Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bespoke “California” Conversion

Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So, my local VW Convertor managed to procure a T6 “M1” registered van, with UK sliding door on “passenger” side with a California poptop, which was factory fitted.

The only one in the world apparently - See info in below link and more photos also:

https://instagram.com/p/BjkXCRWH_11/

I have a 2017 Beach, and don’t plan to change it until 2022..... However, this is a new proposal which I’ll give some thought when the time comes.

Using current configurator prices, my ideal Beach comes out at only £3600 less than my ideal Ocean. I get the impression, a decent interior on a conversion will rack-up significantly, then you’ll have the additional depriciation to account for. However, for a truely “bespoke” configuration, this may be to best you can get.

32115DA1-309D-4D83-AA3C-F905CB6E0D20.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting. I guess you could then do an alternative layout like the Westfalia Club City Joker. But then the pop-top pops at the wrong end, damn.

If there was one thing from a California not to fit to a bespoke conversion it would be the roof, not a selling point for me. Purely from a corrosion pov.

I'm with Larry! And at least fit one with a front window canvas if you really want a Cali type roof.

The onus is on the converter to get this tastefully completed in a way that appeals right across the spectrum and it will be massively sought after I'd imagine.

Does it have seats in it?
Apologies in advance but I’m a bit lost.
Are you celebrating the fact that you nearly have a beach for a lot less and a passenger sliding door?
I can’t see your pics on the insta link but would like to know what’s inside....
Top stuff on passenger sliding door though :thumb

Does it have seats in it?
Apologies in advance but I’m a bit lost.
Are you celebrating the fact that you nearly have a beach for a lot less and a passenger sliding door?
I can’t see your pics on the insta link but would like to know what’s inside....
Top stuff on passenger sliding door though :thumb

Some of the interior photos:

Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 22.29.24.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 22.29.37.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 22.29.50.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 22.30.07.png

But that doors on the wrong side! I prefer it on the drivers side.

Surely for the best bespoke conversion you would start off with a highly specced beach to get a parking heater, table in the door & chairs in the boot.

Whilst you are at it , in order to avoid the painted metal/stuck on carpet look, its worth getting all the interior blinds / window trims from a beach.

You probably want some sort of track system on the floor & a bench that makes into a bed - I've noticed vw do those as well in a choice of 2 or 3 seat versions. Only if you buy this van with the door on the wrong side the 2 seat bench wont fit.

Actually thinking about it, the ultimate base for a camper would be a top of the range LWB caravelle with the Ocean roof fitted & rear aircon diverted to the sides of the opening.

If its a consideration think residuals - no one will go shopping for one of these conversions second hand (yes they may find it and be impressed but the audience for cali is larger) and you are saving money as will the next owner

But that doors on the wrong side! I prefer it on the drivers side.

But countless convo buyers over the years will have been brainwashed (by the converters!) that the Cali has its door on the wrong side for UK.

When we were looking at vans first-off, a large conversion company told us "our vans have the door on the correct UK side" ...when I mentioned the Cali. But we saw through his grubby propaganda, haha.

I agree, in that I love having the sliding door on the drivers side. I use the van a lot on my own, or just with with the dog. And having easy access on "my" side, is much preferred to having to walk-around the van all the time.

However, that said, I don't like the way the kitchen unit restricts leg room on the passenger side, in the SE/Ocean. This is a big plus for the Beach for me, as we often just rotate the passenger seat. I suppose the LHD California is the correct setup.

In an ideal world for me, I would like a narrower kitchen unit. Allowing for a wider than SE/Ocean lower bed whilst retaining 3-seats. A lot of conversions have this setup. I'm happy to ditch gas & water, as I find cartridge gas stove and bottled water more convenient for me. However, I would like some storage along the side, a built-in fridge and a bench-top surface to prepare food etc on.

So, to get something in-between the Beach and the Ocean (or even Coast) a conversion from a base vehicle like above, might be a compromise I would consider.

I do understand the market depreciation of a non-Cali, however as I'm a high-user 30,000+ miles per year, after 5x years of ownership, I'm not too worried about resale value, as it'll be on the low side anyway and my-Cali pretty much "pays for itself" during those 5x years also.

Last edited:
I think if you use your van for day to day and/or have children the door on the "UK side" is probably quite attractive. I do sometimes dislike my passengers having to get out into the road. Then again they can talk through the front and get out of the passenger door anyway.

I think if you use your van for day to day and/or have children the door on the "UK side" is probably quite attractive. I do sometimes dislike my passengers having to get out into the road. Then again they can talk through the front and get out of the passenger door anyway.

I think having the door on the drivers side is a benefit, with kids, as the driver its easy to manage whether its safe for them to get out that side or not, I can shut it properly from my seat if its not latched, I can unlatch it for passengers that don't know where the latch is.

As you say if its not safe to use the side door they can always go out through the front.

If the kitchen was on the drivers side it would restrict the movement of that seat when rotated, as the steering wheel is there we tend to slide that seat further to the rear of the van than the passenger one because of the steering wheel.

I think it's down to individual taste there is pros and cons for each I personally prefer it on the driver-side but I can also see the argument for the other side that's why I've got one on each side now.....door that is :)

Back