Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning (mini) disaster in the wind... in Snowdonia - advice please

Does it look like the one in my picture? I think there are 2 types from Fiamma. The original one like I have that will do a lot of caravan awnings as well as motorhomes and campervans, one long strap, one spring and two long metal pegs. Also the newer shorter ones that clip into the Kador rail on the outside of the awning. There are 2 straps, 2 springs and 2 pegs with this type. The longer one goes over the metal bars that wind-out underneath the awning rather than on the awning.

Many thanks Simon, that's brilliant. Well, I never thought of putting the strap over the arms but under the canvas. Doh!

My awning is the VW factory-fitted Thule/Omnistor type which two 'elbowed' arms. Not sure from your picture if your Fiamma(?) awning is the same configuration, but it does look like it. If so, has that arrangement (using single strap) worked well for you?

A two-strap system looks a more sophisticated solution, but there again maybe simpler is better.

My strap kit had no spring supplied with it, but being a long single web strap there's still a decent amount of 'give' in it overall.

Many thanks Simon, that's brilliant. Well, I never thought of putting the strap over the arms but under the canvas. Doh!

My awning is the VW factory-fitted Thule/Omnistor type which two 'elbowed' arms. Not sure from your picture if your Fiamma(?) awning is the same configuration, but it does look like it. If so, has that arrangement (using single strap) worked well for you?

A two-strap system looks a more sophisticated solution, but there again maybe simpler is better.

My strap kit had no spring supplied with it, but being a long single web strap there's still a decent amount of 'give' in it overall.

Mine is also the Thule VW fitted awning and the single strap works well. I'm sure there should be a spring with it, looking on the starter kit contents picture, (see below)
Starter kit.jpg
there is a spring with it.
I would have thought best thing to do is contact Kevin or Martin & ask them.
The spring will take out the "shock" of any gust by giving a little but also keeping the webbing tight on the hook if/when it stretches. Otherwise it might fall off the hook whilst you are away. If you put the peg into the ground just a bit further out of a straight line it will make sure the webbing stays at the bottom of the rail.

You asked about long term usage. I go up to Snowdonia a lot, I volunteer on one of the steam railways, and always use the California. I bought the tie down kit in December and used it up there through the tail end of the winds that hit the Lake District. I think it is better when the awning sides are on as the wind can't get underneath then, also it has a lot of extra pegs holding the whole structure down. Not had any problems since I bought it.

Last edited:
I think it's better to split the difference and run them at 45 degrees:)

I think you are right. It'll ensure that the webbing stays at the bottom of the bar and it is less likely to be a trip hazard.

I think you are right. It'll ensure that the webbing stays at the bottom of the bar and it is less likely to be a trip hazard.
It's more to do with triangulation, if they are fitted in just one direction it allows movement in the other, by fitting them at an angle to each other it braces both directions. That's my understanding anyway, but I did dismally fail my mechanical engineering module!

Back