Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Back in action!

outside

outside

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
1st time poster, long time lurker and beneficiary of this great forum.

A low point in my California adventure was over 4 years ago when my beloved 1992 T4 High Top was stolen from us after only 2 years. Finally we were recently in a position again to buy a T4 and we couldn't be happier. Introducing Gunther!:

This is us en-route back from Frankfurt to Ireland:
BHqzzwC.jpg

1st job was adding a F45:
NqI5YHb.jpg

Then a cruise control kit:
Oa1zptX.jpg

A rare Saturday of sunshine here on the West Coast of Ireland:
ET0mv0v.jpg

Needless to say, we couldn't be happier!

2001 Cali Generation.

Outside.

Thanks all! We've done a couple of day trips so far to get back our Westfalia familiarity. You'd be surprised how much you forget after 4 years! Hopefully we'll try an overnight-er this weekend in the wilds of Connemara. Having a 6 month old with us adds a few new challenges but it should be great fun for her growing up.

The choice last year was to use money to either renovate house or get back the Cali. We decided our daughter will have happier memories of a camper van rather than a fancy kitchen so buying the Cali was an easy choice!

Having a 6 month old with us adds a few new challenges but it should be great fun for her growing up.

The choice last year was to use money to either renovate house or get back the Cali. We decided our daughter will have happier memories of a camper van rather than a fancy kitchen so buying the Cali was an easy choice!

:agreed
Our little fella is about to turn 1year, his first trip was when he was 2months old, to him its just an extension of the house... You just have to be a little more organised and move your stuff around the van continuously :D

...as for the kitchen, good to have your priorities right - you can always rip out the kitchen in the house completely and rig up some sort of drive-away awning type affair so you can use the Cali as a kitchen instead ;)

Hah ha! That drive away kitchen extension idea sounds like we can have it all!
**googles "how to attach kadar strip to house"**

A peach.

Been a big increase in ‘4’ Action here of late.

We could be in a position for a take over?

Welcome and congratulations. Your van looks like an absolute cracker. I just love the T4. Had one for years and it was probably one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I'm green with envy. I hope that you have many happy adventures.

Welcome back outside!
I am sure we all can benefit of your knowledge of T4 and congratulation on your new one! Guther looks like he‘s in great shape!
Not in the same time scale as you are re children however we try to stay 2 nights a way with out 2week old next week. Look forward to it and hope we can manage it.

Oooh just noticed the Red i :Stig

That’s three of us here now. :cheers

Come on Mr Cheese, step up ?

Welcome back outside!
I am sure we all can benefit of your knowledge of T4 and congratulation on your new one! Guther looks like he‘s in great shape!
Not in the same time scale as you are re children however we try to stay 2 nights a way with out 2week old next week. Look forward to it and hope we can manage it.

Different by only 6 months! Awesome that your bringing your 2 week old camping! Ye must be nailing this parenting business! Get them to conform to your life and not the other way around, I like it! It'll make for some great stories when they grow up, the very best of luck!

Different by only 6 months! Awesome that your bringing your 2 week old camping! Ye must be nailing this parenting business! Get them to conform to your life and not the other way around, I like it! It'll make for some great stories when they grow up, the very best of luck!

Thank you for your empowerment! Same to you and I‘ll report back! Happy weekend!

Yes the red i! I wasn't limiting my searching to a red i but two came up just outside Frankfurt in a garage called "Chilicampers". I had been to Munich to view 4 vans about a month previous with no luck. Then on this trip to Frankfurt I viewed 3.

I agreed on €21,800 there and then with a €500 deposit. There were a few small jobs to be done, change wheels to alloys, clips broken, window latch broken etc. In fairness to Gunther at Chilicampers he had it all sorted when I went back 2 weeks later to pick it up. Included in the price was also the 30 days plates that he sorted for us. So a good experience with Chilicampers in case anyone's looking.

Then back into Ireland they slap on 13.3% VRT :(

Not a cheap purchase by any stretch of the imagination but we're happy to be back. Fingers crossed now we have many many miles of trouble-free camping adventures ahead!

Wow that’s brutal but still ok I think for such a van. They are high value items but smiles per mile are off the scale so worth every Euro.

Good history? Mileage? Work needed?

295k km's. Full service history in the log book anyway so hopefully it's legit! Timing belt and water pump just done. I can see the clutch cylinder has a little play side-to-side so I've that strengthening bracket from ebay ordered to hopefully prolong it's life...**nervous laugh**. I hear that's an expensive one?

There has definitely been some paint touch up's done/panels resprayed but it all seems pretty OK I think. I'll know in a few years I guess! The underside has some sort of black coating for protection? Fingers crossed its a good job.

My technical knowledge is still very VERY lacking but initial impressions are good. Time will tell I'm sure.

It's always a bit of a gamble I guess!

Sounds good. Mileage is irrelevant really as these are good for star ship mileage.

I think you’d be hard pushed to find a van like this without a bit of paint here and there.

All we need now is a summer!

It looks fantastic and pretty spotless! Congrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha ha. Too happy with my van to go for such a big spend to get that magic red ‘I’. It’s a remap at some point for me. I’ve read the right map can give 150 performance til around 3000rpm. After that your modified injectors, intercooler and turbo come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

295k km's. Full service history in the log book anyway so hopefully it's legit! Timing belt and water pump just done. I can see the clutch cylinder has a little play side-to-side so I've that strengthening bracket from ebay ordered to hopefully prolong it's life...**nervous laugh**. I hear that's an expensive one?

There has definitely been some paint touch up's done/panels resprayed but it all seems pretty OK I think. I'll know in a few years I guess! The underside has some sort of black coating for protection? Fingers crossed its a good job.

My technical knowledge is still very VERY lacking but initial impressions are good. Time will tell I'm sure.

It's always a bit of a gamble I guess!

Congrats on your purchase. Generation. Reflex Silver. 2001. Good call. And that Red ‘I’ is a real bonus. Happy Campering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all! We've done a couple of day trips so far to get back our Westfalia familiarity. You'd be surprised how much you forget after 4 years! Hopefully we'll try an overnight-er this weekend in the wilds of Connemara. Having a 6 month old with us adds a few new challenges but it should be great fun for her growing up.

You’ll be fine camping with your young daughter. We first camped (trailer tent) with our eldest when she was 6 weeks old. They don’t really mind where they are at that age. Completely agree re the memories. Ours are all grown up but often reminisce about camping holidays. Even those when it rained solidly for a week! Enjoy and happy adventures.

Welcome to the forum. It’s great to see another T4 from Ireland. You will have a great time with it. I’m based here in Mayo, so if you ever need any help or advice, let me know. I have my California Freestyle for about a year now, so I’m getting to know plenty about them.
Regards Padraic.