Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning anarchy ... anyone faced this problem?

zcsccg1

zcsccg1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

Right, I have a problem.

I've had a California for almost a year, and have just purchased a new Elddis Avante 360 GTS twinax caravan, which I tow with my Discovery 4. I'm in the process of sorting a detachable towbar for the Cali, but that's a minefield in itself. I didnt spec the towbar prep, and have the full underslung spare, so this worries me with regard to fitting. Looking into this, and I need to do a bit of research here. That's a separate problem.

Anyway, back to my question - i'd like an Air awning which I could use for the Cali, also as a driveaway for it, and which is of a decent enough quality which could be used for the caravan too.

Does one exist? anyone had this issue? They are so expensive, i'm trying to find a single solution which could be used for both outfits rather than buy two separate pieces of kit.

I see there are some which can be expanded, but i've also seen some bad reports of airbeam and i've not seen anything that fits the bill so far. Can the airbbeam awnings be freestanding? I guess I'm showing my ignorance here....

Thanks in advance to an amazing forum
Chris

Hi Chris,

What is the height of the awning rail on your caravan as there could be an option from Kampa coming out in their new range?

Hiya,
Ok, I'm wth the caravan this weekend, so i'll measure if you need specifics, but ...... from the spec sheet

Overall Height 2635mm/8'8"
Maximum Headroom 1950mm/6'5"
Internal Width 2300mm/7'7"
Awning Size 10900mm/35'9

Does this help? How would the slack be taken up with the california roofline??
Chris

The awning I am thinking about fits a height of between 190-240cm, but like Vango we are not allowed to disclose any of the 2019 range just yet.

So if your caravan rail is lower than 240cm this type of awning would be perfect

Sorry to be so vague

Excellent, I'll let you know on that point, but how would it fit the california? I've never had an awning for it so wouldn't know how it connects.
Chris

Do you have a wind out awning ?if you do, there is an awning channel within it to connect a drive away via kador strip.

Yep have the factory awning.....cool.
Spare wheel carrier is no problem for a Westfalia detacheable tow bar.
See P.F.Jones. they sell the complete kit or can fit it using an aftermarket full wiring kit.

New for 2019, you can also add annexes to this as well, it is designed for campers but will also fit small caravans.

Conf002.jpeg

I too had a California, a new Audi Q7 and a twin axle Bailey Pegasus Palermo caravan We had two awnings. Your toys have to be worth £120k. I would put my hand in my pocket, spend a bit more and get two purpose built awnings!! What’s an extra £1000!

18 month later we no longer have the caravan. What a baptism of fire it was dragging that thing around. Your car will make light work of it but wouldn’t fancy it with a fwd Cali. It will wheelspin like mad on anything but flat tarmac.

I reckon the tow bar will be easy to get fitted. They usually remove the aluminium section behind the bumper and replace it with a new steel on the tow bar fits too. At least that’s what they do in cars.

Good luck!

Many thanks for the responses, fantastic. You could be right about getting one for each.
And i'll take a look at the club shop for the awning mentioned.
Chris

For me, one that does both seems a good choice for me as long as its not too big a compromise. Why spend the money on two awnings when you could spend it on holidays ;)

Yep have the factory awning.....cool.
You'd also need a few sections of "figure of 8", if you actually want to drive away, such as this from the club shop https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/awning-figure-8-connector.jpg.

However, I think a better option, as we do is to click the figure of 8 over the top edge of the wind out section of the wind out awning, avoiding the need to faff with a kador strip. The added benefit of this is a little extra height at the connection point to the van, as per this helpful post including a picture: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vango-kela-fouling-on-the-sliding-door.6160/

I tried the trick I read about on here of not bothering with the Kador groove on the wind out awning and instead just hooking it under the retracted awning in the housing instead (hard to explain) - works a treat

Not driven away and tried to reposition it yet mind...

Sorry guys. We've totally been confused about the connection to the vw awning. How do we do this? What's needed in terms of the kador strip? Then figure of 8? We're completely confused by it so for the vw what's needed?

At the NEC show so hopefully we can do deal or two?

Please please help I really don't know

Back