Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali vs Conversion - another slant

Interesting. What spec was your van for your £25k? Tailgate?, engine power?, Air con / climate?

For comparison (in advance of your answers) I bought a 6 month old Ocean from VW with 7k miles, 150 DSG, Alcantara, mettalic, posh sat nav etc for just under £49k. I wonder if this gap (my 49 and the showroom 68) is where the difference lies?

As I said earlier ours was a Trendline T30, metallic, with A/C, and what the salesman called a media pack, bigger screen, reverse sensor etc. We wanted barn doors but I am not sure we got that right to be honest. I think your right that some of the gap is in new and second hand. We ended up with a 8 month old van but it felt brand new due to the conversion. At £37K it was still cheaper though I do though appreciate that it will not keep its price like a Cali.

Hi Ey, I understand the rail beside the bench under the sink is to hang the dining table on, no? But how do you approach than the two front chairs when you're four dining? And where is that table then stored? Or is it the sliding door one?
The rail is for the table and to be honest I don’t think it would be very good at all for four but there are generally only two of us. However, yes we do have a free standing one that fits back in the door.

Ultimately, I think those that say each to their own are right. It is all about getting out there.
Happy camping indeed !

So many interesting opinions here, thanks for all your thoughts. Since my first posting we’ve been to the NEC and think we’ve narrowed down to 3 converters we like the look of so going to visit each of them over the next few weeks.
Unfortunately further research suggests the Cali really won’t be an option for us. We’d need the ocean as we want the cooker and sink, but not only is the lower bed too narrow but we found from our local vw van centre that the weight limit for the upper bed is only 150 kg, so not enough for both of us. We found that Reimo offer roof bed options that officially take 200 kg, and that other converters’ lower beds were wider than the Cali’s while still having adequately deep cupboards. The idea of LWB is quite nice but even the SWB will be squeeze on our drive.
Back to the original reason for posting, I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating and I’ll need to test drive my preferred options. I did test drive a Transit Custom conversion yesterday, didn’t like it very much, noisy and rattly just like a panel van.

I have a Reimo bed on my van. The thing is doesn't have is the slats. You might want to look at SCA for that.

I have a Reimo bed on my van. The thing is doesn't have is the slats. You might want to look at SCA for that.

That’s true for the standard Reimo bed, however we found one, for a price, which had Froli springs, which was very comfy and (claimed to) support a greater weight.

Ah, I must have the (very expensive) basic roof then. It's very good, actually, ours seems to be exactly the same now as when we got it, despite living at the seaside, on a south facing drive with last winter.

Another good idea, though perhaps not as we head into winter, is to try renting before you buy. This is easy with a Cali or Marco Polo, since they are so plentiful, but not always so straightforward with other converters.

The only reputable firm I know of offhand are Jerba, who will rent you one for a week and refund it if you decide to buy, I believe.

My converter has a van for rent, AJC Conversions, Glossop. Nice, nice people.

Another good idea, though perhaps not as we head into winter, is to try renting before you buy. This is easy with a Cali or Marco Polo, since they are so plentiful, but not always so straightforward with other converters.

This is certainly something we plan to do (and not going to let winter scare us off as it’s something we want to use all year round) though unlikely we can do it for the exact conversions we’re looking at, and would need to be not too far from the Home Counties.

Back to one of the subjects in my original post... from what I’ve read, a Cali will be way better than a standard T6 conversion from a noise suppression angle. A few high-end converters include dynamat soundproofing as an option, has anybody any experience that this would bring it close to the refinement of a Cali? Given a Cali isn’t going to work for us, I guess I’ll have to live with a bit of a compromise on this point, but I’d be pretty disappointed if we shelled out on a beautiful looking conversion that drove like a builders van...

The biggest problem with a conversion, is the sliding door is on the wrong side of the van...
This is certainly something we plan to do (and not going to let winter scare us off as it’s something we want to use all year round) though unlikely we can do it for the exact conversions we’re looking at, and would need to be not too far from the Home Counties.

Morning
My tiny bit of feedback:
I use the Cali everyday as a main vehicle: extremely comfy and a pleasure to drive. When we camp ( not as often as others...) a pleasure to use.
I very nearly bought a conversion from Uberbus (impressive build and nice chap ) but in the end resale value ( no intention but just in case...) made me buy the Ocean.
Incidentally, I had to borrow a brand new LWB T6 while mine had the towbar fitted and the drive was positively uncomfortable compared with mine.
Cheers

Back to one of the subjects in my original post... from what I’ve read, a Cali will be way better than a standard T6 conversion from a noise suppression angle. A few high-end converters include dynamat soundproofing as an option, has anybody any experience that this would bring it close to the refinement of a Cali? Given a Cali isn’t going to work for us, I guess I’ll have to live with a bit of a compromise on this point, but I’d be pretty disappointed if we shelled out on a beautiful looking conversion that drove like a builders van...

I don’t know the Cali has any insulating properties.
I presume the extra refinement is sound deadening around the engine bay and some softer touches to the door upholstery and better carpeting within the cab.

Ours are sound proofed and thermally insulated including the floor.

I'm no expert although have the experience of building five VW campers during the past fourteen years. All have been built on new vehicles. If anyone is interested in building their own and would like to talk or look then feel free to call.

I go over the Cali v Conversion thing in my head most days.

I have always wanted a California, having had a converted T5 previously. We have 3 dogs, and have just started doing agility and flyball. We have come to the conclusion that a California no longer fits our needs. Not enough space and flexibility for us.

My issue exactly, 3 dogs need a big box. So I have no seats in the back & the compromise is the bench seat.

Do you have any photos of your conversion Jay?

Are you in the FB group or the T6 Forum? I don't have PMs here & don't want to take the thread more OT.

Are you in the FB group or the T6 Forum? I don't have PMs here & don't want to take the thread more OT.

I'm on the FB group but can't access it until about 1730

I've noticed that converters usually apply noise suppression, that should give heat/cold insulation as well, directly to the van outer panels. Cali has none and relies on the inner trim for these functions.

Just wonder if anyone has been able to compare the inside temps between the two builds when parked adjacently?

Seen on the T6 forum on FB today, guy selling his self build conversion for £55k and no heater, not sure where the price comes from.

I have seen several converters who give a price to convert "your own van" Several thoughts come to thought, you have to trust a converter with a high-value asset with a 3rd party who will cut holes in it (what happens if they go bust, and what happens to VW warranty) the other thought is with a Cali warranty work has a national network for both van and camping parts, converters you will have to travel back the converter for camping parts. I sure some converters would offer a bespoke high spec van - if you do not ask you could visit a motorhome show and test the water. At the end of the day as @ArunAlec said it may be a non-starter as the cost of conversions soon reach Cali prices. We looked at both conversions and Cali's and the Cali was the only way for us.
Also the Cali seem to hold its value more than a conversion, certainly not knocking the conversion I nearly went that route at the beginning but after costing it all up the Cali won.

I was trying to wind them up on there the other day. Someone wanted advice Cali/Conversion. Had the usual door on wrong side etc and the usual Cali hate.
There are so many positives to the Cali design that most don’t see.
It’s the blingy kitchen, where doors can’t open with the bed made, limited access to the fridge the restrictive fixed bed that’s clad in bespoke material that’s apparently individual but been done 1000 times already that sells the Campervan dream.
I could go on and on...

But yeah, £55k. That’s because it’s cost them that if not more to convert a slightly specced panel van.
Madness.

Converted makes sense on a shoestring budget, but not when your getting north of £25k