Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG or Manual?

I'm pretty certain the lack of precision at very low speed is a feature of the box in the Cali rather than a "fault" or problem; the only other one I have ever driven was just the same.

One those each to their own things - for me DSG is a compromise, but the advantages outweigh the irritations by some margin.

Basically it boils down to " Get what you want ". In the end both the DSG and the Manual Gearbox linked to the DMF flywheel will only perform well and as intended if the person behind the steering wheel knows how to use and gains experience in using them.
After 60,000 miles I'm well used to the DSG and have no problems with using it under any conditions and in any situations.

Don't forget its not just the DSG box versus the Manual Gearbox you must factor in the Clutch/DMF flywheel with regards to longterm use.

I have the slow speed creeping in reverse but only sometimes, oddly. It seems to creep fine in all situations when moving forward. However, when in reverse I've had it pull quite nicely up some steep inclines too but when I pull into my cull-de-sac it tries to reverse but only manages a couple of feet then stops. The cul-de-sac is almost entirely flat.

This is my first DSG so I'm willing to accept that it might be how I'm driving or expectations of the "auto" box. Had an automatic MX5 in the past and have had no issues in the same location and yes I know that they are different animals, before anyone shouts.

Recently just returned from the Western Isles and I ventured off road quite a lot, I found that slow speed reversing again sometimes a problem. I overcome this by engaging the difflock that seems to give all the slow speed control back for me anyway.

I have the DSG, 4 Motion and the mechanical difflock.

-

Apologies if slightly off-topic ...

When using levelling ramps (for example), I have found that more fine control of the DSG can be achieved by using the handbrake (and accelerator if necessary). I'm not sure but I think this could be because the clutch(es) are disengaged when the footbrake is depressed?

Apologies if slightly off-topic ...

When using levelling ramps (for example), I have found that more fine control of the DSG can be achieved by using the handbrake (and accelerator if necessary). I'm not sure but I think this could be because the clutch(es) are disengaged when the footbrake is depressed?
I was left foot braking, next time I'll try the handbrake.

When we had a DSG I was told not to use the foot take, only the handbrake when on a gradient. Apparently if you have you foot on the brake and try to get some revs to move off the DSG brain gets confused and doesn't know if you are trying to set off or not.
Obviously some sort of tie in between footbrake and DSG.

I don't understand, whats the problem with traveling down hill and using the footbrake. If the engine is revving too high as a result, can't you just switch to manual mode( Whatever its called). Can someone explain what the problem is. I have used DSG on my VW Caddy and found it to be just great.

When we had a DSG I was told not to use the foot take, only the handbrake when on a gradient. Apparently if you have you foot on the brake and try to get some revs to move off the DSG brain gets confused and doesn't know if you are trying to set off or not.
Obviously some sort of tie in between footbrake and DSG.
Sounds like the person who told you this, had, had a spell on the vino...lol

I don't understand, whats the problem with traveling down hill and using the footbrake. If the engine is revving too high as a result, can't you just switch to manual mode( Whatever its called). Can someone explain what the problem is. I have used DSG on my VW Caddy and found it to be just great.
I think @briwy was referring to low speed manoeuvres not driving down a hill.

The reason for my question is this...
My car is an automatic, it's my 1st one but it's been so nice to drive I vowed I'd never return to a manual. Then I hired a T6 for a week and that was DSG. Another good experience.

Prior to these 2 events I would probably have sworn by a manual box for driving input that I have since learned I can do with out.
So ideally, I'm looking for a used Cali with DSG but on a new one its a hefty mark up. Whilst I'm sure that the older the used van for sale, the less mark up for DSG there will be, I want to go as new as possible.
It's another decision to make that will effect long term enjoyment.
Anybody owned both ?
Definitely DSG!

The general consensus appears to be DSG before manual. I agree. I drove for about 43 years with manuals of all types including driving a manual, 25 ton Bedford, London to Kathmandu. Very hard work. I now have a DSG BMW sport and a DSG California. Having sat in long slow traffic jams around the world, automatic is the my preferred choice.

Question.
I often use a down shift (manual) to control speed/braking into a corner.
Can this be done via DSG...?

The only thing I can imagine is you don't have a clutch to depress when you feel it's the right point to release. If you get what I mean...???

Question.
I often use a down shift (manual) to control speed/braking into a corner.
Can this be done via DSG...?

The only thing I can imagine is you don't have a clutch to depress when you feel it's the right point to release. If you get what I mean...???
Yes.
If the speed drop is enough, DSG in Drive will do it itself.
Sport mode is better for this approach to cornering (would be better called Responsive mode, but two Rs would confuse!) and I change to this for country roads where more control is required. The lower gear helps with the smooth application of power to pull through the corner.
There is also manual mode - knock the gear shift across to manual and move sequentially down or up. The DSG holds the selected gear, though will take over if you over rev.

Really need to test one again.

Just had a week in a loan dsg van , couldn't fault it .... but can't wait to get my manual back .
Hmmm...
I'd be interested to hear what you think once you are back in the manual.
Just to re-iterate, I'm sure manuals are great in their own right as per most vehicles on the road. Just that you have a back to back comparison from familiar, unfamiliar back to familiar again.

Had a DSG Caravelle today as a loaner whilst my van was in having a service, I absolutely loved it, however getting back into my manual felt a bit antiquated with all that changing gear malarkey!

Another thumbs up for DSG from me. I owned a Golf R32 with it for about 7 years and never had an issue. But the big plus for me was having paddle shift, I'm guessing the Cali DSG doesn't come with that?

Another +1 for DSG, I also had manual so have experienced both and would never go back.

Hi, I wonder if anyone can answer my question.
When driving a California with a DSG is it possible to shift from Drive ‘D’ to Sport ‘S’ whilst driving, or does the vehicle have to be stationary?

Yes, it is perfectly safe to shift to S. It is just a switch to another shifting programme - all just electronics.

The reason for my question is this...
My car is an automatic, it's my 1st one but it's been so nice to drive I vowed I'd never return to a manual. Then I hired a T6 for a week and that was DSG. Another good experience.

Prior to these 2 events I would probably have sworn by a manual box for driving input that I have since learned I can do with out.
So ideally, I'm looking for a used Cali with DSG but on a new one its a hefty mark up. Whilst I'm sure that the older the used van for sale, the less mark up for DSG there will be, I want to go as new as possible.
It's another decision to make that will effect long term enjoyment.
Anybody owned both ?

I have a DSG (2017) and I also have a ford powershift, the powershift.
I was disappointed with the DSG, mainly because the powershift is so stunning.
The DSG does from time to time have issues with hills assist, and on pulling off it is sluggish.
The powershift never fails on hill starts and pulls off happen in a blink of an eye, and thats not even in sports mode. one of the really nice features i like about the powershift is that if you slip it into sport mode it switches off the stop start, which is useful full very busy junctions !
Generally speaking i am disappointed with the cali, i got mine from new
1. had a flat battery because i left my dash cam plugged in as the 12 power socket does not power off as it does in most cars, and yet the radio does power off every 30 mins !
2. the wing mirrors dont fold in when you lock the doors, so you have to fold them in before you get out, but then you cant use them to see if a car is at the side of you.
3. why is the not a knob to adjust the back of the seat on both sides? it would make it whole lot easier to turn the seats around.
4. the speedo etc looks like something from a 10 year old skoda
5. £70k and no electric hand break !!!
i could go on and my wife tells me that i do !
and the end of the day, the lack of competition is what allows VW to keep selling this at the price they do with lots of outdated tech.

I have a DSG (2017) and I also have a ford powershift, the powershift.
I was disappointed with the DSG, mainly because the powershift is so stunning.
The DSG does from time to time have issues with hills assist, and on pulling off it is sluggish.
The powershift never fails on hill starts and pulls off happen in a blink of an eye, and thats not even in sports mode. one of the really nice features i like about the powershift is that if you slip it into sport mode it switches off the stop start, which is useful full very busy junctions !
Generally speaking i am disappointed with the cali, i got mine from new
1. had a flat battery because i left my dash cam plugged in as the 12 power socket does not power off as it does in most cars, and yet the radio does power off every 30 mins !
2. the wing mirrors dont fold in when you lock the doors, so you have to fold them in before you get out, but then you cant use them to see if a car is at the side of you.
3. why is the not a knob to adjust the back of the seat on both sides? it would make it whole lot easier to turn the seats around.
4. the speedo etc looks like something from a 10 year old skoda
5. £70k and no electric hand break !!!
i could go on and my wife tells me that i do !
and the end of the day, the lack of competition is what allows VW to keep selling this at the price they do with lots of outdated tech.
When fault finding on the Cali and it's lack of some functions I find it best to remember that it is basically a commercial van (work horse) which has been converted.

It's easy to compare against a similarly priced car or 4x4 (I've done it) but can you sleep or walk about in them etc.?

I agree with the DSG hill or incline starts being annoying with its lack of positive engagement. Our previous Eos DSG never had that issue.