Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bad Manners

A

applejack

I have just reversed back to what felt like a quarter of a mile as there was no passing place on the road I was driving and the other driver did not even aknowledge me let along say thank you!

What is the matter with people these days !!!

By the way, it was a Transporter driver as well, one of those lowered T5 ones with big green 20" wheels

A lot of normal T5 owners see Cali owners as cheats as we did not convert our van ourselves. I have a few mates who are T5 owners in various clubs and I got some inside information as I once went to one of their meets and I was left to feel like an outsider.
This is still no excuse for bad manners on the road.

I'm sure clicks exist but can't type cast everyone. I got a wave from someone the other day who was in a converted Transporter and I was so busy trying to suss that out as it approached me I didn't have time to return the wave.
I bet he thought I was ignorant :confused: but sounds like the OP made way for a right T***er

I have local Cali owners that do not wave.
I also have a local Cali owner that waves even when not in her Cali, :bananadance2

Granny Jen

No I don’t think it’s got anything to do with him just being in a t5 or t6 transporter,
and the fact that it had 20”wheels and was lowered makes no difference at all in my opinion all that means is he’s into the lifestyle.....
People in converted modded transporters have the same interests,,
as do all my mates in T5s T4s T3s T2s so I doubt he was shunning for the fact that you was in a California?
He was probably Just one of them people that thought well I have come further down the road than you have so you back up!!!
there’s many people on the roads like this today unfortunately,,,
you just have to bite your lip and back up or go for full on road rage!!!!!
I think biting your lip is better.....
in the past I would of gone for the latter but there’s never any benefit from that it just ruins your day...
On forums there’s many armchair warriors with strong opinions but in reality I think all vw people seem to be very helpful chatty and a decent bunch
I think the clicky thing does exist but it’s more of a club thing where you get that!

Last edited:
Tiree, as in Scottish island, is pretty much flat with small roads and passing places. People wait ages, as you can see someone coming in the distance, and then wave happily, it's just the best place to drive. We kept upping our thanks, to the point it was enthusiastic thumbs up, big smile and wave. :)

I have just reversed back to what felt like a quarter of a mile as there was no passing place on the road I was driving and the other driver did not even aknowledge me let along say thank you!

What is the matter with people these days !!!

By the way, it was a Transporter driver as well, one of those lowered T5 ones with big green 20" wheels
Just means you are a better Driver/Person than he is.
Probably couldn’t find reverse gear.

I have local Cali owners that do not wave.
I also have a local Cali owner that waves even when not in her Cali, :bananadance2

Granny Jen

If it's when I am out running it's normally a wave of gratitude for not being tun over :shocked

Unlike the incident at Goring Gap 18 months ago when a driver of a motorhome was faced with a choice: hit the other oncoming vehicle: Hit the wheezing old dear running along the side of the road: Stop until the road was clear to proceed.

Stopping clearly was not an option so so he chose to splatter me against the side of a parked car :sad

A lot of normal T5 owners see Cali owners as cheats as we did not convert our van ourselves. I have a few mates who are T5 owners in various clubs and I got some inside information as I once went to one of their meets and I was left to feel like an outsider.
Envy is a curious thing!

I was riding the trike downhill on a narrow road one day and a car towing a caravan came towards me, drove straifght past a passing place (large enough for car and van), then when we stopped head to head, asked me to back up.

I was so glad to be able to say 'sorry mate, no reverse gear, can't back up'.

It took him absolutely ages to reverse down and pull into the passing place with me watching him! :D

@BikerGran
It's not uncommon that decending traffic makes way for upgoing trafic ...at least i was thinking so . A upgoing verhicle stopping on a steep part of the road sometimes can be very difficult to get going again ...
And having a verhicle with no reverse gear is not roadworthy (here in Belgium )

@BikerGran
It's not uncommon that decending traffic makes way for upgoing trafic ...at least i was thinking so . A upgoing verhicle stopping on a steep part of the road sometimes can be very difficult to get going again ...
And having a verhicle with no reverse gear is not roadworthy (here in Belgium )

Even a motorcycle? A trike is a 3 wheeled motocycle.

in Italy, those who are on the uphill route always have precedence, if they do not move, they also take a fine, Article 151 of the CDS ... only if it is easier to move for those who climb (maybe there is a road opening) is tolerated

Envy is a curious thing!

In the situation of the OP I don't think anyone can tell if it's a Cali or a converted Transporter etc. Just plain bad manners.

Here in Hungary it's waves and flashes of hazard lights all day long, of course not everyone, the usual suspects (BMW X6M drivers...) exist in every country ;)

We live in a narrow Victorian cul-de-sac in Bristol which used to be a commuter car park until we got resident's parking.
There is an unwritten rule that whoever is the nearest to an empty space reverses back into it to let the other person past. I arrived home after work and drove 60 feet down the road and a commuter drove up to the bonnet of my car making gestures to indicate that I must reverse. I pointed to a space a few feet behind him and indicated that he should reverse. He declined. I'm afraid it had been a long day & I was in a perfect mood to be annoyed by an arrogant commuter. So I turned off my engine, got my paper out and rang Helen to ask if she could bring a cup of tea out. This she did on a very nice shiny tray and served it through the window. By this time the commuter was hopping up and down in his seat. I pointed out to him the 10 feet he could back as opposed to the 60 feet for me, he shook his head.
It went on for a while but I was getting tired of this, he shouted that he wanted to go home. I said that I did too, but it was only a few yards for me and made it look as if I was ready to get out of the car and just leave it where it was. He finally reversed and we all lived happily ever after.
I did remember to thank him as I drove past though.

Back