Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Atera Strada DL2 and DL3

Swissian

Swissian

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So I see a lot of people recommending the DL3 over the DL2 because there are no problems for the boot to open, even if they only carry 2 bikes, but is there a mechanical difference between them? Is the slide out mechanism shorter, or does it tilt less?

Does anyone have a DL2 and could post a picture with bikes on and tilted for access to the boot?

I’m trying to decide as I’ve found a DL2 on offer but I’ve seen lots of contradicting comments/reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have got the Atera Genie Pro and the boot definitely opens just fine .. I think it’s a new one for Atera so might not be on your radar. I don’t have pictures unfortunately but it does allow the boot to open with or without bikes.

DL3 + 1:

The base of the DL2 is shorter, so the bike rack doesn't slide far enough from the van for the boot to open.
Also with the bike the closest to the boot, might touch the rear window if the bike has long handle bars. I think that is why some choose to have the 3 instead of the 2.

I have no problems with my Atera strada evo3 with 3 bikes on it to open the boot.
It is just a heavy bastard:
foto (100).JPG

Clears the boot perfectly due to the longer runners than the 2 bike version.
IMG_20190526_195127.jpg

DL3 here:
e2b2af4a77ef0cdb59180fb773a6ffd2.jpg

0471e0dc9ae00428b2be6908527f6beb.jpg

It‘s not superb but okay. I guess tilt like the Thule would be better when using a wide bar.

My boot opens with my bike on the closest rail without problems. But I have a butterfly bar. With a wide bar like @sapto it wouldn't work either.

Sorry no bikes on and mine is a T5 with barn doors but these both open with bikes on and allow full access EVO3 - yes it is heavy but very easy to put on.

Bike rack up.jpg

IMG-20160823-WA0004.jpeg

Loaded bike rack.jpg

Thanks everyone.

By the looks of it nobody has a DL2 and there must be a reason for that so I think I’ll get the DL3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above the Genio Pro does allow tailgate to open. Unable to post video but have photos of two bikes attached and in position for tailgate to open.

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

As above the Genio Pro does allow tailgate to open. Unable to post video but have photos of two bikes attached and in position for tailgate to open.

View attachment 57895

View attachment 57896
And that would be impossible with a 3 bike rack (with or without 4th bike upgrade). The rack gets too long to tilt 90°.
For a 2 bike rack this would be ok, for 3 or more not anymore.