Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali vs Conversion - another slant

Hi,

I’m a newbie, we’ve decided we want a Cali or equivalent conversion and are trying to learn the ropes. I know there are plenty of debates around the relative merits of the Cali compared with a conversion but I’ve got a more specific question on that subject. For me, the quality of the cab and whole driving experience is relatively important. We’ve looked at a new Cali and were really impressed by it, I thought the cab was excellent. However lots of conversions I see online look like they are based on a pretty basic Transporter, so you end up with a utilitarian cab which I’m not keen on at all. My question is, will most decent conversion companies allow you to precisely choose the spec of your donor van, and is it possible to spec a T6 Transporter Kombi so that from the drivers seat it is just as good as a Cali, e.g. when it comes to the cab ambience, driving, options, noise suppression, etc? I imagine the opinions of most of you might lean towards a standard Cali being better but thought I’d ask anyway :)

Thanks
We looked at a conversion by Danbury which has the bed using the full width of the van, utilising the rotated front seats. Sounds good but the trade off is storage space, which is we’re the Cali won out.
Interesting spec tho
Good luck

Andy

When I was looking 4 yrs ago I started with the vehicle spec and approached a number of converters who were VW partners, able to buy base vehicles from VW to convert. I had the same story from all, VW wouldn’t sell them that spec vehicle. I would have to buy myself and then they would convert. That worked out more expensive than the equivalent California. And they would only offer a years warranty on the Conversion side of things.

When I was looking 4 yrs ago I started with the vehicle spec and approached a number of converters who were VW partners, able to buy base vehicles from VW to convert. I had the same story from all, VW wouldn’t sell them that spec vehicle. I would have to buy myself and then they would convert. That worked out more expensive than the equivalent California. And they would only offer a years warranty on the Conversion side of things.
Says it al really, I nearly pulled the trigger on one from Dirty Weekenders but had the same experience as you WelshGas. So ordered a new High Line panel van from my dealer, with the intention of fitting it out myself. I thought the Cali was out of my price bracket. I mean what kind of fool blows 45k on a camper (2014). The van arrived, we went to collect it and what was parked out front but a Cali 4 hours later and a lot of prompting from the other half it was ours. We were camping in it the next weekend, if I had gone the other route I would have been working on a panel van for months. On to our third now.

Once you have a California all the shortcomings of the alternative conversions become easy to identify.
A walk around the NEC show quickly proves that the Cali design, although a compromise due to space, is the most practical with the ability to move the bench seat, have reasonable storage, beds that are as similar to a house bed as possible. Not to mention the basic van spec.

My conclusion is that to improve on a Cali means going up in vehicle size, such as the Grand or one the pretty vast range of larger van conversions by the professional Caravan/Motorhome Manufacturers.

Just as an aside. This morning there was a Coast parked behind me. Youngish couple, we’ll younger than me. We were both getting ready to leave. We both wound up the electric leads and then proceeded to lower the roof. I was away driving before he had finished locking down the roof. I know the Hydraulic Roof can have its problems but I do like the convenience.

Just as an aside. This morning there was a Coast parked behind me. Youngish couple, we’ll younger than me. We were both getting ready to leave. We both wound up the electric leads and then proceeded to lower the roof. I was away driving before he had finished locking down the roof. I know the Hydraulic Roof can have its problems but I do like the convenience.

He probably doesn’t know how to use it.
The manual roof will open and close in half the time of the electric roof.
If they start to offer an Ocean with manual roof, I will probably look to change.
I am not a fan of the electric roof...

He probably doesn’t know how to use it.
The manual roof will open and close in half the time of the electric roof.
If they start to offer an Ocean with manual roof, I will probably look to change.
I am not a fan of the electric roof...
He knew. :thumb

He probably didn't know he was in a race. :D
Who was in a race. I went for a wee before heading out and he was still playing around with the catches. :shocked

A lot of converters are now using the California bed because i was told by exploria it’s the best ..these guys do very very nice conversions..some 80k
I like conversions always have,some are crap though.too many people jumped on the bandwagon.but the likes of reimo and exploria to name a few do nice vans.
Before owning a Cali I had 3 reimo van conversions on t4s I do miss the grill ...
U cannot beat cheese on toast after a few pints.;)

A lot of converters are now using the California bed because i was told by exploria it’s the best ..these guys do very very nice conversions..some 80k
I like conversions always have,some are crap though.too many people jumped on the bandwagon.but the likes of reimo and exploria to name a few do nice vans.
Before owning a Cali I had 3 reimo van conversions on t4s I do miss the grill ...
U cannot beat cheese on toast after a few pints.;)
A Ridgemonkey will do that and very nice toasties as well.

Says it al really, I nearly pulled the trigger on one from Dirty Weekenders....

Same as you and around the same time I think too! He was able to get the right spec for me but the price just went up and up. Ended up paying 4K less for the Cali (admittedly this was 18 months old vs new conversion)

The thing I like most of all is that you know that there are others with the same setup as you and a group of people you can ask for advice.

Conversions can be stunning, but as they’re pretty much bespoke you’re never quite sure about how to do things properly, or where to get that elusive spare or which add on bit of kit will fit etc

Plus you can max at 60MPH legally on a dual carriageway in a conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've noticed that converters usually apply noise suppression, that should give heat/cold insulation as well, directly to the van outer panels. Cali has none and relies on the inner trim for these functions.

Just wonder if anyone has been able to compare the inside temps between the two builds when parked adjacently?

Not scientific but don’t forget that the Cali is double glazed and that combined with the inner trim (which is pretty substantial) should offer way more in terms of overall insulation. Zero condensation too. We hired a well-known conversion type before we bought and it was pretty boomy/noisy and not very warm/damp windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was in a race. I went for a wee before heading out and he was still playing around with the catches. :shocked
If that's true then he definitely didn't know how to drop it.
5 seconds for the roof to drop.
10 seconds to look outside to check for canvas
10 seconds to pull down fully and then close the clasps.
5 seconds to slide the roof cover across.

Obv all approximate timings but definitely not longer than an electric roof and a trip to the toilet!

If that's true then he definitely didn't know how to drop it.
5 seconds for the roof to drop.
10 seconds to look outside to check for canvas
10 seconds to pull down fully and then close the clasps.
5 seconds to slide the roof cover across.

Obv all approximate timings but definitely not longer than an electric roof and a trip to the toilet!
You don't have to convince me, just yourself.:thumb

Here is an example of a converted van, which is truly sh1t, yet had a massive budget. Spending more doesn’t mean it’s any better.

Here is an example of a converted van, which is truly sh1t, yet had a massive budget. Spending more doesn’t mean it’s any better.

Its a design exercise man! Chillout for gods sake. :D

If that’s what he creates with an unlimited budget, could you imagine the dogs dinner on £50k...?
:talktothehand

Struggling with that... exactly which bit was 'designed'? Looks like a surplus parts bin collaboration between DubsBling (Thanet) Ltd and Oak Furniture Land.
:headbang ;)

I went to see these guys in Shrewsbury. Lovely family run business actually. The boss is a cabinet maker hence all the cabinet work. The problem is although the work of an artisan is to be admired, wood is just plain old fashioned and thats its issue.

The leather work is first class also and comfortable.

I asked if if i bought one would they leave the inner window surrounds off as myself along with others think they look awful. Wasnt really happy but was prepared to do it.

The clincher though was when I pointed out the finished cost was no less than a cali and they agreed.