Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery Capacity T6 vs. T6.1

Electricity is not my strongest …

It seems the leisure battery capacity was reduced from 2 x 105 Ah on the T6 to 2 x 75 Ah on the T6.1 - am I wrong? Does anyone know about the reason for that?

I was surprised our new T6.1 Ocean ran out of battery after only 16 hours recently. Well, we were on Corse and it was hot. But the fridge was on 4 and we only charged an iPhone and iWatch. I assume there is something wrong. But start looking into it, I found that the leisure battery capacity was reduced.

Picture after full charge (Using maxCharge function) again …

View attachment 64369
T6 has 2 75Ah leisure batteries not 105Ah. I never had empty batteries even after 3 days off grid Over last 5 years.

I really wish I could get a second battery in my beach, it would transform the off grid capability.

I am sure a few folks have managed to fit larger capacity batteries under the seat but with two batteries they need to match, wonder if a larger one can be fitted in the back of an Ocean?
@Kmann I have seen some folks who have put solar panels on their roof boxes.

Then why are mine (T5.1) showing 100% after driving 1000km, and a T6 only 80%? Because mine doesn't have regenarative braking. Don't know if the T5.1 with bluemotion technology only charges to 80%, but the T6 certainly does.
On my beach the blue motion seems (according to my battery monitor) to only charge to 80%. If you wait about an hour or two after stopping driving that should be a good indication of charge level. Mine will read higher just after stopping but once rested it will drop to 80% region.

I have a 6.1 and the batteries are 105 ah. And yes there is a option to do a full charge while driving (max charge function).
I'm awaiting delivery of my 6.1 and I hope mine are 105's on the UK variant! Holding off ordering Solar kit for a while just to gauge off grid usage etc.

The online T6.1 brochure in DK say capacity is 150 Ah, but one from our forum tell me he has 2x105 Ah as original in his T6 but I think he must be wrong then?

UPDATE. OK. The guy told me he was wrong. His batteries is also 75 Ah. So the 105 Ah was a dream and things make more sense.

I really wish I could get a second battery in my beach, it would transform the off grid capability.
I have added a 115ah battery to my Beach. It is independent of the under seat original.

We have the 2 seat bench version. Looking in from the boot the battery lives in the empty void behind the storage box. The storage box ends but flat surface runs further back over the wheel arch, perfect for putting the additional battery under.

I've kept the batteries independent, so it gets charged to 100% by our solar. The cable run to the Vicron Bluetooth box hidden in the jack compartment is nice and short, as is the flylead to a 12v outlet we use to run our fridge/ anything else we need to run.

As you can imagine with 115ah and the van's original we haven't run out of juice yet.

I have added a 115ah battery to my Beach. It is independent of the under seat original.

We have the 2 seat bench version. Looking in from the boot the battery lives in the empty void behind the storage box. The storage box ends but flat surface runs further back over the wheel arch, perfect for putting the additional battery under.

I've kept the batteries independent, so it gets charged to 100% by our solar. The cable run to the Vicron Bluetooth box hidden in the jack compartment is nice and short, as is the flylead to a 12v outlet we use to run our fridge/ anything else we need to run.

As you can imagine with 115ah and the van's original we haven't run out of juice yet.

so do you have two independent leisure electric systems? Or have I not understood correctly?

We spent 8 days in Cornwall in our 6.1
The first 5 with no hook up and had no issues we then hooked up for 2 days on a different site don’t think I needed too as it was still showing over 3 quarters on the control panel

I am sure a few folks have managed to fit larger capacity batteries under the seat but with two batteries they need to match, wonder if a larger one can be fitted in the back of an Ocean?
@Kmann I have seen some folks who have put solar panels on their roof boxes.

under what circumstances have you run out of battery power please? Presume you have solar?

so do you have two independent leisure electric systems? Or have I not understood correctly?
Yes. VW set up untouched and 115ah Victron solar set up. Had planned to connect them but time/laziness/ not voiding warranty means they are still separate. I've found it works well, the solar setup runs the fridge full time if needed leaving the VW one for lights etc.

Yes. VW set up untouched and 115ah Victron solar set up. Had planned to connect them but time/laziness/ not voiding warranty means they are still separate. I've found it works well, the solar setup runs the fridge full time if needed leaving the VW one for lights etc.
Don't connect them as you will have problems. A 2 Leisure Battery system should be wired in parallel to maintain a 12v system and both batteries should be identical in type, amp hours and age.

Don't connect them as you will have problems. A 2 Leisure Battery system should be wired in parallel to maintain a 12v system and both batteries should be identical in type, amp hours and age.
Thanks. That was essentially what I decided.

It works well as a separate system, allows a bigger battery on solar etc. As much as it would have been neat to have a connected system it works equally well, if not better, as a larger capacity system that the Victron controller can manage separately to the Euro 6 limited 80% VW setup.

Thanks. That was essentially what I decided.

It works well as a separate system, allows a bigger battery on solar etc. As much as it would have been neat to have a connected system it works equally well, if not better, as a larger capacity system that the Victron controller can manage separately to the Euro 6 limited 80% VW setup.
Some Solar controllers can charge 2 batteries that are dissimilar. That could be a way forward to charge both batteries without connecting them.

Actually the T6.1 has a Max Charge funktion. I think its a booster. But with that on, you are supposed to make a full charge while driving.
I dont think Bluemotion and full charge has anything to do with each other. The T5 and T6 are only able to make a full charge while on hook-up.
After driving A lot, and camping for 10days with no hookup:
- charging while driving to 80%
- the other 20% charges automatically on ‘coasting’. Downhill in eco, no amps. Touch the brake (so the starts engine braking), up to 16amps into leisure batteries.
- max charge does several things:
* holding engine start/stop from stopping
* bit more revs when standing still
* that first 80% goes faster
* that last 20% goes forced; no free coasting energy.

I think that is supersmart!
I am asking myself if the car re-uses that 20% coasting energy at some point. One time after driving many hours, no max charge but battery 100% full, I saw -25A on panel with no such load connected, assuming the alternator can turn into motor at some point, feeded from leisure batteries when 100%.

I too have 2x 75ah. When at home, I don’t use the car in weekend, never turn off fridge (st3), never plug in. At home only short distances. Batt never gets full full, but also never empty. I e time in two weeks I plug it in.
FYI

You are right I also saw it once. And we have discussed the possibility. But again, the box is not always on. So the best solution would be a portable set of some sort.
Or you could get a tow-bar mounted box for the rear?

I'm awaiting delivery of my 6.1 and I hope mine are 105's on the UK variant! Holding off ordering Solar kit for a while just to gauge off grid usage etc.
How did this pan out for you @Duetveil - did you find the batteries were adequate without solar for off grid camping? For how long?

How did this pan out for you @Duetveil - did you find the batteries were adequate without solar for off grid camping? For how long?
Yes found that for 2 days camping we're fine, so for our needs we've not had to fit solar. I also us the Battery "Max charge" feature on the camping screen when travelling between stopovers.

Hi @WelshGas,

Hope you're well? Just reading through this thread as I was trying to find out what capacity / size etc the Leisure Batteries are in my Cali (2016 T6).

Are both the Leisure Battery (located at the bottom of the cupboard) and the Leisure Battery (under the passenger seat) the same (size and capacity).

My system holds no charge anymore and think its in need of both replacing. I have the Solar Camper Solutions kit (https://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk/index.php/en/shop/vwcalikit) ready to rig up so would sense to have x2 new batteries to go in at the same time?

Do you have any links / recommendations of which Leisure batteries to look at?

Sorry for all the questions - not only am I a complete automotive creation but also an electrically inclined numpty so good to learn and hear off someone who clearly knows what the hell they're doing! :-D

Kindest regards,

Hi @WelshGas,

Hope you're well? Just reading through this thread as I was trying to find out what capacity / size etc the Leisure Batteries are in my Cali (2016 T6).

Are both the Leisure Battery (located at the bottom of the cupboard) and the Leisure Battery (under the passenger seat) the same (size and capacity).

My system holds no charge anymore and think its in need of both replacing. I have the Solar Camper Solutions kit (https://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk/index.php/en/shop/vwcalikit) ready to rig up so would sense to have x2 new batteries to go in at the same time?

Do you have any links / recommendations of which Leisure batteries to look at?

Sorry for all the questions - not only am I a complete automotive creation but also an electrically inclined numpty so good to learn and hear off someone who clearly knows what the hell they're doing! :-D

Kindest regards,
As above link supplied by @Ch1pbutty .
Both batteries are the same. If you can wire a plug you can change the Leisure Batteries. When you get them charge both up separately before fitting.

Yes, just a swap. If you dare tryn with solalr panels install first, maybe you can wait with getting new batteries.

Back