing

Sorry if this has been covered before, does “gas off” mean the tap in the kitchen cupboard or disconnected at the cylinder? We are going to France by ferry in the summer so would be good to know.
tap off, no need to disconnect from cylinder.

Twice in last few months through Eurotunnel. Asked about gas both times. Checked on first, bikes on back for second time and so they decided too difficult. Swab of driver area (steering wheel, handles etc) both times, no further checks.

We went at Easter then again at half term. Asked about gas on all four crossings.

We have a Beach and carry two 907 cylinders in a fire resistant fibreglass box. They are stowed in the most inaccessible part of the boot and fully disconnected.

To save the trouble of explaining this each and every time I have photographed the gas bottles in the box and the closed box.

We went to France on the ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo a couple of weeks ago and there were no fridge checks. They looked at passports and didn't even check our vaccination passes. On the way back on the Tunnel there were only passport checks and the lady was going to check the gas, but I said it would take a while as we had bikes on, so she just made sure it was turned off at the hob.

Hi just came back from europe and nothing was checked except gas turned off - have a good trip

Just returned via chunnel - a cursory gas check - at the hob - on going over. No checks other than passports coming back.

We saw it once for 1.91/litre, but it was generally over 2 euros and not unusual to see it for 2.2. It felt plenty expensive, but what is it in UK now? We’re literally just back and on the M25 - not filled up in uk yet

Paying £1.89 in North Wales / Chester area at the moment. Costco cheapest around here.

The French government is subsidizing petrol and diesel with 15 euro cents a gallon, from June 1st.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Travel to France on 16th June, Thursday, no checks just asked if we were carrying gas, no further questions re vaccinations. Must say it’s rather hot!

69A0A519-CBC3-4CCE-B34B-C0CC59CB72A7.jpeg

Traveled to France in May. No checks, just asked if the gas was disconnected. I even saw them give some milk to the people in front so they could make a cuppa in the queue! How very British

Paying £1.89 in North Wales / Chester area at the moment. Costco cheapest around here.
The Costco in Bristol has quite a lot of vehicles queuing for the pumps as it’s the cheapest fuel around. I've been told that they are having up to three deliveries a day.

Back