Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Parking Heater blowing cold

Theodora

Theodora

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We've had a new Beach since March and have used the parking heater in the Spring with success. But today when I tried it was only blowing out cold air. When I phoned a dealership they said I need to have at least a quarter tank of diesel for it to work. So I topped it up to the brim, but it's still blowing cold.

Typically for VW, no detailed instructions for how to programme it came with the van and we never got instructions on handover. So we've just learnt via YouTube videos (in German!) and trial and error. Still can't work-out the timing options so gave up on that and just leave on the 'infinity' setting.

But even if we're novice users/programmers, I can't believe there's actually a 'cool' air setting anyway for what's supposed to be a parking 'heater'. Should I just phone the local dealership for them to assess? Or can someone help to immediately advise with what I'm probably doing wrong?

When it worked in the Spring it was very effective (only needed it on No.2 setting to get warm & cosy). But now on No.10 it's just cool.

Many thanks

We've had a new Beach since March and have used the parking heater in the Spring with success. But today when I tried it was only blowing out cold air. When I phoned a dealership they said I need to have at least a quarter tank of diesel for it to work. So I topped it up to the brim, but it's still blowing cold.

Typically for VW, no detailed instructions for how to programme it came with the van and we never got instructions on handover. So we've just learnt via YouTube videos (in German!) and trial and error. Still can't work-out the timing options so gave up on that and just leave on the 'infinity' setting.

But even if we're novice users/programmers, I can't believe there's actually a 'cool' air setting anyway for what's supposed to be a parking 'heater'. Should I just phone the local dealership for them to assess? Or can someone help to immediately advise with what I'm probably doing wrong?

When it worked in the Spring it was very effective (only needed it on No.2 setting to get warm & cosy). But now on No.10 it's just cool.

Many thanks
Can you hear the fuel pump “ticking”? if You’ve set the temperature to 10 and are giving it a good few minutes to fire up and it’s still cold it sounds like there’s a fault. But it does need a while to get up steam and blows cool air until then.

Sounds like a fuse, it draws a lot of power on startup but I am not sure if the glow plug has a separate fuse to the fan.

Common faults from the internet seem to be with these air in the fuel line (filters) or air sensor getting the temp wrong.

My heater has a ventilation mode too, I am guessing the factory heater doesn't? Worth a check?

Just a thought is your leisure battery charged? Does it get hot with engine running?

Thanks for immediate help/suggestions from everyone. On MattBW's advice I've just hooked-up power to charge the leisure battery as haven't hooked-up since a camping trip in September. Maybe that's it (and wouldn't have thought about that).

Maybe a suggestion to VW to include a "leisure battery low" symbol somewhere on future models?

Any idea how long it takes to charge-up a low/dead leisure battery?

...and, coincidentally MattBW, just before you kindly responded I found a thread where you'd recommended getting a cigarette lighter meter to test the battery level (So l'll order one
from Amazon tonight!). Thanks

Try hook up. Could be low voltage. I know you've filled the tank but it may have some air in it. Try hook up and run it a few times. Also listen for the heater ticking noise from the dosing pump. I had a beach with eberspacher factory park heater and your right there is no cold air setting. Also check out loz amazing fuse list in the download section

Try hook up. Could be low voltage. I know you've filled the tank but it may have some air in it. Try hook up and run it a few times. Also listen for the heater ticking noise from the dosing pump. I had a beach with eberspacher factory park heater and your right there is no cold air setting. Also check out loz amazing fuse list in the download section
Many thanks - I'll leave it hooked-up overnight and see if it's back on track in the morning. I'm hoping it's as simple as that.

Thanks for immediate help/suggestions from everyone. On MattBW's advice I've just hooked-up power to charge the leisure battery as haven't hooked-up since a camping trip in September. Maybe that's it (and wouldn't have thought about that).

Maybe a suggestion to VW to include a "leisure battery low" symbol somewhere on future models?

Any idea how long it takes to charge-up a low/dead leisure battery?

...and, coincidentally MattBW, just before you kindly responded I found a thread where you'd recommended getting a cigarette lighter meter to test the battery level (So l'll order one
from Amazon tonight!). Thanks

i believe the heater should have a low voltage setting that should stop it starting up.

If you find your leisure battery is low and you've been driving around it could suggest that it isn't charging (another fuse to check).

I have one of these in my van, as it shows amps etc, but a simple volt meter is enough for basic judgement of where your battery is.

If you find your leisure battery is low and you've been driving around it could suggest that it isn't charging (another fuse to check).
Given it's a Beach and there's no idle draw on the leisure battery unlike the Coast/SE then unless the OP has left something plugged into the 12V sockets at the back then it's likely that there is a problem with the fuse.

Contrary to what folk have said on here the Eberspacer does have a ventilation mode, you hold the temperature setting at its lowest and it will run just the fan, BUT maybe VW have overridden this feature that I do not know not having tried this in our van.

The instructions do mention ventillation mode but they say its only available on the coolant heater rather than the parking heater.

12.8V.JPGI

Overnight hook-up seems to have cracked-it. Working fine now and blowing out hot air. The plug-in meter read-out also arrived this morning and that was showing 13.2V (with the hook-up unplugged and without the heater on) and then 12.8V when I turned the parking heater on.

The van has been mainly static on the drive for the past few weeks with only an occasional local/short journey, (and I haven't previously hooked-up since a camping holiday in September) - so I guess that's the problem.

I just hope I haven't done any damage to the leisure battery by letting it drain down so much? But thanks for steering me to right place.

I would've had money on that being a blown fuse somewhere, but you live & learn - glad it worked out & mentally filed as one less potential thing to panic about ...

Mine is aftermarket (with only a delightfully simple dial) but I read a lot of posts about the control unit. I hope that the new 6.1 version is more intuitive.

I think you should be fine, as a beach doesnt have any other drains on the system when left, 13.2 is pretty good, leave for an hour should give you the best picture. The heater seems to have stopped you taking a heavy drain by not firing up (but does seem odd that the fan still works) so you will probably be ok with the battery. They recommend 24 hours on hookup once a month to keep it in best condition.

The instructions for the parking heater in the Beach are in the Multivan manual, not the California supplement. They are still not easy to follow - but they do contain the instructions for the timer and everything else.

Yup - just found it on p.116 in my booklet - page now marked...thanks. It also confirms "...it will not switch on if the 12-volt vehicle battery has a low charge level or the fuel tank is empty." So I was guilty of both!

My van is like life ....the more I discover, the more I realise I don't know anything!

Thanks to all for help/guidance

Yup - just found it on p.116 in my booklet - page now marked...thanks. It also confirms "...it will not switch on if the 12-volt vehicle battery has a low charge level or the fuel tank is empty." So I was guilty of both!

My van is like life ....the more I discover, the more I realise I don't know anything!

View attachment 53205I

Overnight hook-up seems to have cracked-it. Working fine now and blowing out hot air. The plug-in meter read-out also arrived this morning and that was showing 13.2V (with the hook-up unplugged and without the heater on) and then 12.8V when I turned the parking heater on.

The van has been mainly static on the drive for the past few weeks with only an occasional local/short journey, (and I haven't previously hooked-up since a camping holiday in September) - so I guess that's the problem.

I just hope I haven't done any damage to the leisure battery by letting it drain down so much? But thanks for steering me to right place.
View attachment 53205I

hey I like the meter with the usbs. Could I ask where it’s from. Cheers karl

Contrary to what folk have said on here the Eberspacer does have a ventilation mode, you hold the temperature setting at its lowest and it will run just the fan, BUT maybe VW have overridden this feature that I do not know not having tried this in our van.
That’s really good to know. Thank you

Just have a look if the voltage increases whilst stationary when the engine is running to make sure its charging from the leisure battery too. :)

Ours simetimes starts without heating coming out, usually it shuts itseflf off after five minutes. Just start it again, repeat for a few times until it starts warming. Its like it wont ignite sometimes. Has been like that since new.

Weirdly enough yesterday my heater was blowing cold air but not getting hot. For some reason my battery was low, maybe I need a new one :( Started engine and warm within a minute.