Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ask for opinions cracking sound

calibusje

calibusje

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
After my tread about our review after 3 months https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-bit-long-but-honest-and-personal-review-of-our-coast.45819/, the following:
As some might have read, I am not really happy with the quality impression of our new California. Don't get me wrong, it's a super campervan and everything we expected from it and more. It drives and brakes very well and what I don't like is my own fault (front lights; ordered no LEDs on our coast... Luckily I still have fog lights).
This mainly cares about the rattles and squeaks and creaks. This is huge. I understand the noises inherent in the concept that it is a campervan and therefore a converted transporter. I have already been able to solve a few with simple interventions (localization is a lot more difficult). But it's the other sounds that don't leave a good impression: squeaking from the front seat (first the driver's seat and later also the other one). The dealer tried to solve this several times, but actually spraying a bottle of silicone spray has solved the squeaking and cracking. I'm happy for that.
Now I have for over a month a creaking at the windshield at the bottom right (cali 3 months in our possession and bought new). Sometimes severe, sometimes less and sometimes (rarely) not. So strange. Yesterday we had a reasonable temperature drop here in the evening and the air conditioning was at 20.5 degrees celcius and it was 18 degrees outside... and all the way back from work to my home: no crackling. Now I suspect it has to do with the air conditioning. Maybe this one makes the windshield (or something else but it really sounds like glass creaking and ready to shatter) shrink due to the extreme cold going through a tube (maybe even incorrectly mounted). My question: does anyone else have this? And if so, does it bother you too and what did you do about it or will you do about it?
TIA
Greetings
Calibusje

Just a picture to show I am still proud with our new cali.
IMG_0847.JPG
circuit Reims-Gueux, France https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims-Gueux

Last edited:
Does the creaking stop / reduce if you put a hand on the dash and press down ? (Obviously you will need your passenger to do that for you ;))

Do you have the A/c on most of the time ?
are the Dash controls set to direct air to the windscreen only ?

Does the creaking stop / reduce if you put a hand on the dash and press down ? (Obviously you will need your passenger to do that for you ;))

Do you have the A/c on most of the time ?
are the Dash controls set to direct air to the windscreen only ?
Good thinking, thank you. The air conditioning is on automatic all the time (since delivery) and therefore not only directed to the front window. We had the creaking every day during our past trip (18 days France with sometimes extremely high temperatures). Then my wife pressed her hand on the dashboard and it made no difference: the creaking remained the same.

Have you tried resetting the a/c motor limits ?

simple process of pressing a few buttons in the correct order (search should throw it up, myself or @GrumpyGranddad have posted the link to a short vid previously there may be other but that may help narrow your search)

Edit : try switching the A/c so it does not vent to the windscreen (see if that makes a difference)

simple process of pressing a few buttons in the correct order (search should throw it up, myself or @GrumpyGranddad have posted the link to a short vid previously there may be other but that may help narrow your search)

Edit : try switching the A/c so it does not vent to the windscreen (see if that makes a difference)
thank you, found the vid and will try it out.

I did the reset (although it is a different layout of buttons, they stay the same and a reset could be done). Unfortunately it didn’t help but was definitely worth trying, so thanks again.
Just now, after a drive with the airconditioning on, I opened the bonnet and could hear the crackling but not to be located. Not yet, I hope it get solved. It’s annoying and if it is the windscreen crackling, it could be potentially dangerous.

For what my thoughts are worth; from what I read the front windscreen is not mounted properly. Secondly, I would not try anything myself to fix it, your Cali is only 3 or 4 months old! Drive to the dealer, take a mechanic with you during test drive and explain your complaint. They should fix it! It is definitely not normal that a Cali has cracking sounds whatsoever! I have a third one (after T5 Beach, T5 Comfortline and now T6 Ocean all new purchased) and never heard anything.

For what my thoughts are worth; from what I read the front windscreen is not mounted properly. Secondly, I would not try anything myself to fix it, your Cali is only 3 or 4 months old! Drive to the dealer, take a mechanic with you during test drive and explain your complaint. They should fix it! It is definitely not normal that a Cali has cracking sounds whatsoever! I have a third one (after T5 Beach, T5 Comfortline and now T6 Ocean all new purchased) and never heard anything.
Thank you for your valuable input; I noticed I still have my earlier made appointment for the squeaking and creaking of the front seats, but this has been resolved with a lot of silicone spray to use. So, I'm going to the dealer on Friday and I am indeed going to take someone from the workshop and turn on the air conditioning so that they can hear the crackling. After the ride also open the hood so that they also hear the crackling there.
I hope they can fix it because it is annoying and takes away enjoyment when driving (with the air con on).

I would try to make a couple of videos showing the problem you have, just in case it magically won’t manifest in front of the mechanic. I had a failed double glazed rear window, booked an appointment and drove 50 miles to the dealer for it to have completely cleared on the trip.

True, made an audio recording; will make more. Thanks for thinking along.

Hello; a short follow up regarding the creaking sound at the windshield: after already twice been inside the dealer: first time a piece of plastic cover under de hood fixed by them with malleable rubber; second time they removed the right windscreen trim and put it back with extra padding. Result: the annoying nasty creaking sound is even more present o_O Yesterday after work stopped at the dealer and asked someone from the workshop for a ride. He has clearly heard the noise and our 4 month old Cali goes back to the dealer for the umpteenth time and now for a week (week 38). The dashboard probably needs to come out. I’m glad they are willing to help and I hope it gets resolved this time and then our coast will normally give the satisfaction I expect from it.

The Porsche 993 had a similar problem with creaking sounds from the windscreen gasket and was not that uncommon. The solution that the factory implemented was to pack 'rope' into the windscreen and rubber seal interface. Might be worth spraying silicon under the gasket along its entire length. This might not be your problem but perhaps something worth exploring
Could try the below as packs tightly into the gap, also stops parking tickets from dropping into the void:

For those who are still interested or know what this is all about ;) , a follow up: after a week at another department of the dealer it seems that they have solved it. To know if it's final, I'll have to keep them posted.
So, I picked up our coast on Wednesday (a few days ago) and already made many wonderful short -and one longer- rides: without annoying creaking noise around (at the top of) the windscreen :thumb

What did they do? Well, let me first mention that - also with ideas coming from this forum - I did hours of research and searched also on German forums. Finally simply by translating the words 'cracking windshield Transporter' into German, google came up with a link to a video on YouTube with identically the same crackling. I closed my eyes, it was just like in our coast. Now it comes: there was also a solution and I passed it on to the dealer. They still were suspicious (as if I knew and they didn't) but they put their best mechanic on it and after a ride he determined and recorded the creaking. This was forwarded to the warranty service of the importer (I think) and the day after I went to have a look: the entire front roof covering was gone and you could see the guide pins and other bolts. It looked weird; Whatever they did, I longed for a solution. Anyway Wednesday I was allowed to pick him up with a filled up roof spoiler. The matter they injected in it prevents the pins (and bolts) from scraping into the pre-drilled holes in the piece of fixed body roof or against this piece. You can't imagine how I hope this is the final solution.
Greetings
Calibusje

Ps: I bought a dashboard rubber filler trim.

Last edited:
For those who are still interested or know what this is all about ;) , a follow up: after a week at another department of the dealer it seems that they have solved it. To know if it's final, I'll have to keep them posted.
So, I picked up our coast on Wednesday (a few days ago) and already made many wonderful short -and one longer- rides: without annoying creaking noise around (at the top of) the windscreen :thumb

What did they do? Well, let me first mention that - also with ideas coming from this forum - I did hours of research and searched also on German forums. Finally simply by translating the words 'cracking windshield Transporter' into German, google came up with a link to a video on YouTube with identically the same crackling. I closed my eyes, it was just like in our coast. Now it comes: there was also a solution and I passed it on to the dealer. They still were suspicious (as if I knew and they didn't) but they put their best mechanic on it and after a ride he determined and recorded the creaking. This was forwarded to the warranty service of the importer (I think) and the day after I went to have a look: the entire front roof covering was gone and you could see the guide pins and other bolts. It looked weird; Whatever they did, I longed for a solution. Anyway Wednesday I was allowed to pick him up with a filled up roof spoiler. The matter they injected in it prevents the pins (and bolts) from scraping into the pre-drilled holes in the piece of fixed body roof or against this piece. You can't imagine how I hope this is the final solution.
Greetings
Calibusje

Congratulations! I can relate to how annoying these small things can be and happy that this is now sorted for you.

I am however struggling to visualise the part where they put the filler. Any chance of a pic please?

Congratulations! I can relate to how annoying these small things can be and happy that this is now sorted for you.

I am however struggling to visualise the part where they put the filler. Any chance of a pic please?
Thanks! Although it wasn’t a small thing for me but a rather loud almost constant crackling sound, mostly just above the windscreen ;) I've been thinking about selling it…:rolleyes:
A picture isn’t possible anymore because everything is put together again. I try to visualise: All the inner lining of the roof in front and left and right of the space with the roller shutter had been stripped down to the bare metal (and hard plastic pieces too). The part of the original roof (which is not cut away, so in the front above the windscreen) has holes and pins: guide pins and bolts. These make a scraping noise against the roof and the plastic pieces. So basically it’s the contact between the roof module and the van, that wasn’t completely correct mounted; may have to do with too much or too little glue (also glued). How they filled it: I'm assuming they filled all the holes and made sure no pins could scrape any more.

Last edited:

Greetings
Calibusje

Great. I’m glad. It seems unfair to get something new that you’re unhappy with.

After reading about Welshgas tightening his cupboards, I think I’m going to have a go at that. My van is 14 years old but you can still fix things. You inspired me.

I liked the German translation tale.

Great. I’m glad. It seems unfair to get something new that you’re unhappy with.

After reading about Welshgas tightening his cupboards, I think I’m going to have a go at that. My van is 14 years old but you can still fix things. You inspired me.

I liked the German translation tale.
Thank you! Indeed, I was super excited after 20 months of waiting, and in between having delivered one in the wrong colour, to completely not happy with our california. No ride was fun anymore. It’s a pleasure that I can now experience again after 6 months and more than 11000 kilometers what a fun these vehicles are to drive with. I hope it stays this way.
In the past six months I have also solved some other rattles here and there; rattles typical of the concept of cupboards in a van ;) Felt with an adhesive side and cork is your best friend for such things. Our previous campervan, a 31 year old T4 westfalia california, was about rattle free after 10 years :D
Greetings
Calibusje

Last edited:
Thanks! Although it wasn’t a small thing for me but a rather loud almost constant crackling sound, mostly just above the windscreen ;) I've been thinking about selling it…:rolleyes:
A picture isn’t possible anymore because everything is put together again. I try to visualise: All the inner lining of the roof in front and left and right of the space with the roller shutter had been stripped down to the bare metal (and hard plastic pieces too). The part of the original roof (which is not cut away, so in the front above the windscreen) has holes and pins: guide pins and bolts. These make a scraping noise against the roof and the plastic pieces. So basically it’s the contact between the roof module and the van, that wasn’t completely correct mounted; may have to do with too much or too little glue (also glued). How they filled it: I'm assuming they filled all the holes and made sure no pins could scrape any more.
My apologies for mentioning it as a small thing. It was used as a general figure of speech. I know that you had also considered selling the van and it was a major annoyance.

Thank you for the explanation. I can now visualise it. Interesting.

My apologies for mentioning it as a small thing. It was used as a general figure of speech. I know that you had also considered selling the van and it was a major annoyance.

Thank you for the explanation. I can now visualise it. Interesting.
No need to apologize. I am happy with the understanding. I'll keep an eye on it and hope it stays that way: pleasant rides without the annoying crackling. If there are others (I already know of some in Germany and maybe one in Belgium) with the same sound, I’ll hope they will benefit from my explanation.

After my tread about our review after 3 months https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/a-bit-long-but-honest-and-personal-review-of-our-coast.45819/, the following:
As some might have read, I am not really happy with the quality impression of our new California. Don't get me wrong, it's a super campervan and everything we expected from it and more. It drives and brakes very well and what I don't like is my own fault (front lights; ordered no LEDs on our coast... Luckily I still have fog lights).
This mainly cares about the rattles and squeaks and creaks. This is huge. I understand the noises inherent in the concept that it is a campervan and therefore a converted transporter. I have already been able to solve a few with simple interventions (localization is a lot more difficult). But it's the other sounds that don't leave a good impression: squeaking from the front seat (first the driver's seat and later also the other one). The dealer tried to solve this several times, but actually spraying a bottle of silicone spray has solved the squeaking and cracking. I'm happy for that.
Now I have for over a month a creaking at the windshield at the bottom right (cali 3 months in our possession and bought new). Sometimes severe, sometimes less and sometimes (rarely) not. So strange. Yesterday we had a reasonable temperature drop here in the evening and the air conditioning was at 20.5 degrees celcius and it was 18 degrees outside... and all the way back from work to my home: no crackling. Now I suspect it has to do with the air conditioning. Maybe this one makes the windshield (or something else but it really sounds like glass creaking and ready to shatter) shrink due to the extreme cold going through a tube (maybe even incorrectly mounted). My question: does anyone else have this? And if so, does it bother you too and what did you do about it or will you do about it?
TIA
Greetings
Calibusje

Just a picture to show I am still proud with our new cali.
View attachment 97311
circuit Reims-Gueux, France https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims-Gueux
Calibusje . Couldn't be to do with weight cantilevered off the rear door could it ? Can’t say it’s ever been a problem .

Calibusje . Couldn't be to do with weight cantilevered off the rear door could it ? Can’t say it’s ever been a problem .
Thanks for thinking along; it seems that they have solved it. To know if it's final, I'll have to keep them posted. (See post #14)
Greetings

The pins (and bolts) from the roofspoiler scraping into the pre-drilled holes in the piece of fixed body roof or against this piece. Well, apparently this is a slightly more common issue than one would think: at Volkswagen Campercentrum Amersfoort in the Netherlands they know about it and say the following: for a temporary solution spray with WD 40 in the right place under that spoiler, but between the bolts of the spoiler a plastic nut plate, and it is solved forever. Or what our dealer did with ours: spray something in the roof spoiler (other than wd40).
You get to hear such things on a technical afternoon at CC Amersfoort, someone told me. I'm normally going for such an afternoon in February of 2023 and I'm very curious about their other knowledge.
After my dealer's fix, I can still enjoy the daily rides with our cali.

Last edited:
Back