Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery Yet Again

12.01 after 2 weeks generally
So I presume you are referring to the Leisure Battery?

Any adapters in any of the 12v sockets or the B Pilar Inverter socket?

Thanks welshGas so no need to chase VW

Was a 2018 second hand not used yet due to current situation

Was a 2018 second hand not used yet due to current situation
Straight back to the dealer for diagnostic and battery replacement under warranty, they have not maintained the batteries as advised by Vw

Thanks I suspect it was sat on their forecourt for an age who knows just wanted advice

Voltage down to 12 this morning drove it for 20 minutes back to 80%

Thanks I suspect it was sat on their forecourt for an age who knows just wanted advice
If it’s a 2018 reg, the van was probably manufactured in 2017, so the batteries are Upto three years old, and have not been maintained!

Many thanks puts me in the right direction to tackle my local VW where I purchased it from

The deciding factor if a battery is shot is if it will hold a charge, many will take a charge and show an initial improvement, only for the voltage to drop rapidly (within days) after charging.
Immediately after a drive the battery maintains a “surface charge” which can look as if the battery has been charged somewhat, however, when this surface charge is discharged the real voltage can be determined

Perfectos thank you so much subscribing into here worth every penny good advice to pursue

rgds and stay safe

I got to my van yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks due to strict lockdown and parking garage 1 1/2 k from my flat. Leisure battery was at 12.3, not ideal, but better than I expected after 6 weeks for a 6 year old van that doesn't have an EHU. Started right up and ran on fast idle for 40 min. with auxiliary coolant heater turned on manually to warm the motor. Also not ideal, but for the time being no other option available.

That is exactly what it is a computer that forms part of a larger computer.
See #38 "Battery maintenance during lockdown". I was taken by surprise by the "Infotainment" drain on my starter battery, definitely not like the old days, but then I have never owned a vehicle with a sat nav. I have also realised that the kit in my Cali is non standard, it's made by Pioneer, but I can't find any designation.
Note-I don't know how to provide a link!

From 60% and up, which chart is correct, this one or @Loz 's?

View attachment 58339
There are numerous charts available from Battery makers and others.
I use the one I posted because I have found that 6 hrs after Mains Charging or 6 hrs after sunset if the Solar is connected, the fully rested/charged Leisure Batteries, after resetting the Control Panel show 12.7 v and 100% Charge.
The Voltage with an accurate digital voltmeter was in fact 12.75v.

So I'll keep to my choice of chart.

Last edited:
And 12.2v is considered the critical level for a battery as below this voltage stultification occurs in Lead acid batteries leading to diminished battery operation and damage to the plates.
you should never allow your batteries to go below this level.

And 12.2v is considered the critical level for a battery as below this voltage stultification occurs in Lead acid batteries leading to diminished battery operation and damage to the plates.
you should never allow your batteries to go below this level.
That is why they use AGM for leisure batteries and start/stop starter batteries. Absorbed Glass Mat will not bend like the lead plates when voltage drops. They can handle a few relatively big discharges before they will be damaged. That is why they are a bit higher in price than normal batteries.

Bare in mind that the electric closers on the side and rear doors draw off the engine battery. I was changing homes and stayed in a campsite with the house batteries connected to the mains. My engine battery completely died and it was entirely down to the door closers. If you have been going in and out a lot this could have contributed.

I’m going to add my 2c on battery voltage.

Actual battery voltage of a rested battery is dependent on temperature.

View attachment 58363
Thank you. When I did my measurements it was a cold , sunny winters day, and the temperature was just above freezing. All fits in.