Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Wave Conversions

Have any (transporter) converters invested in bespoke water tanks like the Cali or is 40% of the cupboard space still filled with plastic jerry cans?

Have any (transporter) converters invested in bespoke water tanks like the Cali or is 40% of the cupboard space still filled with plastic jerry cans?
I think (?) some do under body tanks.

By way of update we are going down the Sprinter route with something built for us completely bespoke.

Just make sure you're 100% certain, its what you want/need.
I've gone bigger and now looking for another Cali.
:thumb

I think (?) some do under body tanks.
I know that's common for the crafter conversions but haven't seen them advertised for Transporters. It was the biggest benefit for me in (10 years ago) moving from a Reimo conversion to a string of Cali's. It was enough of a benefit to even overcome vw's stupid over engineered £50 cupboard hinges and fragile tambour doors. (etc ;))

I had similar reservations to everyone about resale attractiveness in a market crammed with brand new conversions. That didn’t worry me too much though!

My choice for a Cali was based on finding spare parts in five years time. Converters all use the most economical bits and bobs for their living gear, where did they source them?What was the brand? f that lighting rig fails, how do I find something the same size to fit?

In the end we went for the more conservative, less exciting Cali and we love it.
What evidence do you have that all convertors use the most economical bits and bobs?

What do they use as " Base" vehicles?
Are they " Approved VW Associates " so they can order base vehicles from VW, although that might be a problem at the moment as I believe VW have closed the order books for VW T6.1 commercial vehicles.
You can source your own base vehicle as long as you make sure you buy the right specification that will be suitable for a conversion.

What evidence do you have that all convertors use the most economical bits and bobs?
No business puts in uneconomical bits and bobs do they?
To elaborate
There are three possibilities for a lighting rig A and B and C, slightly different sizes A is much cheaper.
One year later A went out of business, its stock was too cheap. B is used instead.

One year later C is much cheaper.

Consumer can’t replace A, it’s no longer sold. Will have to source B or C , brand names unknown, and modify housing to fit new part.

In a Cali, the part is the part. In normal times it can be sourced.

Is this all based on a previous bad experience? If you plan carefully and understand how your conversion is being built, you'll know that most If not all parts can be easily replaced should they ever need to be.

Not to disappoint.

Went looking at Hymer and saw this new go anywhere Model which has the WOW factor in spades as does the £196K price tag!

I managed to add a few extras and get the price at £208,430
Great! I like Hymer. Ever been to the Erwin Hymer museum? It is mighty beautiful and other brands and even caravans are also discussed. You can even spend the night with your camper. And good food. Recommended.
552CA4DE-B067-442C-825D-4554C681DAD6.jpeg
Us -with the t4 westfalia- at the parking with the Museum on the background.

And make sure the correct strengthening is completed in the roof. VW don't just cut a hole in a Transporter and call it a goodun.
Having previously retro fitted a California roof I can tell you how little difference in the installation there is between an OE roof and any decent aftermarket pop top.

Knights Custom Conversions. Don't think you will find better if you want to go that route.

Other good ones though are:
NWCC
Three Bridge
EcoWagen
Bodans
Sherwood
VanWorx
Jerba

Some of the above have VW accreditation so hold their money well on the second hand market. I made £6.5K on one of the above having owned it for 6 years.
Current wait on a Jerba order is 22 months :oops:

I posted recently as I've been looking at taking the plunge with a California again and whilst having looked at a lot of conversions too (I prefer the bespoke finish of them and variety over the rather dull and Conservative interior of the California) I kept coming back to the "safe" option of the California. However, I have recently started looking specifically at New Wave Custom Conversions and the ecowagon conversions both of which really look a superb product certainly on a par with the two California I have owned. Just wondering if there's anyone on here who might have been through the sane process and had any experience with either convertor because they are two companies most likely to get my money over a California. Cheers
These guys work with new wave…but the prices!

Haven't decided yet and still looking hut suggestions welcome. Doncaster Van Conversions is one name given to me that comes highly recommended

There’s a few (big van converters) shut their doors over the last year. I don’t think the profit is in bigger vans, as they’re so labour intensive.
But Celtic has re-launched as

Or

Dirty weekender.
By all accounts long lead times.
12-18months

Yes this is what I'm finding. Most including new wave have stopped doing bespoke too and focusing on a generic model to meet demand.

Tbh I'm loving the look of voyage adventure vans right now. We are having 3/4 french fixed bed in rear n/s corner with wet room in the corner next to it. Behind the wet room accessed from rear double doors is a lined area with drain in floor for drying wet suits etc. Under bed storage with solar controls and electrics in side. Large mid wardrobe on a diagonal opposite kitchen work top with oven and integrated 90l fridge, pop up work top extension, rib seat/ bed with removable table and swivelling captains chairs bespoke leather trim, auto gearbox solar with lion battery storage.

I just saw an add for Vanworx crafter. Another converter worth considering :thumb

These guys work with new wave…but the prices!

The quality of the finish on those vans is amazing. I looked at the blue one for £91,000 and it looks almost as good as a Cali.

I was left wondering though, where do you put your camping gear, chairs, potty, bbq, gas, duvets? I couldn’t quite work out what options that rear seat gave.

Last edited:
I was left wondering though, where do you put your camping gear, chairs, potty, bbq, gas, duvets? I could quite work out what options that rear seat gave.

That’s the issue with lots of conversions.
Can look really good, until you try and load it up. The biggest issue, is clothes. Clothes can take up a lot of room, when you’re travelling for a couple of weeks…

That’s the issue with lots of conversions.
Can look really good, until you try and load it up. The biggest issue, is clothes. Clothes can take up a lot of room, when you’re travelling for a couple of weeks…
Totally agree. We were discussing this as we often think about getting something different or bigger. The lack of storage space in some vans is crazy.
I love the ‘boot’ in our Cali.