Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Atera Evo bike rack and T6 Ocean

I need to come back to this thread.
My father's T6 with original fixed towbar doesn't have the clearance to open the tailgate too. But just by an inch. When there is 1 bike mounted, the tailgate can be opened.
My T5.1 has no trouble opening the tailgate, even without a bike mounted to it.

I need to come back to this thread.
My father's T6 with original fixed towbar doesn't have the clearance to open the tailgate too. But just by an inch. When there is 1 bike mounted, the tailgate can be opened.
My T5.1 has no trouble opening the tailgate, even without a bike mounted to it.
Interesting, I have subsequently found on my T6 Ocean that I can just open the tailgate when 2 E Bikes are on my Evo 3 - it does require the rear upright to be moved a wee bit but it is easily done. Without bikes mounted simply move the rear upright forward.

Tom

Mine opens without bike installed. Just have to watch out for the handlebars if the only bike is put on the closest rail. When put in the middle rail then there is no way I can't open my tailgate without looking.
Strange, because they all share the same platform, but the T6 has a different bootlid, so maybe that is the "problem"?

Little update!!!

I measured the distance from the tailgate and the center of my towbar: 17,5 cm (I think it was)
the edge of the rear bumper to the center of my towbar: 8,5 cm
I measured the distance from the tailgate and the center of my dad's T6 towbar: 17 cm
the edge of the rear bumper to the center of my dad's towbar: 8 cm

This change in design of the tailgate, and thus the rear bumper: just not enough clearance with the Atera.

Which is annoying as in every other way the Evo is a better rack, plus not all my bikes will fit on the DL as as the wheelbase is too long.....
Think I've exhausted all other options from Thule etc, choice is a rack that clears the boot but doesn't fit all my bikes, or one that fits all the bikes but doesn't clear the tailgate.
You say you’ve tried all of the Thule options?
C9C23A96-C9C1-46CA-B129-EFCE9EDDB2BB.jpeg
This one works on the T6 with factory tow bar.

Should have got the Strada DL3.
Works no problem.

870A39CD-B4F6-4346-B042-B106E897DE74.jpeg

You say you’ve tried all of the Thule options?
View attachment 48282
This one works on the T6 with factory tow bar.
That's 3 bike, the Thule 4 bike racks won't clear.

Should have got the Strada DL3.
Works no problem.

View attachment 48287
Yes, it's been established already the DL definitely fits, but the Evo is a better rack in many other ways, and for those of us with long bikes or ebikes, the DL does not fit them, the Evo fits bigger and heavier bikes.

That's 3 bike, the Thule 4 bike racks won't clear.
Yes it’s the 3 bike version. I haven’t tried the 4th bike extension. It looks like, if a fourth bike was added, the bike would be touching the ground and limit the travel. This would stop the door from opening. Thanks for the heads up. 1BD80204-D341-4B57-A85D-D680CAF1384A.jpeg

Yes, it's been established already the DL definitely fits, but the Evo is a better rack in many other ways, and for those of us with long bikes or ebikes, the DL does not fit them, the Evo fits bigger and heavier bikes.

It’s not better if it doesn’t slide out the way of the tailgate...;)
Can you not remove the ebike batteries to reduce weight...?
DL3 should be fine upto 50kg

It’s not better if it doesn’t slide out the way of the tailgate...;)
Can you not remove the ebike batteries to reduce weight...?
DL3 should be fine upto 50kg
It does slide out the way with a gentle push, and is better in multiple other ways. Even with batteries off, 3 ebikes would be pushing the limit, 4 definitely over. From my perspective the wheelbase of neither of my MTBs fits on the DL (neither of them are particularly long by modern standards), and the extra distance between holders on the Evo means you can carry several bikes with wider Boost axles with no issues of clearance between bikes. The quick release removable arms are also a great feature on the Evo if you regularly carry different combinations of bikes.

Hey.

EXTENSION KIT STRADA DL 3 - Maximum load: 63 kg

I look for DL3 or Evo3 myself. Reads that someone buys evo instead of dl because of maximum weight. The difference is only 3 kilos. DL3 with extension kit, 63 kg. Evo3, 66 kg. So they can withstand almost as much. Or is it something I miss here? I think therefore the DL3 will be better if it slides further back to give better space. I have a T5 Cali. I will not use it for bicycles, but will rebuild it to fit a alu-plate that I can load stuff on.

I guess that the DL3 and Evo3 have the same frame and rails. Isn't it just the equipment on top that is different?

I would have thought that since the load capacity is almost the same??

Has anyone seen both to see if there is any difference in the main structure?

-Rune

Without 4th bike mount the DL limit is 45kg, so nearly 20kg lower

My point is that even if you attach the fourth mount, the stand will not be reinforced or stronger for that reason. Therefore, the stand must withstand 63 kg without the fourth mounting.

So I don't see why they put a maximum of 45kg without the fourth mount.? There is something strange here ??

I'm about to pull the trigger on the DL3 here (ill be using it for 4 bikes - max weight could be close to 60 kg) , and the only niggle is this weight discrepancy depending on whether you have 3 (45 kg max) or 4 bikes (63 kg max).

Like rumnos above, Im confused as to how the extra bar can increase the max load by 18 kg, but if that's the case then problem solved.

Regarding wheelbase length: according to roofbox.co.uk the max wheelbase is 120 cm, which is more than enough for my needs (im 6 foot tall with a long wheelbase touring bike, but it's still less than 120 cm).

Are people really finding the wheelbase length a problem, and if so, with what types of bikes?

PS This thread delivers! Breaks down all the minute issues of the evo versus the DL3. Thanks all.

Also bear in mind that if you have a Westfalia detachable tow bar there is a nose weight limit of 60Kgs when carrying unsupported load - eg platform bike racks.
this seems to often be ignored but is the limit specified by Westfalia.

My Atera Evo Bike rack fitted my T5 and the rear door could be opened once the rack had been slid back. The detachable tow bar was an after market one. My new T6 has the VW detachable tow bar and, on full rearward travel it does not allow the door to open, I have tried a number of times without success, the rack simply sits too high? Is there something I am doing wrong? The standard VW towbar is a Westfalia.
We have an after market fitted VW Westfailia tow bar and the Pro User Diament SG2 Plus bike rack with a tailgate T6. Bike rack tips with plenty of space to open the tail gate. Must get the Plus version as the plain SG2 does not work. Available from Holland Bike Shop.

I bought the Atera Strada DL3 since my last post. Drove 900 km with it and found it fantastic.
Easy to load, super sturdy, and little if any effect on handling.

I have the removable Westfailia tow bar: as others have commented, the rear door clears the rack (barely), and rotation of the handlebars of the bike nearest the vehicle is necessary to open the rear door when the rack is loaded. Havent used the VW rack for comparison, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the DL3.

+1 for DL3
d1f3774100d97eed20a6389a66dc30c5.jpg

I have to agree.
We use DL3 with 4th bike extension on a Westfalia detachable tow bar (haven't removed it yet!), we rarely remove the rack from the tow bar on a trip and store the bikes on it overnight.
The main point for me was access to the boot fully loaded on day trips and short overnight stays and the Atera allows for this.
I also wanted a low rack for loading and it's even easy enough to use for my 10 year old son to load the bikes safely.