Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bed in top portion

Could I ask where that weight limit is documented?
Is the Coast bed the same as the Ocean?
I heard of a couple using an Ocean, and one of the pair weighed close to 20stone, which would mean the other would need to be very light :)

Somewhere towards the end of the California supplementary manual there is a list of things like bed weight limits.

Beds are different in the T6 and T6.1 but as far as I know the same in the Beach/Ocean, Coast/Ocean variants.

I heard of a couple using an Ocean, and one of the pair weighed close to 20stone, which would mean the other would need to be very light :)
From the California Brochure, section regarding vehicle weights.
VW take Drivers weight as 75kgms, so as the upper bed can take 2 x Adults then I presume 2 x 75kgms = 150kgms.

7925A649-F5B7-431D-B400-BC9CDFA6294B.jpeg

Thanks for that ... however sorry if I appear stupid .... but is there anywhere that says that 150kg is the weight limit of the upper bed?
I had asked this question of an experienced California User who was adamant that VW did not state a limit ... though obviously there must be a max design load.

Must have a good browse in California brochure :)

If VW have used the logic of bed weight limit is “2 x average adult weight of 75kg” then that is fundamentally flawed logic as it means that half the potential customer population are too heavy to sleep 2 upstairs.
I would have expected it to at least be engineered to cope with the 80/20 rule.
Being 105kg myself that clearly means that they expect me to be paired with a minion/dwarf/munchkin....

If VW have used the logic of bed weight limit is “2 x average adult weight of 75kg” then that is fundamentally flawed logic as it means that half the potential customer population are too heavy to sleep 2 upstairs.
I would have expected it to at least be engineered to cope with the 80/20 rule.
Being 105kg myself that clearly means that they expect me to be paired with a minion/dwarf/munchkin....
Well they have used the logic that the average driver weighs 75kgm.
Personally I would take that 150kgms as a base + 30%. So a maximum of 200kgms.

Would 'heavy' persons not mean uncomfortable sleeping in such a narrow bed anyway?

I don't want to offend anyone here and anywhere, but with a bed with of 120cm on top and 114 down, it is far from really comfortable with 2 larger persons in one bed.
I am 1,95 meters, and there is no way I can sleep with 2 in such a narrow beds. I only weigh 70-ish kgs, so weight wise it is no problem, but due to my length, I sleep diagonally. So this would mean I could only have a very small girlfriend to fit beside me in the California for comfortable sleeping.

I don't say it is impossible, but just for the comfort and night rest.

Would 'heavy' persons not mean uncomfortable sleeping in such a narrow bed anyway?

I don't want to offend anyone here and anywhere, but with a bed with of 120cm on top and 114 down, it is far from really comfortable with 2 larger persons in one bed.
I am 1,95 meters, and there is no way I can sleep with 2 in such a narrow beds. I only weigh 70-ish kgs, so weight wise it is no problem, but due to my length, I sleep diagonally. So this would mean I could only have a very small girlfriend to fit beside me in the California for comfortable sleeping.

I don't say it is impossible, but just for the comfort and night rest.
After 5 years of Hospital On-Call bedrooms and being newly married, 47 years ago, nothing is impossible and we find both California beds perfectly acceptable, but prefer downstairs. Upstairs for the grand children.

Someone saw a sticker once on the bed -max 150kg- and
it has been written in past manuals Like, 2011.

On the german Cali board 200kg has been achieved but don't both
be sitting on the edge at the front.

Good evening,

Me not the lightest person was interested to find out for sure what the weight iimit of the top bed is. So I contacted VW Hannover by email 2 1/2 years ago when we got our Ocean.

VW Hannover confirmed in writing that the maximum load of the top bed of a California is 150 kg.

I feel this is a bit low. I believe that many couples will push that limit. Maybe VW changed this in the T6.1, but I doubt that. I believe that they use as many parts as possible from the the T6 to keep cost down.

So in short, according to VW Hannover the max load of the upper bed is 150 kg.

Happy California.
Eberhard

It isn't quite the point of the OP, but just for general interest a standard double bed size is 135cm x 190cm

It isn't quite the point of the OP, but just for general interest a standard double bed size is 135cm x 190cm
One of the reasons I don't look for anything else at the moment.
All those bigger vans have smaller beds, less "living room", heavier vans, too big to use as daily driver, so you are obliged to buy a car too, ...

I have no use in a bed smaller than 200cm, and even that is too small for me.

The technical data in my California Supplemental booklet says "Bed Load" is150kg's but interestingly does not differentiate between upper or lower.

Look in the California Supplement, page 72, Technical data - Living area, states ”Bed load 150kg”