Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery -what to expect?

O

ob600

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I got my new pre-reg 2018 Ocean last July and it is now showing sub 12V and 40% when I leave it for a few days. When I drove across to Italy in Sept I didn't notice any issues. I use it almost daily and have put 10k on it in 7 months, so it is not standing idle. A few short trips but most 20km each time. After these it shows 100%, 14.4V whilst charging and something above 12V with the engine off. I haven't yet had an overnight in it and am worried that if I use the heather, for example, it will run flat.
Question 1: If the leisure batteries run flat does that also me the engine battery is flat, or is it protected from being drained in this manner?
Question 2: The batteries losing charge like this does not seem encouraging - has anyone had similar experience? Are the batteries performing as expected (about 30 months old) or are they malfunctioning (or simply knackered)? If my main battery dipped below 12 I would suspect it was at the end of its life.

I'm paralysed and can't afford to risk getting stuck somewhere remote!

Any help gratefully accepted

I got my new pre-reg 2018 Ocean last July and it is now showing sub 12V and 40% when I leave it for a few days. When I drove across to Italy in Sept I didn't notice any issues. I use it almost daily and have put 10k on it in 7 months, so it is not standing idle. A few short trips but most 20km each time. After these it shows 100%, 14.4V whilst charging and something above 12V with the engine off. I haven't yet had an overnight in it and am worried that if I use the heather, for example, it will run flat.
Question 1: If the leisure batteries run flat does that also me the engine battery is flat, or is it protected from being drained in this manner?
Question 2: The batteries losing charge like this does not seem encouraging - has anyone had similar experience? Are the batteries performing as expected (about 30 months old) or are they malfunctioning (or simply knackered)? If my main battery dipped below 12 I would suspect it was at the end of its life.

1, Engine battery not involved with Leisure Circuit.
2. How long did the Dealer have the vehicle before you bought it?
3. The Handbook says to charge Leisure Batteries for at least 12hrs every month on mains hookup.
4. Leisure Batteries should show 12.7v, after an hours rest post charge. The% reading is an iffy calculation volts are accurate.
5. Check the 75amp cube fuse on the +tve pole of rear leisure battery.

1, Engine battery not involved with Leisure Circuit.
2. How long did the Dealer have the vehicle before you bought it?
3. The Handbook says to charge Leisure Batteries for at least 12hrs every month on mains hookup.
4. Leisure Batteries should show 12.7v, after an hours rest post charge. The% reading is an iffy calculation volts are accurate.
5. Check the 75amp cube fuse on the +tve pole of rear leisure battery.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know they are not involved. The dealer would have had it for a year I suppose - and I have no idea if they charged it monthly or not ... suspect not.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know they are not involved. The dealer would have had it for a year I suppose - and I have no idea if they charged it monthly or not ... suspect not.
Sounds like a warranty issue but you need to be quick if the original warranty is 3 years...

I had solar panels installed on Tues and the chap that did it told me quite a large fuse, which connected the two batteries had blown, meaning I was only using one battery and I did not know it!

May be worth checking this fuse, not sure where it is though!

Kirstie

I had solar panels installed on Tues and the chap that did it told me quite a large fuse, which connected the two batteries had blown, meaning I was only using one battery and I did not know it!

May be worth checking this fuse, not sure where it is though!

Kirstie
It’s called a “ Cube” fuse, 75amp on the red +tve pole of the rear Leisure Battery.

It’s called a “ Cube” fuse, 75amp on the red +tve pole of the rear Leisure Battery.
Yep, thank you Have now looked back on all previous threads and seen all of your comments. A 50a/75a ceramic cube fuse - I’ve sourced and bought one from Amazon at £3ish , just in case

Regards,
Kirstie

Back