Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Main heater problems.....

pjm-84

pjm-84

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My Cali seems to have developed an odd main heater / climate control problem (front only). Originally I noticed that it continued to run if the ignition was switched off (like rest mode). Then the front fan refuses to increase speed (i.e no fan control). But it is running on a low setting.

The issues are intermittent. So all will work and then the fan seems to go on low and will refuse to turn off. Flaps and heat distribution, etc all work. Loss of front fan speed control and not turning off are linked. Rear fan works fine and again okay under sync option

Sounds like a dodgy switch. Intermittently sticking closed and then going high resistance.

My Cali seems to have developed an odd main heater / climate control problem (front only). Originally I noticed that it continued to run if the ignition was switched off (like rest mode). Then the front fan refuses to increase speed (i.e no fan control). But it is running on a low setting.

The issues are intermittent. So all will work and then the fan seems to go on low and will refuse to turn off. Flaps and heat distribution, etc all work. Loss of front fan speed control and not turning off are linked. Rear fan works fine and again okay under sync option
Any diagnostics via VCDS or an OBD reader like Carista?

Have a read of my previous heater problems that I resolved below. Sounds like it could be a faulty Heater Resistor, which controls the fan speed, or sometimes the plug wiring to the Heater Resistor is very tight and can cause intermittent problems so worth pulling it through a little then holding with a cable tie ...

Post in thread 'Dash Heater Blower Fan Fuse for T5.1' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/dash-heater-blower-fan-fuse-for-t5-1.33801/post-400621

Yes a Control Circuit for Front Air Blower error - B10A0 01 (009) - Electrical Failure.

Tried to buy a front blower resistor this lunchtime, but alas they dont keep them in stock and they are £177 for the climate control option. Off up to the Lakes first thing tomorrow for 9 days holiday.

Deleted the code and tried it a dozen or so times this lunchtime and okay. A little drive tonight and still okay. See how it fairs tomorrow. Will take a look at the wiring as its intermittent. (It was however persistant last night)

Yes a Control Circuit for Front Air Blower error - B10A0 01 (009) - Electrical Failure.

Tried to buy a front blower resistor this lunchtime, but alas they dont keep them in stock and they are £177 for the climate control option. Off up to the Lakes first thing tomorrow for 9 days holiday.

Deleted the code and tried it a dozen or so times this lunchtime and okay. A little drive tonight and still okay. See how it fairs tomorrow. Will take a look at the wiring as its intermittent. (It was however persistant last night)
Climatronic Heater Resistor 7L0907521B ... Check your part no.

Thanks

I was looking at those and noted that Hitachi do one ..... I found the reference code on your thread but I thought I better take a look before ordering one.

Well arrived. Fan was either on full, or low. Most certainly a resistor issue. Now I cant turn the fan off no matter what fuse I remove. I don't have small enough torx head either to unplug the fan....... wonder how long the battery will last?

Well arrived. Fan was either on full, or low. Most certainly a resistor issue. Now I cant turn the fan off no matter what fuse I remove. I don't have small enough torx head either to unplug the fan....... wonder how long the battery will last?
The heater blower fuse should be a green 30A fuse under the ash tray or passenger seat. If not try the 7.5A fuses under the ashtray position 14 or 15. If that fails just pull out the blower power cable connector.

Screenshot_20211203-213152-546.png

Last edited:
Managed to link mine to a chart on here but alas no control. Oddly though fan has turned itself off

Managed to link mine to a chart on here but alas no control. Oddly though fan has turned itself off
the rest botton on my 6.1 stops when engine temp drops. maybe that's why it turned off ?

Yep. The 7.5 on the top fuse bank lower row controls the front climate panel but the fan still runs.

Took that one out as well. No luck. I think removing the connector to the fan would be best. Just need to buy some torx screwdrivers

Removed and replaced the resistor this morning and all seems normal again.

Bought the Hitachi one from AutoDoc

Don't bother removing the glove box. Removing the lower panel is the better option. Easy once you know how.

Better routed the dash cam (VW install), in to the fuse box from behind so blissfully eliminated some dash rattles in the process

IMG_20211218_101846.jpg

IMG_20211218_101907.jpg