Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Batteries - What Runs What?

J

Justinholland72

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi

im new to this. Is the general rule of thumb that front of seat belt pillars run from engine battery and behind everything in rear?

Does the front radio for example only ever run from leisure batteries?

Have T6 Ocean 2019.

Thanks

The radio runs from the main battery, not leisure. It turns off after 30 minutes to save power.

Hi

im new to this. Is the general rule of thumb that front of seat belt pillars run from engine battery and behind everything in rear?

Does the front radio for example only ever run from leisure batteries?

Have T6 Ocean 2019.

Thanks
I have a 2014 Beach. On the dash, the 12v connector in the ash tray runs off engine battery, and the socket on top of the dash runs off the leisure battery. I’ve checked it with a voltmeter, and you should probably do the same, since there seems to be very little consistency from year to year. The radio always runs off engine battery, and everything else behind the B pillar runs off leisure.

As a general rule, on the Ocean/SE, the two leisure batteries run all of the 12v sockets, interior lights, habitation heater and fridge. Often one of the dashboard 12v sockets is also run from the leisure batteries with the other run off the engine battery.

The roof hydraulic pump is driven off the leisure batteries too but you need to turn on the ignition switch, although why I have never worked out.

Front interior lights and footwell lights are off the engine battery as is the radio.

I say 'as a general rule' because this does vary. For instance, on my 2010 SE the dashboard drawer socket is powered by the leisure battery.

A VW dealer will not tell you your fuse layout but will be happy to go online to find out the use of a specific fuse. Something to do with VWUK Data Protection would you believe!

Lots of this information is available on the forum if you become a VIP member.

Alan

The roof hydraulic pump is driven off the leisure batteries too but you need to turn on the ignition switch, although why I have never worked out.
Alan

We operated the roof without the engine running a couple times and couldn’t start the van after on our 2006 SE. So Beware...The above is not always the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a general rule, on the Ocean/SE, the two leisure batteries run all of the 12v sockets, interior lights, habitation heater and fridge. Often one of the dashboard 12v sockets is also run from the leisure batteries with the other run off the engine battery.

Front interior lights and footwell lights are off the engine battery as is the radio.

I say 'as a general rule' because this does vary. For instance, on my 2010 SE the dashboard drawer socket is powered by the leisure battery.

A VW dealer will not tell you your fuse layout but will be happy to go online to find out the use of a specific fuse. Something to do with VWUK Data Protection would you believe!

Lots of this information is available on the forum if you become a VIP member.

Alan
Ignition On, for the roof is a safety feature, to prevent sticky kids fingers playing with the roof.

We operated the roof without the engine running a couple times and couldn’t start the van after on our 2006 SE. So Beware...The above is not always the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suspect that is a quirk of the earlier models and changed in later years.

Alan