Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning wind out

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have never put the awning out fully, sitting here wondering which of these images is correct. Do you wing it out all the way so the struts are completely strait or leave them not quite strait. Also it’s raining so put the front leg much much lower, had to do this before it stoped it pooling. Is this ok ?

F4FB4DF0-F55E-4351-936E-02C8770572C3.jpeg

E1EF15F6-0D30-4063-827B-C70A11197ED2.jpeg

I have never put the awning out fully, sitting here wondering which of these images is correct. Do you wing it out all the way so the struts are completely strait or leave them not quite strait. Also it’s raining so put the front leg much much lower, had to do this before it stoped it pooling. Is this ok ?

View attachment 62449

View attachment 62450
Doesn’t matter how much you wind it out, but what is important is tensioning it, by winding back, once the Tiedown Guys are tight. Whether you lower both legs or just one leg doesn’t matter as long as the fabric is tensioned.

View attachment 62449

View attachment 62450
The first time I used mine I did it closer to your first picture and couldn’t wind it back in without getting 2 others to manually push the joints as I wound it in. Not sure if I did anything wrong but I now always do it the same as your second picture

Thanks, yep had a bit of trouble winding it in

We tend to wind ours out until you get the material under tension. If you wind it out all the way it just goes floppy.. The arms on ours are never dead straight they always look slightly bent. That’s what we have been doing for 5 years and seems to work for us.

Bent and under tension for us. Away at night if I've not heard the weather forecast. Too many tales of woe about wind damaged awning and Calis.