Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG or Manual?

You want to park up, jump into the roof and trust an electric handbrake...???
Electronics, seriously?

Nooooo thanks.
I’m happy for, and sleep well with the mechanical pull, click and the feel of a tightening handbrake.

While this old thread has been dragged up, I must say I’m less impressed with my DSG than I was. It was close to perfect but has changed massively since I assume the software was updated at the last service. Drive is often more like Sport mode (holding lower gears way too long going up hills) and it’s attempts to do engine braking downhill are similarly high revved.
I’m routinely knocking it into manual mode now. I think I’d done it once prior to the ‘upgrade’. Anyone else noticed a change, or have any theories other than the software change?

2. the wing mirrors dont fold in when you lock the doors, so you have to fold them in before you get out, but then you cant use them to see if a car is at the side of you.
Depending on the exact age of your 2017 Ocean, your wing mirrors may fold up if you keep the lock button on the key fob pressed for 3 seconds.

While this old thread has been dragged up, I must say I’m less impressed with my DSG than I was. It was close to perfect but has changed massively since I assume the software was updated at the last service. Drive is often more like Sport mode (holding lower gears way too long going up hills) and it’s attempts to do engine braking downhill are similarly high revved.
I’m routinely knocking it into manual mode now. I think I’d done it once prior to the ‘upgrade’. Anyone else noticed a change, or have any theories other than the software change?
I don't know whether or not I've had any software upgrade. Dealer had not said anything after last service. Is there a code or what would show up on vagcom?

I don't know whether or not I've had any software upgrade. Dealer had not said anything after last service. Is there a code or what would show up on vagcom?
That's beyond my knowledge I'm afraid but Tom's answer above supports my theory.

You want to park up, jump into the roof and trust an electric handbrake...???
Electronics, seriously?

Nooooo thanks.
I’m happy for, and sleep well with the mechanical pull, click and the feel of a tightening handbrake.
Electric handbrake is electrics controlling the same mechanical handbrake system without the actual handbrake lever.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Electric handbrake is electrics controlling the same mechanical handbrake system without the actual handbrake lever.

I choose the lever everytime...

Our new Tiguan parking brake locked on on both auto hold and button and would not release. Took VW assist hours to rectify by downloading software from factory. Electronic motors would not release discs. Too much is reliant on software.
I am one of the supporters of manual rather than DSG so might have to keep my van a long time.

Time will come when only DSG will be available. Drivers won't be trusted to drive in the most efficient and environmentally friendly mode.
Electric, hybrid or hydrogen power will dictate total computer control systems.

The service manager at SMG Tonbridge warned me after my recent DSG oil change that the van would feel a little different to drive for a few days as the software had been updated and it would take a while for the van to learn my driving style.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
I didn’t think DSG gearboxes were able to learn driving styles? If that’s the case mine needs to go remedial class. From what I’ve read the DSG only adjusts itself to compensate for clutch wear.

I didn’t think DSG gearboxes were able to learn driving styles? If that’s the case mine needs to go remedial class. From what I’ve read the DSG only adjusts itself to compensate for clutch wear.
Also, my wife and myself both drive our Cali. How does the DSG know who's at the wheel?

Time will come when only DSG will be available. Drivers won't be trusted to drive in the most efficient and environmentally friendly mode.
Electric, hybrid or hydrogen power will dictate total computer control systems.
All new trucks now come with auto box unless manual ordered. Been that way for a few years.

Also, my wife and myself both drive our Cali. How does the DSG know who's at the wheel?

It will adapt to the habits of an inconsistent driver

The same thought crossed my mind too.

Maybe it is me who needs to learn to adapt to the software update. My van is certainly driving very differently.

- DSG oil change
- Software update
- 17” wheels and new tyres replacing the original 16” wheels and worn tyres

Just refuelled and had a record low of 26 mpg from the last tank, down from 35 mpg average over the previous 18,000 miles and previous record low of 29 mpg.

Just refuelled and had a record low of 26 mpg from the last tank, down from 35 mpg average over the previous 18,000 miles and previous record low of 29 mpg.

I have no idea how some of the guys are getting 35-40mpg...?
I’ve tracked mine the last few months with this app and cannot beat 30.
Averaging 27ish...

05D20911-29D5-4691-A4D5-946294136A48.png

Good afternoon,

The previous VW came with DSG, no problems for 90 k km with the DSG (bought in 2012). What annoyed me was that the Tiguan was classified to the next higher Tax range because of the higher environmental impact (just ever so slightly). The same car with manual transmission was below that threshold with cheaper Tax range.

I love the van, but I miss the DSG. In 2018 it seems there are no VW California with manual transmission on the Irish market (demo or used). But last year there were a few. The price difference from our demo van to the next van with DSG was far too much. So we decided to go for manual. If I could afford it I would change. I believe it is more relaxing, more convenient and saver to drive with DSG. Also ACC and DSG must be a dream.

According to the MFD on the dashboard the van uses something between 6.6 and 7.1 l / per 100 km. which should be 39 to 41 MPG. At the moment I am closer to the 7 l / 100 km because I just drive short distance (work, shopping etc.). On longer journeys I expect 6.5 l / 100 km.
I hope that the information from the dashboard is have way ok.

Regards,
Eberhard

Isn’t that an oxymoron?;)

Quite possibly :). But the learning programme (whatever that means) will attempt to learn something. Rubbish in, rubbish out perhaps.

Good afternoon,

The previous VW came with DSG, no problems for 90 k km with the DSG (bought in 2012). What annoyed me was that the Tiguan was classified to the next higher Tax range because of the higher environmental impact (just ever so slightly). The same car with manual transmission was below that threshold with cheaper Tax range.

I love the van, but I miss the DSG. In 2018 it seems there are no VW California with manual transmission on the Irish market (demo or used). But last year there were a few. The price difference from our demo van to the next van with DSG was far too much. So we decided to go for manual. If I could afford it I would change. I believe it is more relaxing, more convenient and saver to drive with DSG. Also ACC and DSG must be a dream.

According to the MFD on the dashboard the van uses something between 6.6 and 7.1 l / per 100 km. which should be 39 to 41 MPG. At the moment I am closer to the 7 l / 100 km because I just drive short distance (work, shopping etc.). On longer journeys I expect 6.5 l / 100 km.
I hope that the information from the dashboard is have way ok.

Regards,
Eberhard
The MFD reading should be taken with a few Kgms of Fairy Dust.
Only Brim to Brim fuelling will give a substantially more accurate reading, or a specific app.

The MFD reading should be taken with a few Kgms of Fairy Dust.
Only Brim to Brim fuelling will give a substantially more accurate reading, or a specific app.

Good morning,

But brim to brim fueling can't be done very often, as we know from a different thread, which it was recommended to leave a quarter of the tank full, most of the time.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good morning,

But brim to brim fueling can't be done very often, as we know from a different thread, which it was recommended to leave a quarter of the tank full, most of the time.

Regards,
Eberhard
If you fill to the brim on day one. Then drive as normal for as long as you like, recording the quantity of fuel at each fill. Then on the last refuel, fill to the brim. You have the total “brim to brim” fuel used. You don’t need to let the fuel level drop below a quarter.

Since the speedo overreads by approx 4% is it safe to assume that the distance is also approx 4% out?
Resulting in 4% worse fuel figures also?