Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Are We Mad??

Tracey2540

Tracey2540

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi, We are just about to put an order in for our first Cali and this forum has been amazing with the advice. We’ve decided to throw caution to the wind and go for a 199bhp Ocean in Bay Leaf Green & White even though I said I’d never have a green vehicle!‍. Our extras are:-
Shower Connection, mainly for the dog,
Discover Media Pro,
Towbar as we will occasionally be towing our caravan with it.
Chrome Pack
18” Wheels
Comfort Mattress
Storage Pack
Power Sliding Door

We are unsure about the larger fuel tank and the bigger alternator & battery and would love some advice please.
Also is there anything we have missed that you think we should have. This is going to be my main vehicle as well so want to get it right

Very Very excited

Last edited:

Sounds amazing! We ordered ours last week with a similar spec. Personally, I would go for the 80l tank for what it costs (we did). It’s just a few less trips to the filling station and for me it was worth it for that.
it is exciting. Shame we have to contain that for many months whilst the van is built, but I’m sure the wait will be worth it

Hi, We are just about to put an order in for our first Cali and this forum has been amazing with the advice. We’ve decided to throw caution to the wind and go for a 199bhp Ocean in Bay Leaf Green & White even though I said I’d never have a green vehicle!‍♀. Our extras are:-
Discover Media Pro,
Chrome Pack
18” Wheels
Comfort Mattress
Storage Pack
Power Sliding Door

We are unsure about the larger fuel tank and the bigger alternator & battery and would love some advice please.
Also is there anything we have missed that you think we should have. This is going to be my main vehicle as well so want to get it right

Very Very excited
Larger fuel tank and alternator. Skip the Power side door. Members have had problems with it.

I agree re the door. We have one on our car. It doesn’t work on the cold winter mornings and we had to have it repaired once under warranty. Problem with them is that if they don’t work you cannot open the door manually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. I've just placed my order. Would have loved a two-tone but the Mrs over-ruled me

I was tempted by the powered door until I watched this video - and then didn't really see the point - the Ocean has a latching action which means it doesn't need a slam like the Coast

Is the reversing camera now standard fit? otherwise I would add it.

re the towbar, do you have option of removeable or fixed? We have found that other drivers respect the fact they can see a fixed towbar and tend to give you some clearance when parked up.

Have a read up on the tyres.

The standard fit 'summer' tyres are not that good in wet/mud situations. Many are opting for all seasons tyres now.

We also run a set of full winter steel wheels and winter snowflake tyres; switching over end Oct and end March.

Hi, We are just about to put an order in for our first Cali and this forum has been amazing with the advice. We’ve decided to throw caution to the wind and go for a 199bhp Ocean in Bay Leaf Green & White even though I said I’d never have a green vehicle!‍♀. Our extras are:-
Discover Media Pro,
Chrome Pack
18” Wheels
Comfort Mattress
Storage Pack
Power Sliding Door

Very Very excited

Ditto the extra large tank. Wish we had!

Weve got the power sliding door and although useful at times to open remotely I have a fear that over time and countless opening / closing itll be the first thing to go wrong. (It plays havoc with my ocd :D) Damn heavy to open too if set to manual opening /closing. Thats not forgetting to mention the beeping noise when it closes too.

Bar my 2pence worth. It sounds a lovely motor!! :)

Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming order.

We have opted for the detachable Towbar as we have one on our current vehicle.

Because we have upgraded to 18” wheels we cannot upgrade the tyres so it looks like we will have to buy some new one ☹️

Ditto the extra large tank. Wish we had!

Weve got the power sliding door and although useful at times to open remotely I have a fear that over time and countless opening / closing itll be the first thing to go wrong. (It plays havoc with my ocd :D) Damn heavy to open too if set to manual opening /closing. Thats not forgetting to mention the beeping noise when it closes too.

Bar my 2pence worth. It sounds a lovely motor!! :)
Thanks, I see you have the 4motion, do you think its worth the extra ?? All these options o_O

Welcome. I've just placed my order. Would have loved a two-tone but the Mrs over-ruled me

I was tempted by the powered door until I watched this video - and then didn't really see the point - the Ocean has a latching action which means it doesn't need a slam like the Coast

I ordered this Scoots, the van will be our only vehicle and I was working on the rationale I will be approaching the van armed with the big shop in my arms. It is raining, press the button and lob the shopping in. :)

Sounds good, I’d agree with others and avoid power sliding door.

18" wheels means no spare wheel.
If 18" wheels are Diamond cut then expect corrosion fairly rapidly.

I'd have the standard 17" wheels then go for a quality winter rated paint finish set of 18" wheels with all season tyres fitted. Sell the 17" wheels for £500>600 and keep the spare. Could be cheaper or no cost difference.

18" wheels means no spare wheel.
If 18" wheels are Diamond cut then expect corrosion fairly rapidly.

I'd have the standard 17" wheels then go for a quality winter rated paint finish set of 18" wheels with all season tyres fitted. Sell the 17" wheels for £500>600 and keep the spare. Could be cheaper or no cost difference.
Just changed the wheels to 17” Woodstock and will get a set of 18” once we get delivery. Thanks for the advise, its really appreciated :)

Sound fantastic. I agree with the above on the larger fuel tank, especially when it’s recommended not to go below a quarter of a tank before refuelling.

Thanks, I see you have the 4motion, do you think its worth the extra ?? All these options o_O
Lol. Its a lovely problem to have. ;):D.

As many have said, its a nice to have and brings (to me anyway) a sort of peace of mind knowing its there. We dont do high mileage so slightly lower mpg doesnt worry.

If youre in a position to tick the box, i certainly would and did :p

I would guess that depends Tracey where you intend to camp? If you are only going to club or hardstanding sites then I wouldn't buy it, I haven't. But if you intend to wild camp or use farmers fields then it may be worth it.

A site we used in our Moho regularly was a couple of fairly level grassed farmers fields and I must admit when wet caused a bit of wheel spin. When get the Cali I will stick to the usual pitch area close to the access track. A trick we used in the forces should we get wheel spin was put sheet of hessian under the wheels, I don't intend carrying hessian.:)

Hi. I see the video example above from campers.eu showing the sliding doors. Has anyone any experience of buying from them?? Particularly from the UK?

We have it and with all weather tyres it’s superb. Also drives much better than our previous 2wd Cali.

I agree re the door. We have one on our car. It doesn’t work on the cold winter mornings and we had to have it repaired once under warranty. Problem with them is that if they don’t work you cannot open the door manually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Open the driver's door and lean in and after a couple of goes on the interal of the sliding door it opens.

Someone posted on here how to remove the power aspect - removing panels and cutting cables. But overall I like it, especially when it is raining or you have your arms full.

Discover Media Pro,
Chrome Pack
18” Wheels
Comfort Mattress
Storage Pack
Power Sliding Door

Very Very excited
Sounds like the exact same spec as ours, engine colour, etc, we went for the larger tank and the standard 17 Davenport wheels, will see if we change them in time for different tyres and wheel size, not that impressed with wheel choice. Pick our T6.1 up first weekend in September and VERY excited, our first California. Hopefully you will not have to wait as long as we have, over 6 months

Back