Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bacon

K

Kev Elleray

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Sorry I cant get the search function to work and this question has probably been asked many times but as a topic of discussion with my wife I am just wondering who actually cooks bacon in a Cali?
I have to say we hired a motorhome last week and cooked breakfast 4 days out of 5 albeit with the windows and vents open but the Cali is a bit tighter space to be frying bacon!

Sorry I cant get the search function to work and this question has probably been asked many times but as a topic of discussion with my wife I am just wondering who actually cooks bacon in a Cali?
I have to say we hired a motorhome last week and cooked breakfast 4 days out of 5 albeit with the windows and vents open but the Cali is a bit tighter space to be frying bacon!
Yes, but in the ridgemonkey. Stops the fat spitting everywhere and helps contain the smells too.

Always. Plus fried bread, eggs, sausages, mushrooms etc.
Ridgemonkey to keep the spitting under control
Charcoal bag to eliminate the smells. Never had a problem with odours.

Ventilation is key. Window at least 1/2 open and the sliding door open. Get a good draft going the cabin, use a Ridgemonkey and avoid kippers at all costs, are the key points. I also have an aromatherapy diffuser which helps maintain an aura of sophistication.

Why wouldn’t you. I presume you cook at home in the kitchen and not on the patio.
As has been said, open a window or two, Ridgemonkey or anti-splatter cover.
Personally I don’t see the point of having a full kitchen and cooking outside in the depths of winter or a Force 10 gale.

If I cook anything that's likely to "spit n splutter" I use a mesh cover and open side vent window slightly.

No smelly stuff, so no fish, bacon etc. On the road we do sandwiches when in camping we cook outside. But we also mostly spend our time outside.

We only cook with the trusty Remoska indoors if we are on a hookup, but aim to be somewhere warm enough to cook outside.

Gotta love the Ridgemonkey :thumb

We cook outside. We have a two ring electric hob and cook outside under the rollout blind with a blocker on the side.
The only ‘cooking’ we do in the van is tea bed in the morning, when we use an electric kettle or gas if no electric available and it can all be done from your bed. Lovely start to the day

Primarily inside with windows open. 7 years and the van is good. Stop splashes with a lid or in a ridge monkey.

Outside when then weather is good.

If you have it, then use it!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Interesting to hear from others about this subject. When camping we hope for good weather. In which case we cook things like meat, fish and bacon outside on a single gas burner. Pasta, vegetables, rice, etc we cook inside. Not really because of the smell but mainly because it's nice to be (and cook) outside. When the weather is bad we dine out or eat bread or sometimes we cook inside. Odours have never really been a problem when you ventilate well. We often use the omnia oven to cook bread, eggs, or chicken wings inside.

Interesting to hear from others about this subject. When camping we hope for good weather. In which case we cook things like meat, fish and bacon outside on a single gas burner. Pasta, vegetables, rice, etc we cook inside. Not really because of the smell but mainly because it's nice to be (and cook) outside. When the weather is bad we dine out or eat bread or sometimes we cook inside. Odours have never really been a problem when you ventilate well. We often use the omnia oven to cook bread, eggs, or chicken wings inside.
What he said.

Sheesh. It’s worse than the Ocean vs Beach debate :D

I bought a mini air purifier that plugs into the 12v socket as we have a couple of dogs. It’s also effective with removing cooking smells. Only cost about £20.